Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Women in metal

Women in metal
January 27, 2012, 01:50:33 PM
so yesterday i ran across an interview http://canadaartsconnect.com/magazine/2012/01/girls-dont-like-metal-interviews-grim-kim-kelly/
which i was both bemused and irritated to read.

at once the article managed to both cry out for equality and shine a spotlight on women in metal which i find hypocritical.

regardless of the fact that women may be a minority in metal, or that their numbers are growing, blah blah --
don't you think that if they truly wanted equality, they would ask instead for gender to not be an issue?

the bottom line is the idea that women are in the metal scene is because they -like- the music. their gender shouldn't be an issue. [in a perfect world, of course.]

thoughts? i sometimes naively wonder why this is still an issue.

Re: women in metal.
January 27, 2012, 04:37:36 PM
Women's role is not that of the fighter but the nurturer. It makes little sense that they would seek out a music which embodies the qualities of a warrior.

January 27, 2012, 07:19:46 PM
My opinion is that if women want to be taken seriously in metal, they need to start making better metal.  I understand that women in metal are pounced on by labels to be pushed as a freak show, but seriously, the female metal bands that exist today are terrible.  I judge them the same way I judge poor metal by men.  Is that enough equality for you?

January 27, 2012, 07:35:02 PM
well. i'm not talking specifically about women in bands. but generally they do make crap metal. maybe with the exclusion of jo bench.

but in regards to women being 'nurturers' .....
then how do you explain the fact that women like metal at all?
and to that extent why don't all men like metal?

January 27, 2012, 07:39:37 PM
Women like metal because gender roles are all messed up in modern society.  Men like metal because ALL roles are messed up in society.

January 27, 2012, 09:04:25 PM
The only metal my woman makes is when she's crashing about in the kitchen, banging pots and pans, and dropping things, while I'm trying to relax.
And yes, it's terrible!

January 28, 2012, 02:39:59 AM
They like metal because they play a receptive role to masculinity even psychologically. They love that shit. Men like it because they're men, women like it because they like men.

I no longer think it's possible to have a good female metal band or act; this is due to reasons which are sheer biological determinism.

January 28, 2012, 05:16:34 AM
i like manly things because i'm a mannnnnn

stop whining and start making good metal

January 28, 2012, 03:53:51 PM
i like manly things because i'm a mannnnnn

Some things are so manly they can only be shared... between consenting adult men.

Like Turkish oil wrestling.

January 28, 2012, 05:13:19 PM
well. i'm not talking specifically about women in bands. but generally they do make crap metal. maybe with the exclusion of jo bench.

but in regards to women being 'nurturers' .....
then how do you explain the fact that women like metal at all?
and to that extent why don't all men like metal?

It's already been explained by others, but I will add this little bitty: Women are social creatures. Observe them if you ever attend another metal concert.

This is all generally speaking, outliers happen but exceptions don't make the rule and all that fun crap you learned in college.

Re: Women in metal
January 28, 2012, 07:35:49 PM
That article is so great, it inspired some junior Tao + MRA shit out of me. Here goes:

All Male pursuits are Some Serious Shit.
All worthwhile pursuits are Some Serious Shit.
All worthwhile pursuits are Male.
All pursuits are Male.
Pursuit is Male is All.
All.
One.

All Feminine pursuits are Care.
Care is Preservation.
Preservation in perfection is Stagnation.
Action is Every Thing.
Stagnation is No Thing.

We're all human beings, we have similarly adapted modular brains and the interaction between those modules creates. What does it create? The interaction. A new thing. Layers and layers of that, the whole, becomes the "self". The essential nature of the feminine self is complementary as that is its evolved biological role. It can therefore only complement, only find purpose in complementing, only find satisfaction and existence in that one thing. Sometimes I'm glad feminists write so damn much about every "male" pursuit, the more bullshit they put out the more people find it doesn't resonate with them at all. Empty.