Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

SOPA panic

Phoenix

SOPA panic
January 16, 2012, 07:28:55 PM
That means they're going to be blacked out, offline. Various metal websites have weighed in on the SOPA issue. What are you going to do?

Strike Against SOPA

If passed, do the new online piracy laws risk affecting the DLA?

What am I going to do? Nothing, because I don't care. Perhaps government ruining the internet may turn out to be a good thing. I say this because there is a good chance that we can restore goodwill in society by being forced to interact face to face...again.

Re: SOPA panic
January 17, 2012, 11:56:01 AM
I think Mr. Waaagh is saying whats on all of our minds, if the internet shut down it would be the greatest victory for sanity that has happened for decades.

Phoenix

January 17, 2012, 02:50:21 PM
I'm not going to be taking any action either - I don't believe online piracy can be stopped in the foreseeable future, no matter how strict the laws, there are always ways around them on the internet. But I hear some websites are taking defensive actions, if they have stuff like the DLA's audiofile section that could get them into trouble.

January 17, 2012, 03:20:09 PM
The responses in this thread are chilldish.  The internet is a tool like any other and it can be used for good or ill.  You've all made your own uses out of it, but if you don't thnk your conduct can be trusted while on it, you are welcome to leave, without the governnment treating you like a kindergartener and giving you limited access.  

And quit with this "authotitarianism is going to save the internet" attitude.  This law isn't going to threaten idiotic social networks and online commerce.  There is too much money in it.  If anything, it will probably end up subsidizing those who make frequent use of them.  That would fit the usual pattern.

January 17, 2012, 03:29:17 PM
I think Mr. Waaagh is saying whats on all of our minds, if the internet shut down it would be the greatest victory for sanity that has happened for decades.

Pretty much this. I'm in no way advocating that it do be shut down. However, I do think human society might beneifit from interaction with more than a picture avatar and a name.

If you've ever seen a neighborhood during a power outage, it is quite amusing. The whole place explodes with laughter, children playing, the parents joking and catching up between themselves. The kind of things that were common place when I was growing up before social networking, AIM and text messaging. Perhaps the most simultaniously funny and depressing thing about a power outage is how like rats everyone scurrys back inside the moment power is restored.

January 17, 2012, 03:35:25 PM
Kind of like a brief escape from a prison we have made for ourselves.

Why not start a movement where we try to escape those prisons by our own freewill.  I know it didn't work for Emerson in the end.  The world he was trying to protect is long gone.

January 17, 2012, 03:47:04 PM
Its surprisingly difficult to find others who share similar ambitions to disconnect from the "prison." The only person I know who is genuinely interested is a former friend turned drug addict who only wants to build a community that will sit around, do acid and listen to dubstep all day. No thanks.

Phoenix

January 17, 2012, 04:01:59 PM
For the record, I don't even own a cell phone.

January 17, 2012, 05:36:30 PM
Unfortunately, my work dictates the neccessity of a cell phone. They are most handy in car breakdown situations. Or the event that my bike tire goes flat during my commute.

January 17, 2012, 06:02:15 PM
Well let's not make it a contest to see who is the most austere, though I will mention that bike tires went out before cell phones...

January 17, 2012, 08:48:07 PM
The internet is the best tool for information, not that reading in the pc is the best way... but once you get the information you want, if it is long, you print it. There is information, important stuff, that would not be possible otherwise.

January 18, 2012, 12:15:55 AM
Well let's not make it a contest to see who is the most austere, though I will mention that bike tires went out before cell phones...

Let's just say that the bike isn't a choice either.

January 18, 2012, 12:44:37 AM
Reddit states they will shut down their social networking website operations in about 12 hours as an act of protest. I'm skeptical that this will directly affect the ostensible goal of "stopping SOPA". What they're really trying to do is cultivate loyalty among the vast majority of the existing users. To do otherwise would to in turn summon a protest from this user base against themselves. This illustrates the way in which the herd/crowd wins its arguments only by the diseased ill logic of its mere great numbers and its directed rage. Logical decision making instead of mass pressure is why the democratic crowd must always be suppressed (or likely ignored as in the case with SOPA) in order for any civilization to remain sustainable.

January 18, 2012, 11:08:02 AM
I notice Metal Archives has joined in. For what it's worth, striking does brint this to a lot of people's attention who would otherwise have just ignored it at the bottom of a list of headlines. Aside from raising awareness this seems to be a total gimmick.