Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Rob Darken: Hessian

Rob Darken: Hessian
February 25, 2012, 07:34:58 PM
After reading the inlay of the new Lord Wind, a friend of mine commented that Rob Darken has become the pre-eminent spokesperson for the metal community. I have to agree!

Here's why:

"The Past is as mysterious as the future. Compared to the power of the Universe a concept of time is just another illusion which a man takes as a guide in his life. Time is an illusion. At the present time man is more distant from the Truth than it was in the beginning. Mterialism replaces spirituality We limit ourselves basing our confidence in technology. It is a straight way to self destruction. From the beginning of our existence on earth we are losing our spiritual and supernatural abilitites in favour for materialism that destroys our planet. This process has a name -- it is called de--evolution. Light and wisdom of the Atlantean civilization still flows in us. It is in our blood and it becomes a force that is still able to inspire us to follow a different route...Openess to the spiritual dimensions of the Universe is the key to find harmony and save our planet from chaos. With this album I wanted to draw your attention to the things that man see's less and less despite they surround him. For me Ales Stenar is not only the pagan temple associated with the Vikings but most of all it represents the Temple of the Sun...pure message from the past, a guideline and indication that directs us on our spiritual journey to our roots that are enfolded with the fog of oblivion. Start this journey seek, do not be afraid to dream and to submit to your own imagination. In these days when greed triumphs and sincerity and sentimentality are trample, Solar Gods of Atlantis can show us the path to harmony. What is the most precious in us will survive. Death is not the end. A long way still awaits us. This way does not have to end. Time does not exist. There is no measure in the entire Universe that can determine the length of this road. We will exist as long as the Universe exists. The space in which we are now is only for the moment and this moment is so short that we are not able to understand the infinity and magnitude of the universe. Find spirituality in your life and you find the harmony. Let our album "Ales Stenar" although in small part inspire you to thid quest. Awake in you the desire for something deeper and supernatural..."

-Rob Darken-

(All awkward turns of phrase are his)

What are people's thought's on this?

NHA

Re: Rob Darken: Hessian
February 26, 2012, 03:19:20 AM
God; musicians are so full of shit.

Fudali started hanging out with Uli Jon Roth now i guess?

February 26, 2012, 06:05:17 AM
Is it the sentiment he expresses or the manner in which it is expressed that you dislike?

February 26, 2012, 02:31:03 PM
Darken will always be a true warbrother in my opinion. He's intelligent, and creates his art with real-life conviction. Not being able to sense the abstract or 'spiritual' aspect of the world is a symptom of the disease process of the modern age.

NHA

February 26, 2012, 03:54:45 PM
Is it the sentiment he expresses or the manner in which it is expressed that you dislike?

Pretty much everything except this block is masturbatory nonsense:
With this album I wanted to draw your attention to the things that man see's less and less despite they surround him. For me Ales Stenar is not only the pagan temple associated with the Vikings but most of all it represents the Temple of the Sun...pure message from the past, a guideline and indication that directs us on our spiritual journey to our roots that are enfolded with the fog of oblivion. Start this journey seek, do not be afraid to dream and to submit to your own imagination. In these days when greed triumphs and sincerity and sentimentality are trample, Solar Gods of Atlantis can show us the path to harmony. ... Find spirituality in your life and you find the harmony. Let our album "Ales Stenar" although in small part inspire you to thid quest. Awake in you the desire for something deeper and supernatural..."

February 26, 2012, 04:19:48 PM
Just my 2 cents but I always love these kind of grandiose statements from musicians and people in general.  Darken can say whatever he wants!  He walks the walk and talks the talk.

February 27, 2012, 04:00:08 AM
Agreed that Rob is one of the few that does what he says. I suppose those that question him, also need to be questioned, but we all know that most will be offended by such.

NHA

February 27, 2012, 05:43:50 PM
So you think his political/social/philosophical commentary is on par with the more influential people in those fields? Looks more like celebrity worship to me.

For instance, why should someone care about the texts Varg wrote? Hes just some kid that made a few good, but musically naive, albums before poking a few holes in some douchebag and going to jail. Would you let a car mechanic perform heart surgery on you?

I get the impression that people who try to make metal intellectual are misguided.

February 27, 2012, 09:42:11 PM
I never once believed metal NOT to be intellectual. This is just my life experience as to this matter.

February 27, 2012, 10:16:06 PM
So it is celebrity worship to take seriously the thoughts of a man who has no inluence in political/social philosophy (Darken)? Yet, it is not celebrity worship to take seriously the thoughts and ideas of someone simply because they are influential, but not neccessarily right (Marx)?

Rob Darken is a celebrity?

NHA

February 28, 2012, 02:14:40 AM
Rob Darken is a celebrity?

In metal circles. And even outside Rob LARPen is somewhat known. Either way he is notable enough to have groups of fanboys and groups of whiners who cry about him being a nazi that likes to kick puppies.

Yet, it is not celebrity worship to take seriously the thoughts and ideas of someone simply because they are influential, but not neccessarily right (Marx)?

No because their notoriety directly stems from the field in question. They are known precisely for the fact that their thoughts on the subject were at least somewhat relevant. Don't be brain-dead.

February 28, 2012, 03:27:14 AM
Just my 2 cents but I always love these kind of grandiose statements from musicians and people in general.  Darken can say whatever he wants!  He walks the walk and talks the talk.

Darken was the master of these Romantic statements.

He probably knows how to fight real well, too. I like Darken. Definitely like to have a beer with him.

February 28, 2012, 10:54:43 PM
So Rob Darken's statement are not relevant? Not even somewhat? I disagree, I think Rob's statements are relevant, although presented in a slightly sentimental manner. Is he an expert? Perhaps not, but that does not mean he has not discovered some inkling of truth. 

I get the feeling you just disagree with Darken, thats fine, but why are you so hostile to the people that agree, or see some relevance in what he is saying? Is it because he is not qualified to make such statements? If so, by what means could Darken become qualified?

February 28, 2012, 11:05:10 PM
I always believed that some one who is hostile in disagreeing with you needs to put up or shut up. No respect for those who can not respect, if we our to be a community of hessians. Yes, this is a little rant, but just me snapping some one's neck is lovely for me! ;)

February 29, 2012, 12:49:39 AM
The statement is like a speech a barbarian might give to his tribe, it's sort of childish, but so what?  I don't take it as some serious commentary but a rough-around-the-edges attempt to wax poetic.  We need this kind of thinking today.  Modern life is so goddamn boring and serious, we need to feel like we're part of a destiny.  We need a sense of mystery, poetry and childishness, not more analysis of what's going wrong.  I'll never forget what Nietzsche said, the lion is greater than the camel, but the naive child is greater than the lion.