Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Returning to the wild

Returning to the wild
January 26, 2012, 05:49:54 AM
I came across this today and felt a swell of romance in my chest looking through the pictures.

http://beaverbrook.com/

This place makes living in a  large city seem gross and disgusting. Almost wholly unnatural.

I could see places like this be the future. Small communities of Europeans forming tribes and returning to more natural settings to enjoy each other and raise children outside of mass-living depression zones. Away from insane jobs that make us want to hang ourselves, liberalism, and decadence. A place where tradition, nature ritual and blood brotherhoods are taken seriously.

Perhaps I am day dreaming too much? Is this even possible to do in the future? Am I falling victim to Utopia-like thinking? Who knows. All I do know is that places like this and pictures like these make me want to truly pull up my life and move there with a close group of friends and start something great.

Re: Returning to the wild
January 26, 2012, 06:03:06 AM
So do it. It is eminently possible, although it will involve actually leaving the city and physically inhabiting a strange and unfamiliar place.
Finding that place can be an incredible challenge, all by itself.
I left England, at 18, and disappeared into the British Columbia forests. I was there for two years, living completely off the land.
It is not an easy or a comfortable existence (:> 
But it can be done.

I've single-handed a rotting plywood trimaran across the Pacific, for months on end.
Lived in deserts, and on sea-shores. Alone and as poor as any man in history. I'm still not dead.

Currently I own a small forest, and have a loving wife, where honesty and honour rule.
Don't ruin your life by trying to make something unworkable work.
Find something that does work.
This life you have, is the one that counts.
At least, while you're still able to live it!

January 26, 2012, 03:41:28 PM
It makes me think of when people take the moral high ground when talking about socialized medicine or welfare.  "Some people can't provide for themselves.  What are they going to do?"

What does a deer do?

January 26, 2012, 06:44:38 PM
Deer sometimes turn up dead. For no apparent reason. They lie down and never wake up again.
People have difficulty accepting this may happen to them, too.

January 27, 2012, 12:35:56 AM
People are afraid.

Life has become boring, for fear of death. People attempt to negate reality in broken cities. Instead of accepting life as a whole, they hide from it and fill it with empty and meaningless time-passers.

Fear leads to unhealthy and counter-productive actions.

January 27, 2012, 01:47:57 AM
Lafindumonde, you are absolutely correct. All my ambitions to ditch modern society are blocked by my fear of leaving my wife.

January 27, 2012, 02:02:13 AM
Lafindumonde, you are absolutely correct. All my ambitions to ditch modern society are blocked by my fear of leaving my wife.

Fidelity is not a trait of modern people.  : )

January 27, 2012, 02:10:05 AM
It's a trait of mine.
Then again, I am not particularly modern (:>

January 27, 2012, 03:19:37 AM
It's a trait of mine.
Then again, I am not particularly modern (:>

No it is not.

I don't know how such a lifestyle is conductive to raising children. Perhaps someone with a bit more experience will be able to enlighten me.

January 27, 2012, 03:45:53 AM
I don't know.  My mother stayed with my father for 25 years until he died and neither ever even appeared to have an interest in cheating, and I to this day have only been with the same woman for my entire adult life and have never in my life been with anyone else.  Maybe it's example, or maybe as in the other thread, it may be genetic.

January 27, 2012, 03:56:56 AM
Why would you have to leave your wife to leave modernity? Perhaps what you seek has been with you all along. Together you can build healthy habits.

January 27, 2012, 04:53:46 PM
Indeed, however if one lacks the funds to remove himself from the urban, or in my case the ultra-conjested semi-industrial suburb.

January 27, 2012, 06:24:59 PM
I might be missing something, but I thought congested suburbs/cities were more expensive than rural dwellings?

The commute $$ could be an issue though.

January 27, 2012, 07:17:50 PM
The commute $$ could be an issue though.

The commute SS?
Vot? Zo! You are thinking of no longer commuting?
Ve haff vays of making you commute!

January 27, 2012, 07:19:45 PM
Indeed, however if one lacks the funds to remove himself from the urban, or in my case the ultra-conjested semi-industrial suburb.

Survival isn't about having enough funds :)