Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

How to get brutally strong

How to get brutally strong
February 11, 2012, 06:17:49 AM
There is more to life than whining about why black metal sucks today. A few tips on how to get you out of that chair you're plastered on:

1. Buy "Starting Strength - Basic Barbel Training" by Mark Rippetoe

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rippetoe

2. Read the book THOROUGHLY.  

3. Join the Starting Strength Forums. Here, you will ask questions about anything you are unclear of and you will post videos of yourself executing the exercises. LOL, seems weird but just as you think you have the technique and form down...there's a good chance you certainly will not :)

startingstrength.com/resources/forum/

Set aside plenty  of time to do your homework for the next several months as you attempt the simple 3-day/week strength program discussed in the book. The bio-mechanics/physics of the squat, deadlift, over-head press, bench press, etc are extensively covered. There is also a section on how to set-up your beginner's program which again, is NOT complicated. Even if you have NO experience lifting weights, there's an article on that too. Three main exercises per session, good luck.

Re: How to get brutally strong
February 11, 2012, 06:26:29 AM
"A weak man is not as happy as that same man would be if he were strong. This reality is offensive to some people who would like the intellectual or spiritual to take precedence." - Rippetoe, page 1.

Black metal powerlifter: http://www.jimwendler.com/

"...If you read and comprehend [Starting Strength] and nothing else, you will be ahead of 99% of the training world." Quote by Wendler on the back of Rippetoe's subsequent book titled, Practical Programming.

February 12, 2012, 09:33:36 PM
I feel terrible when I'm weak :)
This has always been an issue with me, with no solution, until I - quite recently - discovered I had a gluten-allergy.
Meaning I could either eat a lot, or almost nothing, and still extract almost zero food-value from whatever I consumed.
Meaning zero fat, little bulk, and very low energy.
Meaning being always cold if the ambient temperature fell below 70F.
Meaning having no cushioning to protect from damage.

Strength - of the physical type - can only happen in the presence of fuel.
A minor point, perhaps, but something to consider.
I increased my body weight by 25% once I removed gluten from my diet.
Muscle and fat, together, makes you feel goooooood :)

February 13, 2012, 10:33:16 AM
It's good to keep fit, but I try to be more the athletic type than the nutcase aggro prison type with tattoos on the neck.

February 13, 2012, 10:35:23 AM
I personally like 5/3/1 with N.O.V. template.

"Take drugs
Worship Satan"
-Jim Wendler

February 13, 2012, 01:03:14 PM
It's good to keep fit, but I try to be more the athletic type than the nutcase aggro prison type with tattoos on the neck.

This is the healthiest method too. Unfortunately, now that most American men are officially gay bodybuilding in the USA has become an "arms race" (huehuehue, pun intended) where pumping yourself up like a muscle mary is the only way to preserve your rectal purity.

February 13, 2012, 04:14:20 PM
stronglifts.com

I followed the program on that site for about 3-4 months, and became strong like bull. My studies have gotten in the way of my workout habits; I really need to get back on that.

February 13, 2012, 08:38:52 PM
Eat 3500 to 4000 calories a day

*good calories*

and go to the gym three times a week and do mostly bench press, military press, chin ups, dead lifts and squats.

not that hard

February 13, 2012, 08:53:02 PM
There is more to life than whining about why black metal sucks today. A few tips on how to get you out of that chair you're plastered on:

1. Buy "Starting Strength - Basic Barbel Training" by Mark Rippetoe

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rippetoe

2. Read the book THOROUGHLY.  

3. Join the Starting Strength Forums. Here, you will ask questions about anything you are unclear of and you will post videos of yourself executing the exercises. LOL, seems weird but just as you think you have the technique and form down...there's a good chance you certainly will not :)

startingstrength.com/resources/forum/

Set aside plenty  of time to do your homework for the next several months as you attempt the simple 3-day/week strength program discussed in the book. The bio-mechanics/physics of the squat, deadlift, over-head press, bench press, etc are extensively covered. There is also a section on how to set-up your beginner's program which again, is NOT complicated. Even if you have NO experience lifting weights, there's an article on that too. Three main exercises per session, good luck.

This.

I ran the beginner program for 10 months before I couldn't progress any more. I've added 150 lbs or more in the big three.
Don't overestimate what you can do in a day, and don't underestimate what years of effort can accomplish.

February 14, 2012, 02:29:31 PM
Much appretiation and gratitude to "in abyssia" for posting the topic "strength training" about a year ago.

I became blessed with strength i did not possesed and could see that in nature quality is much more important than quantity, among many other things.

Good and honest advice will always reach a ear willing to listen, even one that is far.

Keep up the good work and much thanks.

February 19, 2012, 07:09:26 AM
Wow. Awesome! I'm glad there are strength enthusiasts in this board.  Strong Lifts worked really well for me in the beginning.

Background: I got into a street fight at a party several years ago. The guy threw the first punch, he missed, I decked him across the face and broke his nose (LOL I felt so victorious for that moment), then he got even more pissed  and threw me down and took a massive blow at my face as he pinned me on the floor. My buddy came instantly and snagged him off me and beat the shit out of him while I lay there on the floor dazed and bleeding profusely. Sigh.

After a case of beer later that night, I typed on google "how to gain strength". I was EMBARRESED because this fucking Cradle of Filth prick tackled ME down! Funny how these sort of things put you on check :) So, I discovered Mehdi's Strong Lifts program and long story short, worked really well until I stalled on the majority of the core lifts. Then came in Mr. Rippetoe. GAWD. He is the fucking man let me tell ya...Go figure, the dude is a former scientist/competitive powerlifter with 30 years experience coaching.

Buy his books. They'll do you a huge favor.

February 19, 2012, 07:14:50 AM
By the way, started this thread AGAIN because I wanted to expose Mr. Rippetoe who is the more proficient and seasoned strength training coach/writer/guru than say, Mehdi of StrongLifts. A personal opinion.

Oh and also, Mehdi/Strong Lifts creator is now CHARGING to get into his message board. Fucking cunt. Another reason why to start this thread.

February 19, 2012, 12:38:33 PM
I'd also like to express my thanks, both for this thread and last year's.  I'm going to send both links to some friends of mine; hopefully they'll get off their arses (and come with me to the gym, haha!  No homo).

February 19, 2012, 07:39:24 PM
If you look careful enough, you can find an uploaded copy of the old edition of "Starting Strength". But that only works so far. You need to have a hard copy to take with you to the gym :)

- Rippetoe Interview - Basic Barbel Training

- Rippetoe Coaching

- Typical Rippetoe Brash Humor

February 19, 2012, 07:48:41 PM
You know, a member messaged me a few days ago and asked me if I incorporate martial arts into my regimen. I do not. I should, however. What is keeping me back is my stubbornness and laziness to make time to learn how to fight. I'd love to have a coach for this. Anyway, I've only been in a brawl twice. The first time I was victorious (LOL - was 16 at the time, and I was always a skinny dude) and the second time, well by now that should be obvious...I lost!

Here's an excellent article on how to correctly program martial arts with strength training: http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/02/531-and-mma/

Throughout the week, Master Wendler recommends you should do your martial arts thing and conditioning. It is only twice a week at the gym, or home gym, where you should be lifting the iron to get stronger.