Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Bolt Thrower - Epic Death Metal

Bolt Thrower - Epic Death Metal
October 31, 2006, 02:47:09 PM
Downloading For Victory, any other recommendations?

Briefly:
"In Battle..." and "Realm of Chaos" are by far the most grind and punk influenced of the lot.  The melody stays brief and the songs explosive.

"Warmaster" is a bit transitional; clearly more death metal influenced, the speed and atonal punkish bursts give way to more developed melody and subtlety in riff construction.  Surprisingly melodic.

"IVth Crusade" is probably the most archetypal thing they've done.  The rhythms are almost martial in their constant, rumbling meter, and they've begun to explore the use of harmony in more epic contexts.

"...For Victory" takes all the developments of the "IVth Crusade" and expounds upon them to near perfection.  In my opinion, their modern classic.  Explosive and flowing simultaneously, with fantastic character and perfect riff control.

Everything that follows is consistent, but moulded to their archetype so rigidly as to be almost parody.  There are even instances where lyrical lines are repeated, probably inadvertently, from earlier albums.

Bolt Thrower - Audiofile mp3s

Annihilaytorr

Re: Bolt Thrower - Epic Death Metal
October 31, 2006, 04:54:10 PM
Bolt Thrower have remained a reasonably consistant band through out their evolution. This and the female bass player make them a novelty. The only problem one might have with them is they tend to lack some of the explosive punch their peers have, and for this reason can revert to backround music.

While the Grindcore influence is clear in the first couple especially, I think it is a mistake to label them as Grindcore.

Has anyone heard the supposed crust demos they have?

November 01, 2006, 06:20:32 PM
The only problem one might have with them is they tend to lack some of the explosive punch their peers have, and for this reason can revert to backround music.

In their subtlety they communicate so much more than overt attempts at dynamism ever could; they are probably a death metal band best understood in a frame of mind usually reserved for black metal listening. If examined from an esoteric perspective, the lyricism of their earlier material more than hints at Traditionalist cosmology, though this in all likelihood was not done intentionally by the band, but emerged by means of Spirit.

Annihilaytorr

November 02, 2006, 03:42:35 PM

In their subtlety they communicate so much more than overt attempts at dynamism ever could; they are probably a death metal band best understood in a frame of mind usually reserved for black metal listening.

While I am not sure I can sign onto the idea they communicate more via their style than a more forceful band can, I certainly agree that they, like Scandinavian Death Metal, and Incantation, are better appreciated from a view more similar to Norse BM.