Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metal to write stories to

Metal to write stories to
October 22, 2006, 07:51:41 AM
Hey all. I started writing in my spare time about 2 years ago, after I got bored and really just wanted to experiment a bit. I had the idea for 2 or maybe 3 books of a story that would be about religion and the affect it can have on people, but with a whole load of crazy crap on the side too. I'm not looking to create a literary masterpiece, I just like to write whenever I get the urge.

I stopped writing about half a year ago, due to a loss of direction and now I think I am ready to take it up again, I'll probably end up re-writing a lot of the stuff I've already put to paper. It's going to include some nationalist, pagan and nihilistic themes, as well as the original anti-church basis.

OK I have probably wrote enough now for everyone to justifiably write me off (pun not intended but embraced anyway) as a moron etc, so I'll just ask:

What metal (or any non-metal) makes a good listen, or even could give me some inspiration, while I write?

I used to listen to Iron Maiden (very good), Nightwish, Emperor, early Cradle, and Dimmu Borgir, as that was all I had at the time.

Any ideas fellows?

Re: Metal to write stories to
October 22, 2006, 01:09:57 PM
Well first you got to dispose of any cradle or dimmu burgur influences  that they had on your personal existence, and then you could start thinking about writing about metal material

October 22, 2006, 02:22:35 PM
Well first you got to dispose of any cradle or dimmu burgur influences  that they had on your personal existence, and then you could start thinking about writing about metal material

why are these influences negative?

October 22, 2006, 03:07:50 PM
why are these influences negative?

Candy black metal encourages simplistic thinking?

I write propaganda to Asphyx.

October 22, 2006, 03:16:12 PM

Candy black metal encourages simplistic thinking?

I write propaganda to Asphyx.

why does it? ANSWER ME PEOPLE

edit: cradle and dimmu may be 'candy' black metal, but it doesn't make their song material any more "simple".

dani filth is (was) a brilliant lyricist, as is the dimmu crew. just because they don't say the same stuff as true BM does, doesn't make what they write any less genius.

October 22, 2006, 04:44:08 PM
Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Opeth, Katatonia, Nine Inch Nails, Lacuna Coil, Dimmu Borgir

October 22, 2006, 04:55:07 PM
I formally request user blitzkrieg banned from METAL FORUMS and this post be used in the future as a disclaimer for Sign-up saying: "Pull this shit and you're out of here, kids"

October 22, 2006, 07:00:19 PM
Actually he is right. Just because their music isn't true black, does that mean their lyrics are shit? What about those 'tr00 kvlt' bands that sing about hail satan 666 fuck god...very intelligent.

Besides, even simple things can inspire complex thought.

October 23, 2006, 02:28:14 AM
Actually he is right. Just because their music isn't true black, does that mean their lyrics are shit? What about those 'tr00 kvlt' bands that sing about hail satan 666 fuck god...very intelligent.

Invalid reasoning, X is dumb but so it Y, so it's ok to listen to X? How about dropping both X and Y. Intelligent art begets intelligent art.

Would you read Where's Waldo right after reading a literary master piece?

Obviously with music it's somewhat more debatable what is intelligent, but as no one has actually claimed CoF or DB are intelligent, the arguement has been what's wrong with stupid music? And well, why exactly would you feel like listening to something you know is flawed?

October 23, 2006, 03:19:37 AM
 "Candy black metal encourages simplistic thinking?"

He's saying it's shit on the basis that it's 'candy' black metal. I was pointing out that just because a band is part of a certain genre it doesn't necesarrily mean their lyrics suck. The last comment I made was there because even if people think it's simple it doesn't mean it can't inspire better thought.

Vajra

October 23, 2006, 05:48:37 AM

Apart from jackasses, who says most of these bands are any good either?

Without the intention to market Black Metal to a mass audience, or to be in a position to innovate like old Enslaved, Immortal, Burzum, etc. I don't think CoF or Dimmu Borgir would have anything to write at all.

October 23, 2006, 06:41:09 AM
The point was that bands lyrical content should not be judged by it's genre.

Black metal was inspired by the unintelligent lyrics you all despise so much, but look what it has turned into? As I said before, simple things can still inspire complex thought.

Vajra

October 23, 2006, 07:01:49 AM
The point was that bands lyrical content should not be judged by it's genre.

I know what the point was, but didn't feel too inclined to respond to it because all this talk about cleaving to conventions in varying degrees is quite worthless.

Black metal was inspired by the unintelligent lyrics you all despise so much, but look what it has turned into? As I said before, simple things can still inspire complex thought.

Are you referring to something like Venom? It's not like their lyrical influence outweighed the 'Classical' traits of early Black Metal music, regardless of whether 'Satan' dominated the aesthetic (and he usually didn't). If anything, Venom's presentation was used as a modern vessel for the older ideals that Black Metal began to convey around 'Blood, Fire, Death' (which, according to my knowledge, marks the start of the refining of Classical influence in Black Metal).

According to that, music comes before lyrics. As far as intelligent art goes, lyrics become more like notes and rhythms produced by the vocal instrument. The fact that lyrics have relevance to the music simply becomes a matter of convenience for the artist if they want to aid the listener in understanding the ideas of the piece. The music should be sufficient to convey the intentions of a piece.

Maybe that's why CoF's lyrics are so verbose.

October 23, 2006, 07:37:03 AM

Invalid reasoning, X is dumb but so it Y, so it's ok to listen to X? How about dropping both X and Y. Intelligent art begets intelligent art.

Would you read Where's Waldo right after reading a literary master piece?

Obviously with music it's somewhat more debatable what is intelligent, but as no one has actually claimed CoF or DB are intelligent, the arguement has been what's wrong with stupid music? And well, why exactly would you feel like listening to something you know is flawed?

I didn't know DB and CoF were flawed, and I didn't know that they compared like Wheres Waldo to LOTR.

I was asking for positive responses, not OMFG, YOR TASTE IN MUSIC SUCKS, THEY ARE SO FKN STUPID, I DONT EVEN LISTEN TO DOSE BANDS, DEY ARE STUPID. If you want to insult them, try extending your one liners into something a bit more descriptive, perhaps include a reason, or an arguement?

Read their lyrics, and try not to be so biased just cos you have the idea in your head that you want to hate these bands. Not every band outside of tr00 black metal is a fucking council house estate moron struggling to fist down some words to shout about.

October 23, 2006, 10:15:34 AM
No doubt ChristianHolocaust's term 'candy black metal' included not only heavy metal with BM vocals like CoF, but also the bands that obsess over the 'True' scene and don't innovate.

CoF or Dimmu don't say anything that hasn't been said before. Their musical structuring lacks true artistic genius and plays around basic formations that don't even compare to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. You fail also to see that lyrics are secondary in the overall musical scheme. Just because there easy to decipher doesn't make them the primary vehicle of meaning within music.

Look here and stop preaching individualism.