Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Acknowledging human nature

Acknowledging human nature
February 12, 2012, 07:57:01 PM
Humans have this tendency to fake bewilderment and shock at things that happen around us that expose some disgusting aspects of how we are built, and what the dynamics of survival are.

Columbine, Virginia Tech, any abnormal incident you read about in the news about some schizophrenic ripping his eyes out at church service, some mother eating her own child.. all of this is met with

" how could this happen ? I DON'T UNDERSTAND" and then they group with people who are also faking awe, so that together they can feel like upstanding morally sound citizens. Most don't attempt to disect the chains of causality, they just let their first emotional response be a kill switch for rational analysis, before they go on with their normal day.

One reason nihilism is unpopular is because it is very very hard to collectively get a herd of people to explore the dark side of humanity even in abstract discussion. Excessive negative thoughts are not practical for survival. If on the regular your thought process consists of a string of Anus forum topics, chances are you are thinking above and beyond the average human who only sees the purpose in determining which product is good and which product is bad, and that's the extent to which they permit negativity.  For instance outside of the internet you will rarely find the right time and place to discuss less superficial topics with the average chump. They will tell you you are being negative. At best, with a political discussion, you'll maybe reach some depth but the do gooder liberals will be the steering wheels of that conversation because most face-face debate is guided by emotion.

Discussing really dark things like what is really behind some mall shooting incident will not go over well. This taps into questions about our own nature that we don't want to get into. Our own bodies try to fight plunging into that abyss. All kinds of nerves working together to make sure the human remains a happy retard. This is difficult enough to do in one individual, and pretty much impossible to do in a whole population. Thus we will never admit  that our own nature is our problem. And I don't really know where to go from there....

Re: Acknowledging human nature
February 12, 2012, 09:14:02 PM
Emotions are a subject I often ponder.
What are they? What use are they?
Your average Joe will claim they are what makes us human, but I beg to differ...
Emotions, I find, are self-indulgent masturbations, that attempt to take something, and turn it into something it never was.
You see this often, for example, in documentaries. Background music that is specifically chosen to evoke an emotional response, but played louder than the voice-over. The scene being filmed becomes not what it is, any more, but a vehicle for some 'message' or other, to the accompaniment of contrived emotion.

I decide that emotion is a self-indulgent attempt to wring too much out of an event.
Instead of clearly living the moment in which the event occurs, the event becomes a parody of what it was, and we then respond, emotionally, to that parody.

I had a hard time explaining all this to my wife, but now that she 'gets it', she has a serenity that previously did not exist.
With a quiet mind, and a keen ability to observe, she exudes a beauty she never had, before.

Emotion is a symptom of mental instability. A little is not a bad thing, but an excess signals trouble-to-come.

Squawk!

February 13, 2012, 03:27:15 AM
Suppressing emotions will lead to mental illness. We have the ability to overlook our "feelings" to do what is necessary for the practical good but please ... ignore the shit written above. He is a robot.

February 13, 2012, 04:07:43 AM
... ignore the shit written above. He is a robot.

That's what happens when emotions rule.
Whereas calm reason gets you calm reason.

Squawk!

February 13, 2012, 07:14:35 AM
Emotions are a subject I often ponder.
What are they? What use are they?
Your average Joe will claim they are what makes us human, but I beg to differ...
Emotions, I find, are self-indulgent masturbations, that attempt to take something, and turn it into something it never was.
You see this often, for example, in documentaries. Background music that is specifically chosen to evoke an emotional response, but played louder than the voice-over. The scene being filmed becomes not what it is, any more, but a vehicle for some 'message' or other, to the accompaniment of contrived emotion.

I decide that emotion is a self-indulgent attempt to wring too much out of an event.
Instead of clearly living the moment in which the event occurs, the event becomes a parody of what it was, and we then respond, emotionally, to that parody.

I had a hard time explaining all this to my wife, but now that she 'gets it', she has a serenity that previously did not exist.
With a quiet mind, and a keen ability to observe, she exudes a beauty she never had, before.

Emotion is a symptom of mental instability. A little is not a bad thing, but an excess signals trouble-to-come.

so you group all emotion in the same category? for instance a person feeling emotive over ulitmate mortality vs a person being emotional about traffic? Do the degrees of it matter? for instance if you get too much or too little of certain emotions could it laed to a certain worldview, enlightenment?
could self denying serenity be just low key thinned out emotion?

Wha do you think of art? Self indulgence that realizes that it is self indulgence but can't escape itself so it has to be channeled into something?

February 13, 2012, 08:28:32 AM
Emotions are things that run people, when people let themselves be run.
Put them back in the toolbox and what's left? Senses, a mind, and...
Put everything back in the box and what's left then?
Direct perception only.
No opinions, comparisons, judgments.
Everything remains whatever it is, unchanged, untouched, like a forest before the chainsaw.

Some folks like to look at things as profit on the hoof.
I look at things as things are. But that's my preference. It doesn't mean it's 'right'.

As for art: what is art, anyway? There are many kinds, in many degrees, and for many reasons.
When I'm not building things, that inevitably turn into organic, functional art, I am writing, or speaking words.
I do what I do because that's what I do. No other reason.
I don't call it art, although that is a term some people use to describe it.

When I write, on a forum, for example, I am offering a way of seeing things.
I don't offer answers, because I don't have questions.
I realize that most people like to debate/argue, but I don't do that.
I make observations. To be considered, or not.

Squawk!

February 13, 2012, 09:19:49 AM
Suppressing emotions will lead to mental illness. We have the ability to overlook our "feelings" to do what is necessary for the practical good but please ... ignore the shit written above. He is a robot.

I'd have to agree that you had a very emotional response.

What I took from crow's statement was to learn to control your emotions and use them when they are needed.

I don't like waiting in lines, but on occasion I have to. Would you recommend i throw a tantrum the next time I am waiting in a line?

February 13, 2012, 04:03:06 PM
I don't think there is "human nature."

We have the same nature as any other animal.
Or maybe plants, even, for many of us.

When awful things happen it is for a reason.
No, not in the religious sense that Jesus meant it.
In the common sense, that something caused it.

Sometimes this is mental defect.

Sometimes it is suicide combined with rage at a dysfunctional society.
Because it is dying and can't admit it.
Because it is dying from lack of any purpose.

That covers your school shootings at least.
but i'm not sure if i can tinkle in front of a crowd.