Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Intelligence and Metal

Re: Intelligence and Metal
November 10, 2006, 01:27:30 PM
 Intelligence definately has an effect on metal. You can tell through the ideas expressed through music lyrically and the feelings conjured from the music itself.

Doesn't nessesarily mean you have to be brilliant to create good sounding music.

I enjoy more quality sounding music, but I have a fascination with horrible recordings by bands such as Burzum, Old Immortal type.

Death is definately in the BETTER category.

November 10, 2006, 08:02:24 PM
I would say that intelligence for creating metal doesn't fall upon a linear scale so much as it falls upon a differential scale. Even then, I don't think it's the kind of thing you can measure on a scale, so take the following with a grain of salt:

Athiest is eternal for certain reasons. Burzum is eternal for similar, yet drastically different reasons.

In essence, both bands took different paths to the same goal. How a band says something is far less important than what they are saying through the medium of aesthetic, let alone, why they are saying it in the first place.

This requires a certain intelligence to realize that there are many paths towards greatness.

Wow. For the unenlightened, my post must sound amazingly contradictory. Suffice it to say, you will never know until you try.

November 10, 2006, 08:20:37 PM
In essence, both bands took different paths to the same goal. How a band says something is far less important than what they are saying through the medium of aesthetic, let alone, why they are saying it in the first place.

Can you explain this a little further? It reads to me as if you are suggesting that the 'why' factor is not important. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, I am just not sure what you are really trying to say here.

November 10, 2006, 08:26:08 PM
Sure.

What a band says, and why a band says it, are far more important than HOW they say it. Thus, the seeming disparity between Burzum and Athiest (on the surface), yet the remarkable similarity of outcome for both bands. This surface-level discrepancy is apparent for many bands.

November 11, 2006, 01:38:38 AM
What a band says, and why a band says it, are far more important than HOW they say it.

It seems to me it takes high intelligence to see this. People start talking about linear scales of intelligence, and I think they're so used to measuring things they've forgotten that some people are simply smarter than others in ways that don't measure so much. Technically, William Faulkner may not have been as "brilliant" as Einstein, but he knew more of life and would be a better leader.

Nile577

November 26, 2006, 05:14:57 AM
I heard the Ildjarn-Nidhogg album for the first time today. It's the first time in years that I have found something amazing in Black Metal. It seems music of hope, somehow. Svart Dag is beautiful.