Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Bands better than icons in a style

Bands better than icons in a style
November 18, 2006, 12:53:29 PM
Sometimes, several bands work in a style... and one is recognized as the best, although it may not be so. I feel this is the case with Dissection. Sacramentum is clearly the more intense music, although the Somberlain was quite good, but no one has heard of Sacramentum relative to Dissection.

It bothers me.

Re: Bands better than icons in a style
November 18, 2006, 02:51:55 PM
I yell about SACRAMENTUM to people whenever I have the opportunity to do so.  Your example in this case is clearly correct - much more often than not, those touting DISSECTION as the primary example of well-crafted "melodic black/death metal" have had limited or zero exposure to SACRAMENTUM, including those well-versed in the underground in general in my experience.  I think SACRAMENTUM, or possibly Adipocere Records, failed themselves somewhat by making some unfortunate marketing decisions that obscured them through genericism in presentation.

Other examples here are obvious: for every ENTOMBED there is a GOD MACABRE (perhaps a weak example, but one worked and expanded within the style of the other).

Nile577

November 18, 2006, 03:33:03 PM
In my opinion Deeds of Flesh is better than Suffocation & Graveland is better than Bathory (where their styles overlap).

November 18, 2006, 06:47:03 PM
this happens at all levels though, there will be those people who have no real death metal and claim cannibal corpse to be the pinnacle of death for they have had no exposer to Morpheus descends and suffocation much like the majority of people at our level (of knowledge of bands i mean) would class dissection as the height of melodic death metal for they have not herd sacramentum. the only way to avoid this is to have every single decent death metal album every recorded

November 18, 2006, 07:11:29 PM
I yell about SACRAMENTUM to people whenever I have the opportunity to do so.  Your example in this case is clearly correct - much more often than not, those touting DISSECTION as the primary example of well-crafted "melodic black/death metal" have had limited or zero exposure to SACRAMENTUM, including those well-versed in the underground in general in my experience.  I think SACRAMENTUM, or possibly Adipocere Records, failed themselves somewhat by making some unfortunate marketing decisions that obscured them through genericism in presentation.

The Necrolord coverart for Far Away From the Sun was, in retrospect, an unfortunate decision.  

The bigger handicap they faced was being on Adipocere in the first place.  Their distribution on the Continent was okay, but they didn't have much penetration of the North American and British markets - which is where the big, taste-making metal rags are located.  Besides, Dissection's take on the style was much more obvious and far more pleasingly referrential of first generation heavy metal (accessible to the burnouts).

November 18, 2006, 07:14:55 PM
In my opinion Deeds of Flesh is better than Suffocation

Morpheus (Descends) likewise...

Another great example is first album Seance - who pull off the Entombed/Grave end of the Swedish style with a lot more aplomb than either of those bands.

Gutted and Mortuary easily surpass Obituary or Massacre.

November 19, 2006, 08:16:46 PM
Good call on Seance - I agree 'Saltrubbed Eyes' easily surpasses both of those bands and remains to this day one of the top albums from Sweden.

Are you talking about the US incarnation of Gutted that released 'Bleed for Us to Live' in 1994?

edit: I meant Gutted, sorry for the typo

Annihilaytorr

November 19, 2006, 10:26:04 PM

Gutted and Mortuary easily surpass Obituary or Massacre.

I don't see how these bands are really comparable in this context, especially Gutted.  When I read the initial post, I thought of Gutted surpassing Cannibal Corpse. Mortuary has some outward similarities to the bands you named, but saying they "easily surpass" the Floridian bands is easily debatable(especially considering how dated their debut album was for 1992 and that given its release year, is most likely influenced by the aforementioned anyway). A much better case could be constructed for Pestilence.

I don't understand why Polluted Inheritance isn't one of the original household names of technical Death Metal.

I also don't see how Witchfinder General gets so much more press than something as great as Pagan Altar

Annihilaytorr

November 19, 2006, 10:47:04 PM
Good call on the very over rated Suffocation being out done by a number of others though.  If I had a time machine I would be torn between stopping the Allies from getting the Bomb first and killing Suffocation before they could wiggerize and ruin Death Metal.

November 19, 2006, 11:09:16 PM
In my opinion Deeds of Flesh is better than Suffocation & Graveland is better than Bathory (where their styles overlap).

Yes to the first, but the only Graveland album I rate more highly than "Hammerheart" is "Thousand Swords", the more Bathory-esque Graveland stuff is inferior methinks.

Pagan Altar do own Witchfinder General, too.

November 21, 2006, 08:10:56 AM
Some icons are the best in their style: for example, Metallica ;)

November 21, 2006, 09:36:17 AM
deeds of flesh is definately not better then suffocation

ICONOCLAST_IS_GOD

November 21, 2006, 12:57:02 PM
Good call on the very over rated Suffocation being out done by a number of others though.  If I had a time machine I would be torn between stopping the Allies from getting the Bomb first and killing Suffocation before they could wiggerize and ruin Death Metal.

Do the first and Suffocation wouldn't have existed.

RSF

November 22, 2006, 07:20:47 AM
Some icons are the best in their style: for example, Metallica ;)

What style might that mean to you? Speed metal? Thrash metal?

November 22, 2006, 12:09:01 PM
Sometimes, several bands work in a style... and one is recognized as the best, although it may not be so. I feel this is the case with Dissection. Sacramentum is clearly the more intense music, although the Somberlain was quite good, but no one has heard of Sacramentum relative to Dissection.

It bothers me.

Yea, I've also noticed a disturbingly large portion of metalheads that seem well immersed in this style have never heard of Necrophobic or "The Nocturnal Silence". Many of those who are acquainted with this band have only learned about them through their latest release (it being probably their most accessible as of yet). Unfortunately, they're missing out on some excellent death metal of the blackened variety.