Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Why did punk die?

Why did punk die?
October 31, 2006, 05:17:39 PM
When it came about, it was the most vital genre. Rock had turned into disco and flogging prog like later Yes, which was just terrible. Punk was a breath of fresh air. Five years later, it all sounded alike and people stopped caring at all. It's like a cycle that repeats through history... an idea occurs, then people imitate, then it loses value and all the fans run on to something else.

ICONOCLAST_IS_GOD

Re: Why did punk die?
October 31, 2006, 05:31:45 PM
Which is a good reason to keep the succesor to metal esoteric.  The proles can't be enlightened, give them their rock and we can have our good music.

I think whatever comes next has to utterly confuse the masses and have no image (like black metal did).  This way the masses will have no desire to "be hip."

October 31, 2006, 06:29:20 PM
What happened to it?  The same thing that happened to every good genre.  Labels signed every copy cat punk band they could to make as much money of the craze as they could.  Then an easier to listen to version of punk came out (New Wave) and all the big stars followed suit and thought that they had to make a New Wave album or fall behind.  By the end of the 80s, nobody liked Punk anymore because they were sick of it.  

Then Green Day came and now people think that's what punk is, so there will be no more good punk except by fans of the original punk rockers, who are just trying to keep the flame lite.

November 01, 2006, 03:52:04 PM
It must have lost its luster during the mid-80s during the time hardcore became popular and around about the same time speed metal was being replaced by grindcore, death metal and black metal

November 01, 2006, 06:02:32 PM
When it came about, it was the most vital genre. Rock had turned into disco and flogging prog like later Yes, which was just terrible. Punk was a breath of fresh air. Five years later, it all sounded alike and people stopped caring at all. It's like a cycle that repeats through history... an idea occurs, then people imitate, then it loses value and all the fans run on to something else.

There's an interesting comparison and contrast with metal to be seen here.  Punk went through four major iterations in 13 years (punk, hardcore, crust/thrash, grindcore) and was completely spent by 1989.  Metal managed to reinvent itself and remain vital for approximately twice that long, which is interesting, because punk and metal both emerged from a similar cultural milieu and initially expressed roughly similar ideas.

The difference, I think, is that among the punks, anger consumed any larger sense of ideal and became, in the end, despair.  So while both punk and metal saw that this society was failing, the Hessians sought instinctively after some sort of solution, while the punks yielded to impotent rage.  In this, I think metal benefited from its emergence from the counterculture, with a connection to the Romantic past - punk emerged from what was in essence the culture of street gangs, and unfortunately embraced the sort of blighted thinking of its thuggish origins.

Punk was ultimately undermined by its own planned obsolesence.  The genre's stripped down anti-aesthetic left little room for development, it's message of fatalism ("No future for you!") meant that it's attraction was largely for dead enders and do nothings, and the insane DIY ethos ultimately encouraged every idiot with a guitar and a bad haircut to participate, innundating the scene with sub-mediocrity.

In other words, punk was exactly like the present day black metal scene.

Annihilaytorr

November 02, 2006, 07:16:53 AM
The obsession with occultism and neo-classical aesthetic & theme is the primary reason metal survived past punk. Not only did the spirit of metal tap into ancient and meaningful cultural art forms, it also left the musicians with simply more ideas to work with. Metal had more to say with a better language.

November 02, 2006, 07:26:29 AM
As far as I'm concerned punk started with Iggy Pop and died with the Sex Pistols, who were a commercial creation by Malcom McLaren. After the Sex Pistols the british punk explosion occured which sprung forth many bands that are now commonly mistaken to be founders of the genre.

