Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Lord Wind

Lord Wind
November 15, 2006, 06:53:39 PM
What does everyone think of Atlantean Monument? It's available from NCR.

Re: Lord Wind
November 16, 2006, 09:02:53 PM
Very different from anything Darken has ever put out. The instrumentation is a lot more varied than past releases, I especially like the different string instruments used (such as the harp on 'Rain Healing the Wounds'). The production is also good, less harder to tell that a lot of it was made with synths.

I'd say it's his best album in the past 5 years.

November 16, 2006, 09:11:01 PM
Here are some thoughts:
- compositionally, this is the most advanced work to date
- has beautifully subtle, yet warlike melodies
- stronger tension/catharsis contrast, unlike previous albums
- some will say it's nothing new, but for me it is "form over substance"
- while the drum/arpeggio often pretends speed, narration moves at a more appropiate rate
- the fake voices are still annoying when overused

November 16, 2006, 10:54:00 PM
I agree with your evaluation.

The voices are distracting at times. They are given a lead role but don't have a lead sound. He would be better served to use them in a different way.

November 18, 2006, 06:53:40 PM
Most interesting so far. Still something wrong with the drums, maybe he should drop them entirely. Get a female vocalist. I think the chick from Dead Can Dance is unemployed these days. I like different moods on it. Less samey than Heralds of Fight and more inspiring than Ride of the Valkyries.

If I were SoundForge I'd make sure he is a registered, purchased user because this one screams "made on a laptop at a coffee shop while discussing fascism with my skinhead buddies."