Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

What free filehost should we use?

What free filehost should we use?
February 01, 2012, 04:29:30 AM
I've been sticking to Mediafire and Depositfiles.

Some people like Dropbox, but it has some retarded proprietary software interface.. no thanks!

Any others?

Re: What free filehost should we use?
February 01, 2012, 11:35:22 PM
I signed up on Mediafire and it's really easy, so I'm going with that.  As a dowloader I preferred Mediafire because there weren't 5 different buttons that said Download.  Let's go with mediafire.

February 03, 2012, 01:11:54 AM
Mediafire is the best...for now.

I have a feeling it will be the next big target for the FBI.

February 03, 2012, 01:47:46 AM
I would be up for some sort of "master torrent" to distribute the bulk of the DLA's A-List albums and classical material.  With a few seeders, we could have a decentralized way to store and download all of the essential content that used to be hosted on sites like megaupload that would be resilient to any further take downs.  Newer material and lesser material could be hosted on mediafire like is already happening now.  It seems to make more sense to have a way to prevent this happening again instead of having to upload all of the material every time something like this happens.  Furthermore, if we used a magnet link, we wouldn't even have to have a tracker to maintain the torrent; it would stay up as long as the community supported it.

February 03, 2012, 02:40:52 AM
I would be up for some sort of "master torrent" to distribute the bulk of the DLA's A-List albums and classical material. 

How about a few of them:

1. Black metal, best of
2. Black metal, top tier
3. Death metal, best of
4. Death metal, top tier
5. Introduction to classical
6. Introduction to hardcore
7. Introduction to ambient
8. Music to rape the retarded by

February 03, 2012, 04:46:08 AM
I would be up for some sort of "master torrent" to distribute the bulk of the DLA's A-List albums and classical material. 

How about a few of them:

1. Black metal, best of
2. Black metal, top tier
3. Death metal, best of
4. Death metal, top tier
5. Introduction to classical
6. Introduction to hardcore
7. Introduction to ambient
8. Music to rape the retarded by

Well, the nice thing about torrents is you can download as much of it or as little of it as you would like and you can separate files into folders.  However, it does makes sense to have some separation, given the sharp distinctions of some of the material.  I'd suggest starting with Black Metal, Death Metal, and classical then maybe branch out into separate torrents for Speed/Thrash/Grindcore/Hardcore and Neoclassical/Ambient. You could then have whatever divisions inside those torrents you want.

This would probably be a good place to start.

February 04, 2012, 09:05:46 PM
Some people like Dropbox, but it has some retarded proprietary software interface.. no thanks!

What's your qualm with Dropbox? It's been quite useful to me for the past 3 or so years.

Let's try to spread links out between different filehosts, in case something like the Megaupload shutdown happens again (so we won't have to go through all of the redundant re-organizing).

February 04, 2012, 10:26:44 PM
Let's try to spread links out between different filehosts, in case something like the Megaupload shutdown happens again (so we won't have to go through all of the redundant re-organizing).

I like the way you're thinking.  That's a good idea.

In any event, the ultimate idea here is we need to create an ANUS "time capsule" that is impervious to shutdowns or what-have-you.  The time capsule would include the best of metal, classical and ambient with an emphasis on metal.  That's how I would imagine it.

NHA

February 09, 2012, 10:56:50 PM
Why not just upload to youtube with the song/album titles ciphered to hide from copyright bots?

If each frame of the video is just black i doubt the size changes much when compressed.

February 09, 2012, 11:43:37 PM
honestly, I think filehosting is ultimately a dead end, as these services are far too easy a target and will either all vanish or continue doing what we've seen in recent weeks: deleting files with even the slightest suspicion of being copyrighted material.

a private torrent site is the way to go

NHA

February 10, 2012, 12:52:39 AM
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/mp3/

is that dc++ hub still actually alive? its been maybe 8-10 years i think since i've used it haha.

February 10, 2012, 02:24:40 AM
I would be up for some sort of "master torrent" to distribute the bulk of the DLA's A-List albums and classical material.  With a few seeders, we could have a decentralized way to store and download all of the essential content that used to be hosted on sites like megaupload that would be resilient to any further take downs.  Newer material and lesser material could be hosted on mediafire like is already happening now.  It seems to make more sense to have a way to prevent this happening again instead of having to upload all of the material every time something like this happens.  Furthermore, if we used a magnet link, we wouldn't even have to have a tracker to maintain the torrent; it would stay up as long as the community supported it.
honestly, I think filehosting is ultimately a dead end, as these services are far too easy a target and will either all vanish or continue doing what we've seen in recent weeks: deleting files with even the slightest suspicion of being copyrighted material.

a private torrent site is the way to go

This would essentially serve as a "time capsule," correct?  It sounds like a good idea, but someone is going to need to get the ball rolling.  Magnet links and seeders sound Greek to me.  So someone is going to need to dumb it down or give me something to look at so I can help.  Just PM me.  I have time and I have plenty of CDs to rip.  PM me, get me up to speed or get an infrastructure in place.  Would downloading DC++ be a necessary way to start?

February 10, 2012, 03:37:55 AM
The point is that a lot of people use torrents now, so they'd be able to throw our link onto the pile and a few days later have a complete metal collection.

As long as we rip 'em in 128k... makes sense to me...

I prefer the casual use of megaupload because there's no entrance requirement. Click link, click download, derp away for 11.2 minutes and suddenly there's an album.

February 10, 2012, 04:39:41 AM
This would essentially serve as a "time capsule," correct?  It sounds like a good idea, but someone is going to need to get the ball rolling.  Magnet links and seeders sound Greek to me.  So someone is going to need to dumb it down or give me something to look at so I can help.  Just PM me.  I have time and I have plenty of CDs to rip.  PM me, get me up to speed or get an infrastructure in place.  Would downloading DC++ be a necessary way to start?

I know nothing of how to actually set up a torrent tracker, though the key is that it has to be private if it's to have any chance of surviving and protecting the identities of the people using it.  My experience with private torrent sites, especially the larger ones, is that the trackers facilitating the torrent "connections" are seldom ever located in the United States, and since torrents work by sharing files residing on the computers of users rather than in some central location, it doesn't require the operators to house large amounts of equipment. 

Have a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_tracker