Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

What is the meaning of life?

What is the meaning of life?
February 12, 2012, 05:34:45 PM
If you say it is reproduction, you're saying that the meaning of something is to make more of it.

Re: What is the meaning of life?
February 12, 2012, 05:57:41 PM

Phoenix

February 12, 2012, 09:30:19 PM
Life creates meaning, not the other way around.

February 12, 2012, 09:34:43 PM
Life creates meaning, not the other way around.

Hehe :)
That's what I call economical use of language.

February 13, 2012, 10:28:14 AM
This year I want to learn more about gardening and identifying different bird species in my area. On the technology side of things it would be good to learn a program for editing video footage.

February 13, 2012, 02:17:31 PM
The meaning of life is life.

Live it well.

That does not mean live it for yourself.
That would be so easy, so obvious...

It means to make it a beautiful object, like a Faberge egg.
That includes both self and world.

However, for most people this is a mystery.
They only can understand what they are ready to understand.

They only understand the words they already understand.
It's Darwinistic in that way...
We must evolve, and then the truth is obvious to us.

Until then, we are simply disconnected.

February 13, 2012, 06:28:10 PM
Good reply :)
But I remind that the 'so easy' and the 'so obvious' are sometimes the very things that nobody notices, simply because of those qualities.
What if those things were the Great Secret that sages and holy men seek out, their whole lives, only to feel like simpletons, when they finally discover them?
I remember well, laughing myself silly, at my own idiocy, under such circumstances (:>

February 14, 2012, 10:47:35 PM
To play your role in the cosmic battle of Good Vs. Evil.

God on one side.  Satan on the other.  Man in the middle.  That's the meaning of life, and it's very metal.

February 16, 2012, 03:36:05 AM
What if those things were the Great Secret that sages and holy men seek out, their whole lives, only to feel like simpletons, when they finally discover them?

The most profound truths are the ones that seem obvious. It's knowing why they are true that is the battle.

February 16, 2012, 07:20:05 AM

The most profound truths are the ones that seem obvious. It's knowing why they are true that is the battle.

Knowing is not enough. You must live by the Truth. It's harder. For exemple, you can know that to fullfill your destiny, you have to climb the Everest. But if you don't beging to walk, your going nowhere.

February 16, 2012, 08:29:19 PM
Living a truth is applying that truth.

Not as hard a concept as many make it out to be.

Then again, I doubt "climb Everest" is the answer for anyone.

February 16, 2012, 08:59:47 PM
If you say it is reproduction, you're saying that the meaning of something is to make more of it.

The meaning of life is to promulgate a species, and many fail. It's not really meaning at all. Life is a cosmic joke. You're the one applying meaning to something that doesn't inherently have meaning. Not to mention, we haven't even defined meaning. For a lot of humans, meaning means a good dopamine rush (not a good or bad thing).

February 16, 2012, 09:33:19 PM
So perhaps the "meaning of life" is not universal but varies per individual - or is this just a faulty modern relativistic viewpoint?

February 16, 2012, 10:19:45 PM
So perhaps the "meaning of life" is not universal but varies per individual - or is this just a faulty modern relativistic viewpoint?

No, it's that the "meaning of life" isn't even defined. For some people, they question meaning, because they don't get what they want. For others, they are trying to find a sort of universality within mankind. The list goes on. It's not that meaning can be subjective, it's that "meaning" is just an umbrella term for a wide range of larger questions, feelings, and experiences.

February 16, 2012, 11:20:32 PM
Metaphorically speaking, the purpose of life, for a man, is to slay the dragon and rescue the maiden.  For a woman, it is to be rescued by the knight in shining armor.  It doesn't get any more perfect than that.  It's universal in a metaphoric sense.