Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

A-list prole musik

Re: A-list prole musik
February 08, 2012, 08:35:18 PM
Why would you bother listening to jazz when there's classical? Or rock when there's metal? Sorry to get Darwinian here, but settling for second-best because it's hip is foolish.

Why would you bother listening anything else if there's classical?

As long as you avoid drum circle jazz, you will find virtue (in the whole sense, not just playing "hard stuff"), it is much more than just muscular memory. Even, I like to go specific on music... I don't listen to classical, or metal, or jazz: I listen Vivaldi, Therion, and Alain Caron to the proportions I find suitable.

I don't think in terms of hipness. Classical music has its own pretentious snobs, but I don't put my attention to them whenever I attend to a Beethoven concert.

And who knows, to a certain point, I think that individual taste matters; I would rather listen this than Ildjarn; it produces more interesting figures in my mind.

February 08, 2012, 09:13:19 PM
Speaking on a much less esoteric level, most of the jazz posted here simply sounds like furniture music. The kind you use as a soundtrack to a cooking program.  Most other jazz I've heard is either just that or absolute, unlistenable randomness.

February 09, 2012, 12:20:31 AM
Speaking on a much less esoteric level, most of the jazz posted here simply sounds like furniture music. The kind you use as a soundtrack to a cooking program.  

Would you elaborate on what do you understand as furniture music, and how it serves as background music for TV? I think that the jazz posted here demands educated attention, and it is not suitable for the purposes you mention. I can assume that if all you can hear is elevator happy/nostalgic triads, you aren't paying attention.

February 09, 2012, 01:57:02 AM
I must admit I can't stomach much jazz music, aside altogether from any technical or compositional arguments for or against it, I just hate the sleezy, urban emotionality it conveys. Metal and classical are on the other end of the spectrum as they seek to become something beyond the transient, I can relate to it.

February 09, 2012, 03:45:12 AM
The more jazz music is influenced by classical music, the more I like it, and the more classical music is influenced by jazz music, the least I like it. A mix between Jazz and classical can be good but It's better if it remains background  music. Classical is a much rewarding experience in the end. For music that sticks on a more human scale, it's better to listen to folk, country and traditional music.

February 09, 2012, 04:39:06 AM
The more jazz music is influenced by classical music, the more I like it, and the more classical music is influenced by jazz music, the least I like it. A mix between Jazz and classical can be good but It's better if it remains background  music. Classical is a much rewarding experience in the end. For music that sticks on a more human scale, it's better to listen to folk, country and traditional music.

Agree, Jazz is not even 5% of the music I listen to, but I can appreciate a good improvisation or a good composition, and won't call it random. I simply prefer classical and metal music because of my personality.

February 09, 2012, 03:00:43 PM
Let me ask a more general question:  why should we even celebrate music, literature or art that operates on the purely human, everyday level at all?  My actual life already operates on that level.  Why do I want to go home at night to read a book or listen to music that duplicates what I just experienced that day??  It's an exercise in redundancy. 

February 09, 2012, 04:13:31 PM
Let me ask a more general question:  why should we even celebrate music, literature or art that operates on the purely human, everyday level at all?  My actual life already operates on that level.  Why do I want to go home at night to read a book or listen to music that duplicates what I just experienced that day??  It's an exercise in redundancy. 

The purpose of art isn't simply to replicate experience, the purpose of art is also to help us understand experience and draw value and pleasure from it.  Transcendent, myth-scaled art exposes us to a new kind of experience: human-scale art provides us with a means for reexamining the experiences we've all shared in a new light.

February 09, 2012, 05:47:40 PM
While all experiences and pursuits that are struggled for have essentially similar transcendant goals (doing one better i.e.), there is a hierarchy of experience and understanding. Ideas explored may be distinct in different forms of art, but that's a totally surface thing. It's the ideals (or whatever you want to call true value) that really matter. As such, truly sublime art can be applied to ANY experience. It is well suited for all of them. The lower art forums are just more familiar seeming on surface appraisal.

If an art operates on a purely human level it is relatively worthless. No further gains can be made. Especially not for those exposed to higher art.

February 09, 2012, 08:57:13 PM
If an art operates on a purely human level it is relatively worthless. No further gains can be made. Especially not for those exposed to higher art.

There were never any gains to be made: there is only life, what you make of life, and what life makes of you.  Progress is an illusion.

February 09, 2012, 09:21:51 PM
There are only gains to be made. Then you die. Either die having gained or die with nothing.

February 09, 2012, 09:59:54 PM
Furniture music is a kind description. This "music" is trivial. It's not about anything except itself.

February 09, 2012, 10:18:50 PM
There are only gains to be made. Then you die. Either die having gained or die with nothing.

Having gained what, precisely?

February 09, 2012, 10:48:25 PM
"Precisely"? I don't know. Gnosis, perfection, realization, satisfaction, knowledge, God. I know that when I let go of all value, something persists. When the self is reduced to nothing, a consciousness emerges. Directing oneself towards that can only be called gain I think. Still, perhaps there is no real difference between what each of us said; in action they seem to be identical. There is only life and what one makes of it, yet we try to make "something" out of our life. So having gained that I guess.

February 10, 2012, 04:29:48 AM
Transcendent, myth-scaled art exposes us to a new kind of experience: human-scale art provides us with a means for reexamining the experiences we've all shared in a new light.

If you ask me, doses of both in the musical diet keep things interesting. Of course I lean towards the former 9 times out of 10, but there are some times where I'll just throw on some punk and enjoy it for what it is.