Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Hypersensitivity/Asperger's/INTJism

Hypersensitivity/Asperger's/INTJism
January 28, 2012, 04:00:51 PM
The attitudes on this forum suggest a certain personality trait that is prized around here, but I don't think it's as simple as calling it autistic. The INTJ diagnosis is closer to the mark, or the medically-hypersensitive view:

Being hypersensitive could be described as being allergic to life. For the highly sensitive person (HSP) a seemingly ordinary day can be overwhelming. Even the most subtle of stimulants a person encounters on a daily basis can be over-stimulating. Energies associated with touch, noise, scent, light, etc. are often too quickly or deeply absorbed by the HSP. As a result, the HSP may become mentally confused, emotionally upset, and/or physically uncomfortable. Hypersensitivity is also associated with a heightened sense of awareness and intuition. This makes being a HSP or empath a two-way street.

http://healing.about.com/od/empathic/a/hsp.htm

In contrast to the INTJ persona:

Since numerous detailed INTJ type descriptions are already available on the web, we’ll just hit the high points here:

We’re smart.
We are visionaries, strategic (and compulsive) planners, big-picture thinkers, complex problem solvers, adept decision makers, conceptualists, theorists, and pattern recognizers – in short, we are “masterminds” [insert evil mastermind laugh here].

We don’t do feelings.
We use critical thinking, reason, and logic. We have a tough time with people who make decisions based on emotions, and we can often come across as blunt and cold because we ignore the feelings of others. But on the plus side, we take criticism well since we have no feelings to hurt.

We live inside our heads.
We frequently zone out. We get lost in thought and spend much of our time inside our heads. If our immediate reality becomes boring, we will retreat into our minds, and you might have to shout our names repeatedly to get our attention so we will come out again. And no, sorry, but you can’t come into our heads with us. You wouldn’t last five minutes there. You’d be driven insane by the nonstop cacophony of overlapping voices madly free-associating from one idea to the next.

We are self-confident.
No type is more self-confident than the INTJ. We have a very keen awareness of our own knowledge and abilities, and – more importantly – of the limits of our knowledge and abilities. Consequently we can come across as arrogant sometimes. This is your problem to deal with, not ours, since it is a problem of erroneous perception (yours).

We are aloof.
Because we are somewhat detached from reality, because we are introverted (we find interacting with people to be tiring and tiresome), because we are very private, and because we are impassive, we tend to come across as rather reserved and aloof. Okay, we actually are reserved and aloof.

http://intjcentral.com/the-compleat-idiots-guide-to-the-intj/2/

(which could be subtitled "Pit me a grape, boy")

Keep in mind to be wary of psychology, as like all things, it is done by individuals who succumb to mass hysteria/crazes/trends:

In recent years the pace has picked up and false "epidemics" have come in bunches involving an ever increasing proportion of the population. We are now in the midst of at least three such epidemics- of autism, attention deficit, and childhood bipolar disorder.

The "epidemics" in psychiatry are caused by changing diagnostic fashions - the  people don't change, the labels do. There are no objective tests in psychiatry-no X-ray, laboratory, or exam finding that says definitively that someone does or does not have a mental disorder.

The pharmaceutical industry has proven to be fairly unsuccessful in developing new and improved medications. But it is  wonderfully effective at marketing  existing wares and is an important engine in overdiagnosis and the spread of psychiatric epidemics. The drug companies are skilled at mounting a full court press that includes "educating" doctors, "supporting" advocacy groups and professional associations,  controlling research, and  direct to the consumer advertising.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dsm5-in-distress/201006/psychiatric-fads-and-overdiagnosis

also

Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) come with several neurodevelopmental signs and symptoms which overlap other conditions - it is possible that some early ASD diagnoses are wrong, especially among children who no longer meet the criteria for ASD as they get older, researchers from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health wrote in the journal Pediatrics. The authors add that it is not easy for doctors to diagnose between several possibilities early in life.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/240649.php

So before you write yourselves off as aspies, consider this... I'm still going to refer to you as "aspies" and "my fellow aspies" however...

Re: Hypersensitivity/Asperger's/INTJism
January 28, 2012, 04:31:12 PM
I vividly remember a very long thread in which we all talked about how we were INTJ/INTP, with a couple of ENTJs thrown in there for good measure.  I'd say that this personality type, coupled with an interest in Metal, is one of the driving factors behind many of our presences here.  In a world full of inanity and uselessness, the (overly) active mind seeks a haven of sensibility.  Also, as far as human relationships go, opposites repel (and the inverse).

Also, ENTJ here.  Suck it, negroes.

January 28, 2012, 07:06:01 PM
INTJ is pretty much just us INTPs minus some good sense, a bit more pride, a tiny bit less empathy. Introverted people would have an (thinking) advantage when things go to shit, but as outward society gets better I think there would be some convergence in interests between E and I.

January 28, 2012, 07:20:04 PM
I spent considerable energy investigating personality types, only to conclude I really didn't have one.
After a dozen, or so tests, I default to INFJ, or INTJ, but can come up with almost any other one, too.
What is personality, after all, but bias?
Bias is useful when it's useful.
And useless, when it's not.

January 29, 2012, 03:26:22 AM
HSP is apparently due to a strength in conscious Ni/weakness in conscious Se, so INXJs, and maybe some ENXJs, should fit the diagnosis.

I spent considerable energy investigating personality types, only to conclude I really didn't have one.

Not likely. There's a lot of misinformation out there though, so it can be hard to make a judgement.

January 29, 2012, 08:46:23 AM
I am curious if there has been any sort of research on successful world leaders or CEOs that happen to be INTJs.

Pretty sure when I took my Myers-Briggs Test (I was either INTP or INTJ...I think I can hit both answering honestly depending on my current mood), it cited Steven Hawking as an INTJ.

January 30, 2012, 10:31:33 AM
I often pretend to be ESFP to lure E/ISFP rape targets.

Prey on the weak.

January 30, 2012, 08:29:46 PM
After a dozen, or so tests, I default to INFJ, or INTJ, but can come up with almost any other one, too.
What is personality, after all, but bias?
Bias is useful when it's useful.
And useless, when it's not.

Instead of thinking about personality as written in stone, instead consider what features of self you would rely on in an intense situation and compare it to how you would spend your time if free of pressing matters. Any correlation indicates a core mechanism, which may or may not be a drawback.

January 30, 2012, 11:16:21 PM
Social introversion is an annoying and unhelpful trait, I don't know why some people glorify here. Connecting emotionally to other people is an important part of most worthwhile activities.

If you're curious, I always get INTJ or INTP on most tests I've taken. I think the brigg-myers personlity system or whatever its called is basically bullshit though, and even if it wasn't tests are a shitty way to determine someones personality. The only way you can determine that is through their life history and intimate conversation.

February 01, 2012, 12:25:58 AM
Social introversion is an annoying and unhelpful trait, I don't know why some people glorify here. Connecting emotionally to other people is an important part of most worthwhile activities.

If you're curious, I always get INTJ or INTP on most tests I've taken. I think the brigg-myers personlity system or whatever its called is basically bullshit though, and even if it wasn't tests are a shitty way to determine someones personality. The only way you can determine that is through their life history and intimate conversation.

The existence of Jungian type seems quite certain to me. It's achieving a neuroscientific basis now I believe (showing differing patterns of brain activity while performing certain task depending on the nature of your perception, cognitive responses to different kinds of social information depending on the nature of F etc), and should soon achieve a more rigorous basis.

The tests suck, yeah, and so do most writers on the subject. One's type can be determined quite simply though in most cases, and says a fair bit about someone. A survey of the personality types of prominent metal musicians would be interesting.