Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Exotic Black Metal - BM gone too far?

Exotic Black Metal - BM gone too far?
November 04, 2006, 12:01:28 AM
In an attempt to discover if there are any interesting black metal bands outside the usual circles one can find the black metal phenomenon has spread out to some of the most un-norwegian places. I had a look through the metal-arkikes and picked these bands, I didn't post them here to promote them but to start a discussion on how you look at these interpretations of black metal. For instance: do you think it's cool that these bands have emerged or do you think it's symbolic for how black metal has crossed it's limits? Also: do you think it could lead to noticable new forms of metal? Or what do you think about the political and cultural circumstances? All the bands have mp3's on their site, feel free to voice your opinion of those aswell if you wish. It's not my intention to start a thread filled with links though.

Barbaros, Algeria "Berber Black Metal" You can listen to more Barbaros here
Odius, Egypt Black/death metal with Egyptian folk influences.
Aras, Iran Burzum-inspired black metal. (edit: let me rephrase that: Norwegian inspired black metal that occasionally copies Burzum)
Enemite, China Chinese dark ambient.

Annihilaytorr

Re: Exotic Black Metal - BM gone too far?
November 04, 2006, 12:51:40 AM
Not surprising considering myspace is international.

November 04, 2006, 01:13:00 AM
So your suggestion is that because of the internet black metal spreads easier and is quicker to take on these forms? That's easy enough, but how do you feel about these adaptations in general?

November 04, 2006, 01:19:23 AM
I was going to start a topic about the internet ruining underground metal by putting it out in the world so early in development.  I might do that later on.

So do you have any reviews of these other styles?  Does anything seem impressive?

November 04, 2006, 01:19:50 AM
But are these exotic bands any worse than the norm? Black metal is living off the past and people are keeping it going so they have something to do, an identity. I gave up on buying new stuff a few months ago and started exploring 1970s heavy metal.

November 04, 2006, 01:51:55 AM
So do you have any reviews of these other styles? Does anything seem impressive?

My intention isn't really to talk about these bands, but about black metal having become such a widespread phenomenon and it's possible effects. Those bands are just examples, I did try to pick out the most interesting, but I found a dominican darkclone aswell, just another example albeit a bit worse.

But are these exotic bands any worse than the norm? Black metal is living off the past and people are keeping it going so they have something to do, an identity. I gave up on buying new stuff a few months ago and started exploring 1970s heavy metal.

That's one of my points: there's tons of bands that somehow want our attention, but the same stuff is even coming out of Algeria. Exploring 70's metal is far more rewarding than examining today's black metal I agree, but I also wanted to discuss the possible socio-political effects of this. Is it another example of westernisation or do the cultural expressions give cause to think differently?

November 04, 2006, 02:30:21 AM
I also wanted to discuss the possible socio-political effects of this. Is it another example of westernisation or do the cultural expressions give cause to think differently?

Globalization --> cultural homogenity

Remember, art must speak simultaneously about and to a given cultural audience; therein is its value as a means of transmission of heritage maintained. Without such cultural context, it ceases to have meaning.

November 04, 2006, 03:05:25 PM
That's one of my points: there's tons of bands that somehow want our attention, but the same stuff is even coming out of Algeria. Exploring 70's metal is far more rewarding than examining today's black metal I agree, but I also wanted to discuss the possible socio-political effects of this. Is it another example of westernisation or do the cultural expressions give cause to think differently?

Westernization, or globalization, as the articulate "hate edge" pointed out?

To me, there's two ways to go in life... either you accept the difficult truths and rise above them, or you find an easy answer that's socially acceptable. That later category is what the bands of today whether from Algeria or Arkansas are doing.

February 08, 2011, 03:51:02 AM
Black metal is Northern European. I rest my case.

February 08, 2011, 04:04:47 PM
Black metal is Northern European. I rest my case.

...Or South American.

February 08, 2011, 04:48:46 PM
Hellhammer and Bathory pre-dated Blasphemy, Mystifier, Sarcofago and others, even if I have a soft spot for Sarcofago and Blasphemy.

I don't know if it's a question of Northern European so much as a Romantic mindset, which most of these bands don't have. Few post-1993 bands are actually black metal, worldwide. The northern Europeans are the biggest offenders at this point. Well, actually, it's hard to tell who is the biggest offender, because there's about 5 good releases since 1993 and so much shit or trivial novelty stuff (including most "exotics," degrading colonial term) that few who can think are still looking. It's like sifting through a city's worth of poop looking for the corn. Forget it.

February 11, 2011, 01:12:36 PM
I don't find that exotic/novelty is necessarily bad, Sigh had a few hits before their continuity of misses, Xibalba had exotic undertones. I would go as far as to call Emperor - ITNE and forward as novelty. 

February 14, 2011, 04:39:30 PM
Does early Rudra count as "Exotic Black Metal"?  Granted, it's more Death than Black, but it's definitely an atmospheric form of Metal.

February 15, 2011, 02:54:18 PM
What about Arallu ?

February 15, 2011, 04:11:03 PM
What about X, or Y?