The word "punk" first made an appearance in music journalism in a 1970 essay, "The Punk Muse: The True Story of Protopathic Spiff Including the Lowdown on the Trouble-Making Five-Percent of America's Youth" by Nick Tosches in Fusion. He described a music that was a "visionary expiation, a cry into the abyss of one's own mordant bullshit," its "poetry is puked, not plotted." That same year, Lester Bangs wrote a novella titled Drug Punk, influenced by William Burroughs' book, Junky, in which there is a line, "Fucking punks think it's a joke. They won't think it's so funny when they're doing five twenty-nine on the island." Dave Marsh used the phrase "punk rock" in his Looney Tunes column in the May 1971 issue of Creem, the same issue that introduced the term "heavy metal" as a genre name. Marsh wrote, "Culturally perverse from birth, I decided that this insult would be better construted as a compliment, especially given the alternative to such punkist behavior, which I figured was acting like a dignified asshole." Tosches, Bangs, Marsh, Richard Meltzer, Greg Shaw and Lenny Kaye used the term to define a canon of proto-punk bands, including the Velvets, Stooges, MC5, the Modern Lovers and the New York Dolls (DeRogatis, Let It Blurt, 118-119).

taken from here

Read more and you'll find the Sex Pistols are the Cradle of Filth of punk. Why did punk die? Because many people didn't know the origins and lost focus on what it was really about. People who think punk sold out with Green Day are wrong. Why do you think the Pistols jumped on the bandwagon in that period and did a reunion? They were commercial from the start and were just fooling everyone with their "anarchist" slogans. The whole british punk-era that would define punk for eternity was based on a commercial joke. A few years afterwards most bands realized that and punk was officially declared dead. Everything that followed was an attempt at "revitalizing the corpse"

November 02, 2006, 08:27:38 AM
Go listen to PiL and you will know where did punk
die...

RIP ?

November 02, 2006, 03:01:26 PM
As far as I'm concerned punk started with Iggy Pop and died with the Sex Pistols, who were a commercial creation by Malcom McLaren. After the Sex Pistols the british punk explosion occured which sprung forth many bands that are now commonly mistaken to be founders of the genre.

taken from here

Read more and you'll find the Sex Pistols are the Cradle of Filth of punk. Why did punk die? Because many people didn't know the origins and lost focus on what it was really about. People who think punk sold out with Green Day are wrong. Why do you think the Pistols jumped on the bandwagon in that period and did a reunion? They were commercial from the start and were just fooling everyone with their "anarchist" slogans. The whole british punk-era that would define punk for eternity was based on a commercial joke. A few years afterwards most bands realized that and punk was officially declared dead. Everything that followed was an attempt at "revitalizing the corpse"

I always thought the early Who and Kinks were more of the begining of punk and even the rock of the 50s is very much a reflection of what Punk was trying to return to.

Sofiana: I think PIL's first 3 albums are better than any punk album.

November 03, 2006, 02:58:09 AM
I always thought the early Who and Kinks were more of the begining of punk and even the rock of the 50s is very much a reflection of what Punk was trying to return to.

I've never listened much to the Who or the Kinks, but as far as I've read they popularized the power-chord, which would give them some credit for being forerunners of a number of genre's. I personally hate the Who though so I don't think I'll ever get into their works. (I generally dislike punk too for that matter)

As far as rock in the 50's there were different styles back then aswell, most of which I am unfamiliar with. But I think if you'd go look for music in that period that matches punk you'd only find it in the shape of a song, not a whole album.

November 03, 2006, 05:18:39 AM

I've never listened much to the Who or the Kinks, but as far as I've read they popularized the power-chord, which would give them some credit for being forerunners of a number of genre's. I personally hate the Who though so I don't think I'll ever get into their works. (I generally dislike punk too for that matter)

As far as rock in the 50's there were different styles back then aswell, most of which I am unfamiliar with. But I think if you'd go look for music in that period that matches punk you'd only find it in the shape of a song, not a whole album.

Well since 50s rock songs are usually identical on every album, finding punk in one song means finding it on the entire album.  It's more about the beat and the attitude.

I would understand why you wouldn't like the Who.  They became very progressive in the 70s, but in the 60s it was very basic and definitely everything that punk was in the late 70s, and even heavier considering that the music they were making was still completely new and dirgier than the other rock music at the time.  When the Kinks released their first single, the record company was afraid because they thought the new guitar distortion sounded like a barking dog.  That ended up being what they were going for.

November 03, 2006, 03:13:42 PM
Read more and you'll find the Sex Pistols are the Cradle of Filth of punk. Why did punk die? Because many people didn't know the origins and lost focus on what it was really about.

