Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Deicide

Re: Deicide
January 01, 2007, 02:28:49 PM
Once Upon The Cross seemed like Deicide realizing the potential of appealing to Cannibal Corpse's demographic. I blame that album in a big way for the dumbing down of Death Metal.

Interestingly, this is the first in a series of Deicide albums that were almost entirely written by Steve Asheim (he estimates that he wrote 90% of the tunes on "Once Upon the Cross" - "Scars of the Crucifix"), and I think the diminished musical results are quite telling; Asheim's style of writing really only worked well when it was superseded by the ideas of others (specifically, the early efforts of the Hoffman brothers), as it is just too simplified to be filling to anyone but the casual death metal fan.

January 01, 2007, 08:39:17 PM
Fuck deicide.... glen writes lyrics for shit

January 02, 2007, 05:14:14 PM
In reality, the Hoffman brothers credited themselves for the majority of the songwriting. Claiming that Glen would always prefer their style, although Steve wrote only few of the songs.
Either way, most of their stuff is too simple and without foundation, although Benton has serious philosophy, his terrible singing ruins it all.

January 02, 2007, 05:15:35 PM
Fuck deicide.... glen writes lyrics for shit

He was married in a Church and used to call himself a devil woshipper (pagan) and later claimed that no such thing existed...no shit...

January 08, 2007, 03:34:03 AM

Deicide were victims of their own self-promotion - they developed a cartoonish image that sold albums to the wrong people while discouraging the right ones from tuning in.

sounds like the problem with metal as a whole.

January 08, 2007, 05:36:29 PM

He was married in a Church and used to call himself a devil woshipper (pagan) and later claimed that no such thing existed...no shit...

Honestly, the two albums reviewed in the post are reason enough for Deicide to be remembered and taken seriously at all. Granted they have had some major fuck ups since then, and yes they contradicted themsleves on many an occassion. But we don't need to dwell on them. It makes no difference to their earlier works, whihc remain classic.

January 09, 2007, 08:52:56 PM
"Once Upon the Cross" was a great album although a bit dumb. Deicide really hit the shitter two albums later when they started sounding like Judas Priest on PCP.

January 10, 2007, 05:20:24 AM
Was I the only one who enjoyed Scars of the Crucifix based completely on music?
I do realise that the titles and lyrics were completely childish Christ-bashing.

January 10, 2007, 05:34:44 AM
I do realise that the titles and lyrics were completely childish Christ-bashing.

I have always stirred clear of later Deicide because everytone has told me it's best to do so, but still I won't say anything bad about the later music until I hear it.

That being said, you have to be able to understand why someone would be upset by this.  It's not like he was in Venom where the lyrics of Satan were not serious.  Glen Benton actually claimed to be serious.  

Maybe believing in Satan was his course toward finding a real religion.  People like that need something to believe in rather than accept the world for what it is.  You'd think someone who sang of the horrors of Earth would no better though.

January 10, 2007, 05:53:17 AM
 I wouldn't trust this band anymore.

enough said right there!

January 10, 2007, 01:34:00 PM
As much as they have their ups and downs, the music they play in Stench of Redemption is a badass death metal album. Combining the brutal work of Jack owen and melodic santolla, the songs all are well done.

January 11, 2007, 12:38:18 PM

The only Deicide i really enjoyed was the first album, and the latest one. Scars Of The Crucifix was not only childish, but ridicuously simplistic and single minded, much like modern day Linkin Park if you take it from a neutral pespective. Bashing what you don't like and living in "a world of your own".
However it is still the songwriting that is TERRIBLE about Deicide. The first album had more varied products with delicate odd timings to add some ambiguousness to the track, yet the entire verse one, verse two, chorus and verse again doesn't work for death metal.

January 11, 2007, 12:44:04 PM

I have always stirred clear of later Deicide because everytone has told me it's best to do so, but still I won't say anything bad about the later music until I hear it.

That being said, you have to be able to understand why someone would be upset by this.  It's not like he was in Venom where the lyrics of Satan were not serious.  Glen Benton actually claimed to be serious.  

Maybe believing in Satan was his course toward finding a real religion.  People like that need something to believe in rather than accept the world for what it is.  You'd think someone who sang of the horrors of Earth would no better though.

Why get married in a Church then? Then have a practicing Christian play lead in your band? It's pbvious that Glen is a pile of shit, some of his philosophy is mentally stimulating although nothing more.

January 11, 2007, 12:46:12 PM
As much as they have their ups and downs, the music they play in Stench of Redemption is a badass death metal album. Combining the brutal work of Jack owen and melodic santolla, the songs all are well done.

Santolla has some great guitarwork on this album, although the drumming is a bit of a disappointment, songs such as The Lords Sedition and Crucified For The Innocence are reasonably good.

January 11, 2007, 06:36:23 PM
Hello!I live in Russia and  I speak English very bad ... but i know this group - they
were  headliners of metal fucken brutal fest 8 in Ivanovo (Russia) in november 2006
;D