Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Why is everyone excited about Averse Sefira?

Re: Why is everyone excited about Averse Serira?
December 19, 2012, 03:50:32 PM
Not even a combination of several different influences.  Just the same hypnotic style of Black Metal that's been around since Transylvanian Hungar.

You must've been referring to 'Tetragrammatical Astygmata'?
How in the WORLD is that similar to 'Transylvanian Hunger', let alone Darkthrone in general?  Because you heard some blast beats?

Naw, man.  What about the Immolation-structures, 15 riffs/song, tritones all over the place, relentless drumfills, etc?

December 20, 2012, 02:05:52 AM
Not even a combination of several different influences.  Just the same hypnotic style of Black Metal that's been around since Transylvanian Hungar.

You must've been referring to 'Tetragrammatical Astygmata'?
How in the WORLD is that similar to 'Transylvanian Hunger', let alone Darkthrone in general?  Because you heard some blast beats?

Naw, man.  What about the Immolation-structures, 15 riffs/song, tritones all over the place, relentless drumfills, etc?

Agreed.  Not even close.  They sound more like Voivod than Darkthrone.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

Re: Why is everyone excited about Averse Sefira?
December 20, 2012, 04:06:17 AM
I've always been meaning to give them a listen one of these days. Where is the best place to start?

December 20, 2012, 09:09:56 AM
I don't know the best place to start--I've only heard 'Tetragrammatical Astygmata' & their final, 'Advent Parallax'.  The latter has clear, Necromorbus production.  I've been contemplating it for a couple of years, it still reveals a ton of new shit, I can't quite understand it, but it seduces me nevertheless.

December 20, 2012, 07:18:57 PM
Battle's Clarion is a pretty good introduction. It's an album that is a bit simpler in approach than other releases. I also recommend Tetragrammatical Astygmata - it's very Voivod and prog influenced stuff, when you've got through the first rec.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

December 22, 2012, 04:10:33 AM
I've only heard the odd track here or there, but will be giving them my full attention this week. Needless to say Immolation, Voivod and (what is generally thought of as) black metal couldn't be anymore aesthetically incongruent.

December 22, 2012, 06:21:21 PM
I've only heard the odd track here or there, but will be giving them my full attention this week. Needless to say Immolation, Voivod and (what is generally thought of as) black metal couldn't be anymore aesthetically incongruent.

I don't get it either, but I did hear Voivod on Advent Parallax.  They're a challenging band!
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

January 15, 2013, 02:37:05 PM
Yes, somehow they manage to create a unique style of narrative Black Metal using the choppy techniques of Immolation and Voivod. Strangely enough. this makes some of the music sound all the more ancient, like a journey through a desert of old in search of Gods who can only be found through the internal acceptance of one's place in the universe.

"My Kingdom surrounds me
Yet is hidden from my sight"

'Nothing
Reflects somethingness
Through millennia
Of monolithic
Memory"

January 30, 2013, 12:08:26 AM

5. Tell me there's not romantic imagination in Blasphomet Sin Abset and I'll wonder what parts of Wordsworth, Donne and Beethoven you didn't get.

This

That demo transfixes me. Plus talking to Jeff about it during the Destroying Texas fest this past year was cool too

"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH