Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Global warming

Global warming
January 28, 2012, 02:11:11 PM
Alarmism over climate is of great benefit to many, providing government funding for academic research and a reason for government bureaucracies to grow. Alarmism also offers an excuse for governments to raise taxes, taxpayer-funded subsidies for businesses that understand how to work the political system, and a lure for big donations to charitable foundations promising to save the planet. Lysenko and his team lived very well, and they fiercely defended their dogma and the privileges it brought them.

Speaking for many scientists and engineers who have looked carefully and independently at the science of climate, we have a message to any candidate for public office: There is no compelling scientific argument for drastic action to "decarbonize" the world's economy. Even if one accepts the inflated climate forecasts of the IPCC, aggressive greenhouse-gas control policies are not justified economically.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204301404577171531838421366.html?KEYWORDS=global+warming

Many others agree.

It's like being a racist, however, to say you're against global warming.

Re: Global warming
January 28, 2012, 07:48:19 PM
I also dislike most people who oppose Global Warming. The herds think "No Global Warming" == "No Human Impact" and so use it as an excuse to be pigs.

Is this just a problem with almost anything in Modern Society? Both "options" are fucked?

Global Warming
Abortion
Gay Marriage

All of these major mainstream issues, both of the sides are broken and wrong options.
I don't know about you guys, but I love my under-120s. They're so cute and funny. Just yesterday one stole my GPS unit and another one took a dump in my yard. Ha ha, they're such cards.

January 28, 2012, 07:54:31 PM
Is this just a problem with almost anything in Modern Society? Both "options" are fucked?

Yes, because both are infested with the same thing.

For example:

Left: individual equality + welfare
Right: individual equality + military

That is an oversimplification and not to be taken to the bank, but you can see how the infestation is held in common.

That being said, joining either side and forcing it along toward a higher level of consciousness/awareness/realism would help.

For example:

Left: individual equality -> strong meritocracy (essentially, the Ron Paul method)
Right: military -> remove restrictions on meritocracy

Or even:

Global warming: the real problem is a lack of trees to absorb carbon, so depopulate/anti-growth
Anti-global warming: we need to create a competing environmental program, like anti-growth/depopulation

January 28, 2012, 07:56:25 PM
Interesting concept, that any boundary (belief system) can be remade as a path towards truth.
I don't know about you guys, but I love my under-120s. They're so cute and funny. Just yesterday one stole my GPS unit and another one took a dump in my yard. Ha ha, they're such cards.

January 29, 2012, 12:10:14 AM
Really politics could kill us eventually.  Now both sides of global warming are politically tied to a party to the point where even the scientists bend the truth to push an agenda.  Truth is thus lost eternally. 

I think the old reason to preserve the environment were good enough without global warming.  People just need to have guns to their heads before they do anything right, so if global warming was made up, I can understand why.

January 29, 2012, 12:26:14 AM
The real answer is "less people" but that doesn't seem to fly as a political speech in a liberal Democracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

December 10, 2013, 02:32:57 AM
Second early ice storm sweeps the entire continent. Global warming is just a euphemism for smashing capitalism. Climate scientist consensus fits in here somehow.

December 10, 2013, 05:40:46 PM
How is an early ice storm incompatible with global warming?
Liberalism is moral syphilis.

- Jonathan Bowden

December 10, 2013, 09:34:14 PM
If you forget all the brain-machinations and see only what you are looking at, without inferring anything from what you see, then an early cold snap is an early cold snap. An early cold snap in no way resembles global warming, whatever global warming is.
You are unable to see global warming, since your eyes are not able to see anything global.
A bit like a belief in God, eh? Can't see that either.
Which does not mean it doesn't (or does) exist.

When I look outside into my garden, I see what is there. It changes, day to day. I can not reasonably infer anything about global conditions from what I see. Neither can my rabbit.
Squawk!

December 10, 2013, 09:49:33 PM
They dropped "global warming" for "climate change."

December 10, 2013, 09:55:59 PM
That's a more realistic term. Yesterday it was snowing. Today it is raining. That's Climate Change.
Squawk!

December 10, 2013, 10:09:46 PM
I agree. Winter came obscenely late this year. However, it is much colder than preceding years. Development continues and I expect the climate should follow suite.

December 10, 2013, 11:06:55 PM
When scientists the world over can report their observations to each other, aided by technological investigations of what is happening in reality, that gives a basis for a global conception of weather trajectory. It is different from a belief in "God". I have no knowledge of "God" and what "God" is up to; therefore I can't say, "God didn't make it snow today because of X"; whereas a scientific explanation can say "It did not snow today because of X leading to Y, which we can prove by showing data collected in the area over a certain # of years."

Alternatively, you can't see radiation either but you wouldn't want to stick your testicles in the microwave.

Whether scientists have accurately done their research for global warming is a separate discussion. I have no idea whether the earth is warming, but it's apparent to me that humans are in the process of inducing ecocide and any limitation on the modern technological state from the global warming hysterics crowd is probably a good thing.

- Jonathan Bowden

December 10, 2013, 11:12:40 PM
So you believe what you want to believe, especially if you think it is a good thing.
You prefer to trust unknown hordes of people, via mass-media representation, over your own senses and powers of observation.
That's pretty normal.
Squawk!

December 10, 2013, 11:27:00 PM
Really?

Quote from: you
So you believe what you want to believe, especially if you think it is a good thing.

Quote from: me
Whether scientists have accurately done their research for global warming is a separate discussion. I have no idea whether the earth is warming,

In what way does this affirm a belief in global warming?

Also, "So you believe what you want to believe, especially if you think it is a good thing." has been used around here before as a legitimate defense for believing in God. How is it acceptable then, but not when I'm (accused) of doing it?

You prefer to trust unknown hordes of people, via mass-media representation, over your own senses and powers of observation.

I am willing to consider scientists' observations as a supplement to my own.

- Jonathan Bowden