Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

What's next and who's doin it?

Re: What's next and who's doin it?
December 28, 2006, 11:00:24 PM
but in the 60's the rock bands were few and far between, only rock greats as far as the eye can see, back when rock meant something, well times change

It was new and uncluttered by common minds, the same way black metal was in the early 90's

December 29, 2006, 02:48:03 AM
I guess when I was thinking about classical vs. rock in my original post, I was thinking about good rock, as mentioned by many, the progressive rock bands (The Doors, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc). I can see some Blues influence, but not so much as Classical influence, especially in the melodies. I consider groups like the Beatles to have much more blues influence than the progressive bands that did indeed pave the way for more contemporary metal.

I think that for new, really good music, people need to just forget about genres, styles other groups have been labeled under, and past techniques. I think music is much more pure when basic structures+personal ingenuity and inventiveness and of course natural artisticness all meet up. That's what made so many groups in the past great. When reading interviews with bands, their personal favorites sound much much different than the music they make themselves. Maybe too many people have stuck to the formula way too much over time. Then again, metalheads often complain about anything that actually does end up sounding different. I think there are a lot of hurdles for newer musical groups to get through that make it almost impossible to even sit down and create good music.What's the process for uncluttering any artistic process? Sticking with what's good and ignoring the rest? Or maybe simply ignoring any and all other opinions and just creating.

December 29, 2006, 03:09:14 AM
led zeppelin are far more blues then classical, i still don't think any rock group in the traditional sense is classically based, especially since rock music was to begin with a revolt against complicated forms of music

December 29, 2006, 07:22:51 PM
If you think people should forget about genres, then why did you ask this "What's next" in a string of genres in the first place?

December 30, 2006, 12:11:48 AM

Then again, metalheads often complain about anything that actually does end up sounding different.

if that were true we would hate any of the original black metal bands, dead can dance, all doom metal acts, atheist, slayer, sodom, neptune towers, bathory, all grindcore bands, Celtic frost, possessed, master, all folk inspired bands and any band that took progressive rock as a influence (not including king crimson)  

December 30, 2006, 04:40:51 AM
You're right, Zeppelin had a goodly amount of blues influence along with the classical. I don't really think it was a string of genres, just somewhat of an outline to try to minimize arguments about simple crap. I was being sarcastic, a little bit, with the metalheads being critical about certain groups and metal genres, but honestly, so many people will look at only the first couple bands in a genre to do something as being "the masters of the art form" ::)  I think that in most cases, the influences for a genre sound far different than the genre itself. For instance, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds were at the beginning of the modern goth movement, and yet now, groups like Ohgr and Spahn Ranch are considered goth (I've even seen Wolfsheim labeled as goth www.gotblack.com/radio . Two completely different sounds and styles within the labeled genre. That's why, at a certain point, genres become somewhat meaningless.

Those last questions were honest questions.Can anybody unclutter their minds enough to simply create without really any past influences in mind, going simply from what flows through one's mind?

Is this possible?

December 30, 2006, 05:02:41 AM
thats probably (and i say probably because i don't no any of the later bands you mentioned) because they aren't goth, its just like people calling slipknot metal, it just ain't

December 30, 2006, 05:10:18 AM
could be. Goth is so degenerate nowadays anyway, much like metal, the Goth scene used to be about romanticism and art, and has slowly degenerated into Slipknot(metal)and Combichrist(goth). I guess I'm just dissapointed in most music lately. Most of the joy and happiness I've been able to find in music has beed discovering or rediscovering older music. I guess if the generation and culture are crap, the music is too, for the most part.

December 30, 2006, 05:54:40 AM
almost every single modern band (as in they joined recently not an older band currently going) sounds all very retro, because it is. Everything most of these bands do has been done time and time again, they simple add in some stylistic features that are modern

January 08, 2007, 12:36:41 AM
Everything most of these bands do has been done time and time again, they simple add in some stylistic features that are modern

This might be a serious problem with simplistic music and a good reason to avoid it.

January 08, 2007, 03:39:28 AM
Bathory? Burzum? Darkthrone?

January 08, 2007, 03:50:20 AM
metal doesn't try or claim it has done anything new musically or ideologically

It simple brings musical convention and ideas of older times back with a modern touch