Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Metal to write stories to

Re: Metal to write stories to
October 31, 2006, 11:09:16 PM
i don't really understand what people mean when they say true black metal. After all mayhem, burzum, enslaved, emperor, immortal and darkthrone all sound very different from each other and tried to be as different from each other as possible so i don't get the idea of true black metal (only musical not ideologically)    

November 01, 2006, 12:56:56 AM
i don't really understand what people mean when they say true black metal. After all mayhem, burzum, enslaved, emperor, immortal and darkthrone all sound very different from each other and tried to be as different from each other as possible so i don't get the idea of true black metal (only musical not ideologically)    

Music communicates. If what is said is similar, or has a similar spirit, the bands are joined by artistic and not musical factors.

Like, totally fuckin' obvious, when you think about it?

Dunkelheit

November 01, 2006, 03:06:26 AM

Walt said in this thread that one of the reasons CoF were shit was because one of their songs had multiple references to the self. explain.

I don't mean individualism in the modern sense. Those references to the self were about emotions and the daily life of a person. When I speak of the individual I'm speaking of a person gaining strength through thought and experience and transcending the mundane. The ideals of metal are a little more esoteric than the goals of society. Yes they can be applied to a group of people but only individuals will come up with and embrace these ideals. Metal is for the free thinker, the loner, the individual, not for the sheeple.

Both types of people can end up liking metal but for different reasons.

November 01, 2006, 03:09:24 AM
one of the reasons CoF were shit was because one of their songs had multiple references to the self

Refering to the self is only negative in certain context.
It is my opinion that the lyrics of cradle, in concert with the image they project, appeals to the masses of metal idiots because by association they 'assimilate' what the band are projecting.

In other words listening to cradle makes the fans 'goth and like totally Xtreme'.

To a fan of the music it may seem oblique to make such assumptions, why if you strip away the faux blood and vampire teeth and other petty theatrics and focus on the music they make...

Look at the band as a nihilist, no human action is done without intent, cradle employ their image because it is a continuation of what they aspire to in their music.

Trust not the man who desires the reverence of others

Linkin park pursue similar ends, what their music conveys should be blatantly obvious:
"Look at me Look at me, your not giving me attention so now ill threaten to cut myself untill you love me"

Cradle simply replace the self pity with a form of elitism. However the logic is backwards, the 'elitism' is a social apparition, something done for the appreciation of others, as opposed to something like the musical elitism that ANUS espouses which is done for the promotion of hessian culture.

Psychology of Image

Cradle represents individualism, selfish caprophagic individualism that leads nowhere and acheives empty hollow nothing.

A songs lyrics serve as a sort of appendix, giving specific meaning to the sometimes ambiguous musical phrases, something like "My journey to the Stars" by Burzum conjures majestic images. The lyrics, though self oriented, detail transcendence.

Just because a song has self referencing lyrics doesn't make it bad, it depends on the context.

On listening to cradle one might look past filth's lyric writing abilities and notice how the songs perpetuate image by constantly bringing the listener into the fantasy.
Fantasies, thats what they are. It's a nice idea really, the way they sell image, except that it has no place in reality,it is a 'social crutch' in the whoring of something so transient and insubstantial as image.