Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Altruism=narcissism

Altruism=narcissism
February 11, 2012, 08:59:55 PM
If people do the right thing for the wrong reason is it still right? Egoism is one of the hardest ethical principles to get one's mind around.

For example, some wealthy people donate a large sum of money to hospitals, universities, the arts, and so forth. Why do they do so? Are they merely wishing to generously support causes and institutions they think highly of or do they want to influence these organizations in some selfish way or perhaps just see their names on the front of big buildings?

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/do-the-right-thing/201010/altruism-in-the-service-narcissism

It seems to me that the people who give intelligently:

(a) Do so anonymously
(b) Reward things that are already thriving
(c) Aim their aid at institutions and infrastructure
(d) Prefer charity to government intervention
(e) Consistently give small amounts

The unintelligent givers among us tend to:

(a) Give publicly
(b) Attempt to help the hopeless
(c) Aim their aid at individuals and groups
(d) Prefer government intervention to private charity
(e) Give large amounts on rare occasions

I would rather we destroy all Nanny State programs and let charity take over. Yes, that's my inner Rand Paul talking. I don't trust bureaucrats and distant agencies to get it right. I'd rather have local churches help out those who can figure out how to ask for help to further an already intelligent approach to resolving their misfortune.

Governments seem to create professional parasites who do nothing to help themselves. On top of that, they hire many professional parasites to administer it. No wonder the problem gets worse whenever government is involved.

Re: Altruism=narcissism
February 14, 2012, 05:03:27 PM
Maybe this is a virtue of classical conservative culture that maybe exists in rural parts of the middle east and asia, but this would never work in the United States. American conservatives that I know have a more darwinist viewpoint that charity only enables the poor, and that wealth is purely the result of your own success, intelligence, work-ethic, and the ability to overcome obstacles no matter how severe. These are the people that do charity for the recognition, and not for the good it actually does.

February 14, 2012, 06:10:21 PM
Why are most people who are poor, poor?

Why are most people who are rich, rich?

I imagine the difference is that one group has money.
How do you get money?

You work a job that pays a high enough salary, or
You inherit, or
You put your money into investments that pay off well, or
You own a business

How do you not get money?
By not doing one or more of the above

Why are the poor poor and the rich rich, and not otherwise?

February 14, 2012, 08:11:08 PM

How do you not get money?
By not doing one or more of the above

Why are the poor poor and the rich rich, and not otherwise?

Or if you lose your job, your business fails, or your job does not pay enough. Or you acquire a lot of debt through bad choices, or medical bills.

February 16, 2012, 03:37:29 AM
American conservatives that I know have a more darwinist viewpoint that charity only enables the poor.

What's bad about enabling the poor?

Other than the fact that "the poor" don't exist.

It's a slang term for lower caste and class groups, including those of darker races.

Whisper that last part, like it's an exotic rape fantasy.