This is the attitude I've heard from the old punks I know. I think however that the Dead Kennedys were the Cradle of Filth of punk hardcore...

November 03, 2006, 05:16:23 PM

This is the attitude I've heard from the old punks I know. I think however that the Dead Kennedys were the Cradle of Filth of punk hardcore...

Yeah you could draw some pretty big comparrisons.  Especially if you look at the begining and ends of both artisits careers.  The Dead Kennedys had some REAL promise starting out.  At the end they were like a shell of a good idea turned in the wrong direction.

November 03, 2006, 11:42:50 PM
Hold on fools....

It was the moronic aspects of metal that killed Crass influenced Anarcho punk.

What began in the late 70's as a response to the rise of the right in the early 70's led to a very active left wing punk movement. Marches such as 'stop the city', squatting and political discussion were prevalent leading to a strong counterculture.

BY the mid to late late eighties, the rise of bands like Metallica and Slayer suddenly made everyone in the punk scene start to forget about 'message rather than music ' and everyone began to bring in more aspects of guitar wizardry and metal. This led to the term Crossover.

That was the death of punk as an abstract vehicle for ideas, and soon all the Anarchist bands were playing metal, listening to bands like Carcass, Boltthrower etc.....great!

You speak about metal on this board as though it has a real strand of rebellion running through it. Don't make me laugh.

Metal as a rule has never been about real ideas or activism. The Norwegian second wave was the closest thing to activism metal has ever seen. Metal is safe. Metal is non threatening. Metal is rock n roll for beer swilling bike riding proles who worship and idolise the 'guitar heroes' or 'drumming heroes'.

Sure it brings about some great achievements in music. BUt let's not kid ourselves that metal has some 'deeper intelligent strand' running through it.

This board still stands alone as an intelligent and thought provoking metal based forum.....but check the internet....they are very few and far between.

November 04, 2006, 06:32:44 AM
It was the moronic aspects of metal that killed Crass influenced Anarcho punk.

No, it was their own political-correctness that killed these bands. Just look at what a lot of these people are doing now, the Ex is a fine example of punk having lost it's original focus IMHO.

What began in the late 70's as a response to the rise of the right in the early 70's led to a very active left wing punk movement. Marches such as 'stop the city', squatting and political discussion were prevalent leading to a strong counterculture.

Wrong, the first punk had no clear message except that of "I'm bored and wanna rebel" When punk became about serious (left-wing) politics it simply adopted the same values as the peace-movement, which had also inspired the hippies. You're mistaken if you want to suggest that punk was the first politically active sub-culture.

BY the mid to late late eighties, the rise of bands like Metallica and Slayer suddenly made everyone in the punk scene start to forget about 'message rather than music ' and everyone began to bring in more aspects of guitar wizardry and metal. This led to the term Crossover.

That was the death of punk as an abstract vehicle for ideas, and soon all the Anarchist bands were playing metal, listening to bands like Carcass, Boltthrower etc.....great!

So you mean to tell me that all the anarchist bands were united and serving the same cause? Wrong again, lot's of them hated each other and had different ideas about what anarchy was supposed to be about (Exploited and Crass and Dead Kennedies all hated each other for instance)

I'm not sure if Slayer and Metallica stole any fans from the punk-crowd, were you in those days? Then you should probably know that metalheads and hardcore kids didn't go to each other's shows because they'd get beaten up. It was bands like Venom and Motorhead that united metalheads and punks, not Slayer as far as I know. Watch what James Hetfield has to say in this about those days. In same the documentary you'll see Anthrax saying that they were the first east-coast band that had a strong group of hardcore kids in their crowd. And I think crossover was a term invented for the bands that followed the traces of DRI, and for what DRI was doing later. And as far as Carcass and Bolt Thrower, those bands emerged at the end of the eighties so I really don't see your point there. You seem to have the whole eighties mixed up.

BUt let's not kid ourselves that metal has some 'deeper intelligent strand' running through it.

But let's not kid ourselves that your post has some 'deeper intelligent strand' running through it. Next time you start a post with "hold on fools" I might just ignore it, for that first line already suggest one would be a fool to pay attention to what you have to say.