Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Audiofile and Megaupload

Re: Audiofile and Megaupload
January 21, 2012, 02:49:53 AM
If you aren't going to upload your own stuff, at least look for the files in 320kbps.

I think the point of Audiofile is not to enable piracy, but to provide try-before-you-buy, with the exception of out-of-print items and demos.

January 21, 2012, 08:19:08 AM
I think I still have an active mediafire account, I'll check the threads for bands I have and upload whatever needs uploading.

January 21, 2012, 07:15:36 PM
UPDATE:  I posted a bunch of Beherit links, but it's not showing up at the time being.  In any event, I have all the text saved on a Word file in case it's lost.  So, in essence, Beherit is taken care of.

Question:  I actually don't really know much about this whole SOPA thing - are all the Megaupload links completely and utterly gone for good?  Is that the assumption, here?  JewishPhysics:  should we maybe hold off on deleting Megaupload links?  On the outside chance they somehow "come back?"
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

January 21, 2012, 09:26:19 PM
JewishPhysics:  should we maybe hold off on deleting Megaupload links?  On the outside chance they somehow "come back?"
I've considered this and instead of making a decision, I'm just going half-and-half.  I'm trying to leave major threads alone for the most part, but I'm taking this time to recycle a bunch of crap that's filling up the Audiofile.  If megaupload goes back online, maybe I'll "resign" to keep from fucking the place up.

January 21, 2012, 10:07:18 PM
would someone be kind enough to do Resuscitator's Cursed Visions From His Infernal Realm?  I can only find crap rips of it and I'm pretty sure it's out of print. 

January 22, 2012, 04:28:51 PM
JP:  sounds like a good strategy.  10-4.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

January 22, 2012, 10:00:25 PM
Has anyone here tried Spotify? (http://www.spotify.com/us/)

While there are some drawbacks (requires a facebook account to register; free accounts can listen only on a computer; most importantly, the music isn't actually yours -- you can only listen *through* Spotify), the service essentially allows you to (very easily) create libraries of music.  While there are some glaring omissions (early Burzum, for e.g.), most DLA notable titles are present.  I was surprised by some of the things I was able to find -- Ripping Corpse, Rottrevore, Mythos, Hellwitch, Funebre, for examples.

I figured it might at least be worth mentioning -- as I remember someone here saying the original idea behind Audiofile was for those who wanted to sample works at radio quality or better to determine which deserved purchase/preservation in physical collection.  I suppose it doesn't hurt that the service is legitimate, and easier in many ways than finding/downloading/organizing from disparate sources.  And you can integrate your own .mp3 collections into its organizer.  Not the ultimate solution but something to be aware of, maybe.

January 23, 2012, 06:00:59 AM
This is all a circa y2k with Napster redux except internationalized.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

January 26, 2012, 07:58:38 PM
Looking to fix some uploads using multiupload this weekend. Which should go first?
I'd suggest starting with the ones you feel are most important, whatever they may be.  If you wish to be systematic about it, you can go in alphabetical order starting somewhere in the middle (Jim is starting from A and working his way up; he is currently on C).  I'm sporadically doing clean up (read: bitch work), starting from the furthest page back and working to the front.

January 26, 2012, 08:57:41 PM
I'm not sure how we are doing this anymore.  Do you want me to find links for the ones you are labeling dead, or do you think one should start somewhere else?

January 27, 2012, 10:15:26 PM
Looking to fix some uploads using multiupload this weekend. Which should go first?

I would politely suggest some Classical uploads.  And I think it only makes sense to start with the best of the best - Bach, Beethoven, Mozart.  Almost like you're uploading stuff for a novice/beginner - meat and potatoes, undisputed classics first.  Then from there I would say go with personal favorites or those that you think are the most important - Bruckner, Schumann, Paganini, etc.

This is basically what I'm doing with the metal.  I'm going through the DLA list alphabetically, but within that, I'm ignoring a few and going for the best of the best.  I think I've been around here long enough and I know what the "house picks" are.

So my advice to anybody and everybody is concentrate on these lists for the best of metal, Classical, and ambient.  We can fill in gaps later, work on the meat and potatoes.  

Sammael - if you want go in reverse alphabetical order of the Best Of page, that would be good.  Don't worry about us labeling anything dead.  If you click on a link and it's dead, then we need it.

January 28, 2012, 10:07:40 PM
Well anyway, I'm noticing some of the new links that we've added over the past week are already dead.  Soooo....I don't really know what that means, but I figure I should announce it.  It seems like these mediafire links we find are pretty much subject to die at any time.  My guess is that the more "out in the open" they are, the more likely they are to be taken down.  So I'm thinking that the more worthwhile links might be buried a little deeper on google, and mediafire is now too visible with megaupload gone.