Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Deicide

Re: Deicide
February 27, 2007, 06:09:14 AM

I would take legion anyday, Once Upon A Cross is one heck of a silly album which is made of corny riffing and fast drumming all packed into a neat package...definately not their best.
The only people who prefer this album are ones who are focused on the mainstream style of playing, just listen to the title track, intelligent? No, stupid? Very.

Those are the ones who would like Cannible Corpse ... and they do  
Da stopper rittet
Som varte i en livstid
For herren går (inn i slottet fra drømmen)

February 27, 2007, 11:20:32 AM
Those are the ones who would like Cannible Corpse ... and they do  

Thats probably it.

February 28, 2007, 06:56:47 AM
they're are plenty of other examples of bands that were once good and then released a more mainstream album which in most cases is worse.

Sepultura-Chaos AD
Emperor-Anthems to Welkin at Dusk
Metallica-the black album
At the Gates-Slaughter of the Soul
Carcass-Heartwork

To name a few. Its either a bid to win more popularity or simply because the style they were playing has become dried up. But in most cases they gain new fans that claim their later works were better than the earlier original style.
In a state of permanent Abyss

March 03, 2007, 05:42:27 AM
where are the Hoffman brothers , in which band

March 04, 2007, 03:33:18 PM
Amazon says June 9, 1992, but they're not always right.

One thing this article got right is that newer fans, those maybe twenty-five and younger, were not listening to metal when Deicide was putting out good music. They know Deicide only as crap like their recent album, Stench of Christian Analboylove and It Hurts, or whatever it's called.

Morbid Angel has the same stigma attached to them. I know young people who listen to Emperor and Dimmu, but scoff at the thought of listening to Deicide or Morbid Angel.

March 08, 2007, 02:07:19 AM
Morbid Angel has the same stigma attached to them.

Metal fans hate a sellout, but it's silly not to revisit older formative works. Emperor should not be left to rest with "IX Equilibrium" and their other works from the downlow years.

March 12, 2007, 03:30:03 PM
I agree, the albums should be remembered more so than the band. Because the band will always fuck up eventually.

March 16, 2007, 11:30:32 AM
I was 23 when "Legion" came out back in '92,  and I was a huge fan of their debut!  So with that much said, I was looking for a follow-up that would continue with the "Dead by Dawn" style of playing...and was I ever wrong with that assumption!  To be quite honest, I "HATED" Legion when it first came out, and just like Glen had said about its caliber at the time, it was way over the top.  Only a few years later after going back and digesting it, did I really start to appreciate it for what it was:  Pure genious!

March 18, 2007, 06:01:45 PM
Strange how in this world the best stuff is always the stuff only a few people "get." I didn't like Legion at first either, but it grew on me. Most people don't have the second part to that sentence.

March 18, 2007, 06:51:59 PM
There first album is much easier to get into, cos much of the material on there is almost catchy, but Legion takes a bit of work. I still can't decide whether i prefer the debut or legionn though. They are both good for different reasons.  

March 20, 2007, 10:05:16 PM
I still can't decide whether i prefer the debut or legionn though.

I can listen to Legion more than the debut, as well as Once Upon the Cross... but the debut is for special occasions.

March 20, 2007, 11:21:41 PM
where are the Hoffman brothers , in which band

According with http://www.metal-archives.com/ (AKA m3tal archives) "On November 25th, 2004 Glen Benton officially stated that the Hoffman brothers would no longer be in the band due to them cancelling and walking off many shows among other personal issues. Since then, the Hoffman brothers haven't started a new band."

I guess they're not playing in any band, otherwise it would be mentioned.

May 24, 2007, 10:35:42 PM
the debut album has a few interesting moments, it was typical "riff and run" death metal, honestly early Benediction does a better job.
self-improvement is for the weak.

May 25, 2007, 08:51:48 PM
I think I was one of the few who liked "Legion" right out of the gate, but it's not a bad thing that it took most people a while to get it. "Here in After" by Immolation is the same way, and it's also brilliant.

May 28, 2007, 07:38:31 PM
I think I was one of the few who liked "Legion" right out of the gate, but it's not a bad thing that it took most people a while to get it. "Here in After" by Immolation is the same way, and it's also brilliant.

All of the best books I've read I've detested at first, and then come to appreciate. It's like meeting them halfway, because I appreciate them on their own terms within my terms. Same thing is true of metal. When I first heard Deicide, I thought it was junk trash for morons. Over time it grew in my estimation and now it's one of the few metal bands I will listen to. I should clarify. Only Amon, Deicide, Legion and OUTC make the cut.