Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Deicide

Re: Deicide
June 05, 2007, 08:59:05 PM
Everyone I know picks Legion as their second or third favorite album by them which blows my mind. This is seriously the most intense death metal album ever.

June 06, 2007, 06:28:01 PM
Glenn is better off with Vital Remains.

June 17, 2007, 07:46:19 PM
Everyone I know picks Legion as their second or third favorite album by them which blows my mind. This is seriously the most intense death metal album ever.

Hell yeah! It's also the peak of Deicide, something they could never attain again, and only had for thirty minutes (sex on meth).

June 28, 2007, 04:15:31 PM
I had a listen The Stench of Redemption the other day.

I couldn't listen to all of the first song, so I went through all the tracks, placing the marker roughly a third and a two thirds into each song.

I went through the entire album once only.

Every single damn song on that bloody album, two thirds into each song, there's a solo. Right, each song almost all started the same but to have a solo roughly the same way through all of them? That's really taking the piss. What an embarrassment.

July 01, 2007, 03:59:24 AM
Deicide before Once Upon the Cross is mandatory.

Deicide after Serpents of the Light is horrific moronfeed.

Somehwere in the middle, some good music with disorganized outlook exists. I still like Once Upon the Cross but can see how even it pales before the other works of this band.

Divus_de_Mortuus

July 01, 2007, 06:52:43 AM
My view of Once Upon the Cross I sometimes think might be a bit different if a different band recorded it. I can appreciate a few songs on it here and there but compared to the previous album it is pretty clear that it is redneck chug influenced by Cannibal Corpse's T-shirt sales and popularity via simplified rock based, readily moshable riffs and an easily digestible bounce. If I wasn't aware of what Deicide were capable of I might relegate that album to the "slightly above average" category, but as it stands, no band proves the negative influence Cannibal Corpse had on metal like Deicide does. Once Upon the Cross deserves the same scathing reviews accorded to CC due to that album's role in advancing the atrophy of intelligence in Death Metal.

A phrase often abused here comes to mind when listening to that album: moron metal

July 01, 2007, 03:03:02 PM
I posted the same thing way back at the start of this thread, but it bears repeating:

"Once Upon the Cross" suffers because it is the first in a series of Deicide albums that is almost exclusively written by their drummer Steve Asheim, who estimates that he wrote 90% of the band's music between "Once..." and "Scars..."

As those albums seem to indicate, Asheim's simpleton approach to songwriting really only succeeded when his ideas took the form of a musical base, which would later be embellished and added-to by the ideas of others (specifically, the Hoffman brothers).

When the other musicians in the band got lazy and stopped adding their own input, Deicide's music began to reflect that same laziness.

Divus_de_Mortuus

July 01, 2007, 04:32:23 PM
Beyond that, I think it was a calculated move to get more fan support by making metal much easier to swallow.

July 05, 2007, 07:08:43 PM
When the other musicians in the band got lazy and stopped adding their own input, Deicide's music began to reflect that same laziness.

You mean that all subtlety and dynamics vanished? Yeah, that's a good point. They seemed to lose their impetus to do anything but fight each other after Legion. What a waste. Their new "music," doubly so.

July 07, 2007, 04:24:48 PM

That band is worthless, since when has something so unoriginal and so uninspiring become useful? Their song structures are mundane at best and Glens' voice develops from mediocre singing into a monotonous growl propelled by his already dimmed hatred for Christianity from previous Deicide albums.
The drummer can play like a mechanic, since when has that been an issue? Doc of Vader can do the same yet with a more powerful musical base supporting him.

July 09, 2007, 09:31:10 PM
...but as worthless as Deicide?....at this point...no.

July 10, 2007, 05:52:14 AM
I listened to Once Upon the Cross again, and I have to say, this is a great album. Albeit in the big moron metal style, but that didn't stop From Beyond or The Ten Commandments from being great metal albums, either... or for that matter, much of Slayer.

February 03, 2011, 04:25:28 PM
New Deicide leaked... it blows... continue with life.

ozz

February 04, 2011, 11:40:11 AM

That band is worthless, since when has something so unoriginal and so uninspiring become useful? Their song structures are mundane at best and Glens' voice develops from mediocre singing into a monotonous growl propelled by his already dimmed hatred for Christianity from previous Deicide albums.
The drummer can play like a mechanic, since when has that been an issue? Doc of Vader can do the same yet with a more powerful musical base supporting him.

I disagree.  I thoroughly enjoyed "Forever Underground" and Dave Suzuki is an undeniable musical genius.

The music can become monotonous (later releases) but the skill is there.

Just my opinion.

February 04, 2011, 12:28:00 PM
Skill counts for shit when it comes to composing.  I can compose for violin.  I can't play the violin.