Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Wishlist for new SUMMONING album

Re: Wishlist for new SUMMONING album
September 20, 2012, 12:58:14 AM
This is great news for me.

I say, stick to the long melody style of Oath Bound, but vary the song structure. Its seems such powerful music is hindered by the formulaic approach to when melodies come in and leave, it usually happens the same way in every song, not just on Oath Bound either but throughout Summoning's life.

September 20, 2012, 07:33:04 PM
I say, stick to the long melody style of Oath Bound, but vary the song structure. Its seems such powerful music is hindered by the formulaic approach to when melodies come in and leave, it usually happens the same way in every song, not just on Oath Bound either but throughout Summoning's life.

You could call it "formulaic" (this seems to be a common description and complaint), or you could see it as "structured" and "layered". To me, Summoning seems almost obsessed with this concept of layering, and yes, they are "formulaic" in their manner of applying it. Again, I would argue that this is completely intentional, and not due to lack of alternative ideas (which is what people usually associate with the term 'formulaic'). Read more about this here.
"What does not kill me makes me stronger"
-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

September 21, 2012, 04:17:49 AM
When I look at my favorite Summoning songs, almost all of them follow the same song structure, so yeah, variation in that area would be good. Either way, I highly anticipate this album.

September 21, 2012, 03:44:35 PM
I've got 2 requests -

1) Stay the heck away from the "Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame" sound. Fruity and superfluous.

2) I've always been a fan of "Lugburz" and "Minas Morgul" the most. Perhaps reviving a bit of their feral energy and applying it to a "Oath Bound" type style would be interesting.

Other than that, looking forward to the new album.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

September 21, 2012, 05:37:02 PM
Less gay instruments. The mournful flute in land of the dead was one of the rare moments where they pull off the otherwise fruity sounding wind instruments.

A change of tempo within songs would be appreciated. The slow March feeling becomes grating. Oath bound wasn't so much a journey laden with trial adventure and conquest. It was a train ride through varying county sides.
There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us