Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Spam killing this forum

Spam killing this forum
February 22, 2012, 07:03:48 PM
Has anyone else noticed that very few people read this News section because every day, there's a new update (basically a bump) from several regular spammers? This forum is useless for news becuase no one participates because all they see as they scan over the front page is that there's more spam in news again.
but i'm not sure if i can tinkle in front of a crowd.

Re: Spam killing this forum
February 24, 2012, 12:33:27 AM
It is a helpful spam trap that keeps the thriving discussion areas uncluttered. Another benefit is no need for a dedicated janitor monitoring the subforum for spam all day and night. The drawback is that we have no place inside the forum for visible news updates. The metal blog page outside the forum has metal news updates as is, so it is somewhat of a redundancy anyway.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

February 24, 2012, 10:15:40 AM
It's that or bring back the compost section; which I assume was removed because it took too much work to moderate.
In a state of permanent Abyss

February 24, 2012, 05:11:26 PM
OK so it sounds like I should post metal news to the main forum instead since this is a spam trap?

February 25, 2012, 01:26:08 PM
The metal forum is slow. This is in part because quality metal is slow, and in part because there are not many active users of this forum.

Moving all the real metal topics into the Metal forum would revitalize it.

We could leave the spam here, and/or delete this forum at that point.

February 28, 2012, 06:21:54 PM
This is just stupid.

You've got the same two guys whose posts are always at the top of this forum.

Of course no one reads it, it looks like the same old shit every time.

February 29, 2012, 12:57:47 AM
True, however they have enough consideration and respect to keep self promotion confined as requested some time ago. The subforum went by another name (commerce?) but was then trimmed away to tidy up the place. So, they were invited in and given guidelines which they have remained loyal to. Still, others are concerned about the spam. We need a resolution for all parties. Public relations challenges have been brought up in other discussions so this is another factor to keep in mind. What's best for DLA/Metal Hall overall?
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

February 29, 2012, 02:56:50 PM
Is anyone actually reading the spam? These guys are tiny labels, not big advertisers. They're just looking for more places to spam. Then you've got a dead forum here. Is anything productive coming of this at all?