Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Intelligence and Metal

Intelligence and Metal
November 04, 2006, 07:08:24 AM
I know it's ridiculously unPC(*), or maybe just offensive to social norms, to mention this, but isn't it time we admitted that intelligence has an effect on metal?

If we ranked bands as good, better, best:

GOOD
Death
Possessed
Cannibal Corpse

BETTER
Deicide
Morbid Angel
Mayhem

BEST
Burzum
Immortal
Graveland

Can we see there's an intelligence difference between these artists, and there's a result in the music they make? The Cannibal Corpse guys aren't stupid, but like all things intelligence is a scale not a binary. Their music is OK but nothing you'll listen to for your whole life. The really transcendent shit comes from the brainiacs and the OK metal comes from smart guys who have a few good ideas.

Will I be arrested for saying this? lol

* Anywhere but here.

Re: Intelligence and Metal
November 04, 2006, 09:32:13 AM
CC is garbage...

I can agree on this: Cannibal Corpse is garbage, and Death is better (in fact, death may be better than listening to Cannibal Corpse).

But being better than garbage isn't much to recommend Death.

November 05, 2006, 06:59:11 PM
I hope no one is actually listening to CC their whole lives, what a waste on such worthless noise. Death as a whole would probably belong on the low end of the medium scale. Chuck had some integrity and vision early on, and worked well with James Murphy and on the Human album, but was so fractured from the start that its no suprise his output dwindled into sentimental guitar flash.
In fact, why not eschew CC entirely from that portion and let that slot be filled with something worthy ala At The Gates, or at least Cenotaph or Entombed.

November 05, 2006, 07:16:14 PM
Agree on CC, they're a great tranquilizer for insomniacs. Obviously, metal geeks like Prozak wouldn't recommend these retards on anyone. Intelligence in metal seem to be judged by how articulate the musician is in expressing himself with his vocals or guitar. The way feelings and emotions are communicated to his listeners is also a standard if a song was rendered with wit. Unfortunately, poser bands such as Krisiun and Cryptopsy think mindless chugging and stupid growling vocals makes for great listening.

November 06, 2006, 05:42:53 PM
Krisiun never tempted me because they were so one-dimensional. I wish metal recognized intelligence more than trend these days.

November 07, 2006, 04:30:01 AM
I think Deicide should be on the GOOD list and CC should be scrapped altogether.

November 07, 2006, 11:36:53 AM
Cannibal Corpse and Death shouldn't be on this list at all.

November 07, 2006, 07:50:01 PM
it seems pointless to devote a thread to ranking great bands that we already know to be good as higher on the scale than bands that are terrible. that is what this thread is about beneath the words about intelligence. i posted a better topic entitled "metalhead thinkers".

November 09, 2006, 02:20:03 PM
that is what this thread is about beneath the words about intelligence.

No, that's what people have turned it into. This thread asks the question: are better bands made by better intelligence?

November 09, 2006, 03:14:11 PM
Well to answer the cleared up question, "better" is obviously way to subjective, but in my opinion, a band has to be trying to reach for something higher or going after some kind of meaning for me to like them.  This means that the bands I think are "better" tend to be either intelligent or more passionate than the usual crop of metal music.

Annihilaytorr

November 09, 2006, 04:23:30 PM
It is pretty unintelligent to rank Immortal smarter than Morbid Angel, and even stupider to delete my original post suggesting that.

November 09, 2006, 05:51:33 PM
strange how the good, better best set forgot to mention important vital intelligent metal like Cynic, Atheist, Spastic Ink, Psychotic Waltz, later day Solitude Aeturnus, Vehemence, Gorguts, Red Harvest, mid period Morgoth, Meshuggah (first 3-4 albums and then it was a one trick pony), Gordian Knot, ........

and just putting on corpse paint brings your iq down by 20 points so there............Burzum i can understand as it is truly inhuman and lamost celestial...but immortal and graveland on the best ever inetlligent metal list ?!!!........alas, it is true, BM has taken over the forum

November 09, 2006, 08:19:03 PM
Black Metal seems to be dominant here because it was the last big movement and people seem to still look to it for the "meaningful music".  There is much meaningful music to be found in the genre, but there is so much garbage in it now that it is the same place as any other genre of metal.

November 10, 2006, 01:17:13 AM
Suleiman,

You're an idiot. "Meshuggah (first 3-4 albums and then it was a one trick pony)" etc.

I love the way people associate with cerebral metal on one hand, and then continuously and covertly try to legitimize their taste in bullshit music, eg: "Cradle of Filth's first album wasn't THAT bad."

Pathetic. Furthermore, what the fuck is the point of threads like these? I've seen at least ten superfluous 'rank your favourite bands, and mix bullshit bands amongst them so we can reconsider our configuration of good and bad' threads on this forum. Ferment them.

November 10, 2006, 11:59:56 AM
And dumbasses make dumbass music for dumbasses to listen to.  But also the best artists turn away from obsessing about metropolitical decay and towards nature, the forest and the cosmos, for inspiration.  And this is a distinct genre of pagan metal, and the soundtrack for cosmic consciousness.

Black Sabbath
Samhain
Voivod
BURZUM
ildjarn