Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

War metal

War metal
February 27, 2012, 02:41:18 PM
Despite it's popularity, war metal is a stupid trend and a stupid idea.

Take the melody out of black metal, use the same rhythms, and what you have is really fast punk music. Order From Chaos to me sounds like a faster version of the Cro-mags with metal vocals, and Revenge sounds like Siege on speed with manic drums.

I'd rather go listen to Insect Warfare. It is what it says it is.

My days of spending hours every week trying to find metal music may be over. There is just so little, and so much hype.

NHA

Re: War metal
February 27, 2012, 03:58:16 PM
Impiety is ok sometimes. It's debatable if they're blackmetal or warmetal though.

Impiety - Christfuckingchrist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11P0WQCFtbU

February 27, 2012, 07:47:38 PM

Take the melody out of black metal, use the same rhythms, and what you have is really fast punk music. Order From Chaos to me sounds like a faster version of the Cro-mags with metal vocals, and Revenge sounds like Siege on speed with manic drums.

That's the point. Grindcore + black metal. Doesn't work a lot of the time since most bands tend to focus on blasting in doing so and forget the dynamics of black metal are needed. OFC I wouldn't group into this category, they're something much different.

Not a stupid idea when done right though (Blasphemy, Conqueror, Truppensturm, etc). It's more complex than simple punk music. I don't get your band associations above, sounds like you just aren't a fan of the style.

February 28, 2012, 12:37:44 AM

Where is it trendy? Australia? Bands like Sacramentary Abolishment and other aforementioned bands pull off the Grindcore/Black Metal sound without being ridiculous. Bestial Warlust is pretty bad, and they do try and sell themselves as war metal, but I don't think they're all that popular, though perhaps I'm wrong. I'm thinking of trendy in metal as that new wave of nature worshiping black metal/emo/drone or whatever it is like krallice or Liturgy, which is really getting under my skin lately.

February 28, 2012, 03:12:36 AM
Sacramentary Abolishment and other aforementioned bands pull off the Grindcore/Black Metal sound without being ridiculous. Bestial Warlust is pretty bad, and they do try and sell themselves as war metal, but I don't think they're all that popular, though perhaps I'm wrong.

Sacramentary Abolishment is one I forgot to mention, glad you pointed it out. I've only heard "River of Corticone"; it's quite good.

BW is reasonably well known/popular, on this board, even. I myself like them, though I see why their barbaric idiocy might turn one off. I find it too energetic to pass up.

February 28, 2012, 07:59:22 AM

February 28, 2012, 01:59:04 PM
Black Witchery's second album is insufferably bad. As for the genre of war metal. I'd say it's reasonably popular, as in not very popular at all. I can count on one finger the number of people who I know that like war metal, and on two fingers the number of people I know who have any idea what war metal is. A lot of bands considered war metal are more hyper-marduks than anything like conqueror. Bands such as Impiety or Infernal War.

The focus is on pure aggression, it makes sense that the melodic development of black metal is somewhat lacking. Since when did we become sticklers of genre requirements?

February 28, 2012, 02:46:28 PM
You guys are like academics on a panel. Talk around the issue, get really tangential, then invent theories to justify it.

You haven't talked about the real point which is that war metal sucks. It's boring one note music that has nothing to recommend it except aggressive rhythm. That's not hard to do. It's easy for idiots to enjoy but it's not good or important. In fact it's really boring which is why black metal bands stopped doing this stupid shit long time ago.

War metal is like black metal's version of rap. All rhythm, stupid image, attracts fools based on its purported criminality.

February 28, 2012, 03:13:47 PM
You haven't talked about the real point which is that war metal sucks.

You haven't talked about the real point, which is approaching this topic subjectively and then scolding us when we don't agree with your viewpoint.

BM bands haven't stopped producing "war metal", for better or worse. Just look at a majority of the bands on NWN!

We get it, you don't like the style. There have been works in this style which have lasting value, not just to me but to people on this board and metal fans in general. It's not your thing. No need to be whiny about it.

February 28, 2012, 11:22:13 PM
Axis of Advance

Oh, you know, just some one-note music.

February 28, 2012, 11:37:18 PM
The Australian stuff like Bestial Warlust, Destroyer 666, Vomitor, and others sounds like what Sodom did on Persecution Mania, which is a sound that really can't be attributed to any of the current sub-genres. The evolution of the genre is almost like how Grey Wolves have begun mating with feral dogs in areas of their range that are threatened with extinction; it creates something that thrives and is much like the original, but is markedly different as a product of circumstance.  

Axis of Advance is one of those bands whose songwriting method is beyond me. It seems clattering and raw but the songs are very complete and consistent, especially on Strike.

February 28, 2012, 11:48:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFP19FUZMAA

This is good music. Simple but winding tremelo picked black/death passages and slower, doomier sections convey a sense of cold, merciless death on a vast, neverending battlefield. Booming demonic voices provide commentary from somewhere high above. This band successfully achieves its aim by evoking images of trench warfare, ruined landscapes and massive loss of life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dyq0WAPrPI

Filthy mess of rotten textures forced into simple melodies. A bunch of ugly ideas are introduced and then pursued to climax. No, this form of metal is not analogous to Romantic era classical music. But that's not the point. The point is that it successfully gives voice and appropriate form to the idea of ecstatic love of the 'magical' power of death, darkness and the world beyond humanity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-zA4M7CRs&feature=related

My favorite Cro-Mags cover-band.

analrapist - you're never going to succeed in convincing people that the music they listen to is "just noise". Isn't that what people have been telling you about the music you listen to for years? It makes more sense to criticize the ideas that inform a piece or style of music than it does to attack the form itself, sometimes. The form is not some kind of accidental thing that exists on its own.

February 29, 2012, 12:13:40 AM
Trying to define who IS war metal is in itself an endless debate.  Best possible candidates i can think of, of varying style would be :

Bolt Thrower
Truppensturm
Conqueror

I think what people are calling War Metal( ex. Black Witchery) is nothing more than the "mainstream" type  or the "Rap" of Black Metal, and I can't believe there was a brief moment in time I listened to this band...

February 29, 2012, 12:52:38 AM
I think what people are calling War Metal( ex. Black Witchery) is nothing more than the "mainstream" type  or the "Rap" of Black Metal, and I can't believe there was a brief moment in time I listened to this band...

Black Witchery isn't terrible. The trouble is that they aren't particularly good, either. They're a C band in a sub-genre already saturated with B and C bands.

February 29, 2012, 01:30:00 AM
Black Witchery's first album is easily a B/B-

It's all downhill after that.

I'll take the opportunity to show some love for Diocletian. HAIL AUDIBLE RIFFS!