Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

War metal

Re: War metal
February 29, 2012, 04:13:16 PM
Black Witchery may be A+ for all I care but it's boring music. There is no melody, no complexity. It doesn't really evoke anything except disorganized violence. Forgive me for saying this, but it's like a violent and atonal version of pop music. Rap is really violent and has no melody but it is sort of catchy the war war metal riffs are. Is war metal like just rapping on guitars? These bands may be good (they can play their instruments well enough) but they are very boring and pointless. It's OK if you really have nothing better to do I guess but I'd really rather mow the lawn than listen to war metal, it's about the same sound experience anyway.
but i'm not sure if i can tinkle in front of a crowd.

February 29, 2012, 04:18:00 PM
Black Witchery may be A+ for all I care but it's boring music.

Discussion is concluded here. I've said the same thing numerous times about Candlemass, Gorgoroth, Gorguts, early Dimmu Borgir, etc; it's good music but I don't enjoy it.

I've never thought Black Witchery was any good though. Maybe their side of the split with Conqueror is OK.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

February 29, 2012, 04:20:35 PM
Discussion is concluded here. I/quote]

I don't know why people feel the need to say things like this. Doesn't discussion conclude, when discussion concludes?
but i'm not sure if i can tinkle in front of a crowd.

February 29, 2012, 10:42:15 PM
I think all black metal has some element of war, but it is one of MANY elements of life and gets lame pretty quickly when that fact is not understood. Anyway my pick would be Blasphemy - Gods of War.

March 01, 2012, 01:00:16 AM
I don't know why people feel the need to say things like this. Doesn't discussion conclude, when discussion concludes?

There's nothing else left to discuss. You compared the sound to mowing your lawn, whereas I'd compare a band like Deicide to hearing a 12 year old shout "SATAN" for an hour straight.

I already touched on this point; you don't like the style, so any positive aspects it may have are lost on you because of your musical preferences. There's not much more to discuss without going in circles.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

July 14, 2012, 02:52:49 PM
Listen to Diocletian, faggoths.

July 14, 2012, 03:17:39 PM

Also, Heresiarch.  Keeping an eye on the forthcoming Lustration - Psymbolik, as well.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

July 14, 2012, 09:50:59 PM

Also, Heresiarch.  Keeping an eye on the forthcoming Lustration - Psymbolik, as well.

Gonna go ahead and second Heresiarch. I absolutely adore the EP they put out recently. At first I thought it was dull in its seemingly monotonous blasting, but upon closer listening this band is like a fusion of Incantation and Conqueror. The attitude that the drummer approaches his instrument is similar to J. Read.  They really do excel at those crawling doom passages as found in "Carnivore" and "Intransigent". I'm really looking forward to what else they can cook up. "Conflagration" is my personal highlight.

Lustration sounds really boring based on the samples I heard. Maybe they're a grower too?
No.

July 15, 2012, 12:31:24 AM

Also, Heresiarch.  Keeping an eye on the forthcoming Lustration - Psymbolik, as well.

Gonna go ahead and second Heresiarch. I absolutely adore the EP they put out recently. At first I thought it was dull in its seemingly monotonous blasting, but upon closer listening this band is like a fusion of Incantation and Conqueror. The attitude that the drummer approaches his instrument is similar to J. Read.  They really do excel at those crawling doom passages as found in "Carnivore" and "Intransigent". I'm really looking forward to what else they can cook up. "Conflagration" is my personal highlight.

Lustration sounds really boring based on the samples I heard. Maybe they're a grower too?

Yes, my thoughts exactly.  "Conflagration" is the highlight of the album.  Love the kvlt pick slides as well!  This EP also reminds me that sometimes less is more, and that sometimes an EP is better than an LP.  I'm thinking war metal, in general, might lend itself better to releases in the 20 - 30 minute range.  I know this band shares members with Diocletian and I frankly liked this more than either of their LPs.  I wonder sometimes if musicians almost "loosen up" in their secondary projects?  My memory of Diocletian is that it sounded labored at times, whereas this EP just sound like the band is, forgive the cliche, "having fun."

RE:  Lustration.  Haha, actually I haven't even heard the samples, yet, and didn't even know they existed 'til a few weeks ago!  But I do visit NWN, saw them mentioned, saw they shared members with Spear of Longinus, saw their album cover has a pyramid, the Sphinx, a UFO, and a cobra on it, and saw that their new album will sound like Beherit+Blasphemy+Sodom+Hellhammer+Bathory!  (Doesn't every band's new album!?)  Joking aside, figured I would mention them since they're form Australia, share members with SOL and play "warish" metal.  I will definitely give the album a try when it comes out in a few weeks and posted in audiofile.  We shall see...
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

July 15, 2012, 01:48:27 AM
I think relaxed is the word you are looking for. There's no pressure to meet a standard. More freedom and if it fails, it fails, no harm done.

Anyway, thank you for the hereiarch rec. This is top class stuff.
There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us

July 15, 2012, 03:40:49 AM
This is popular right now: Death Metal that courts Black Metal lyric and aesthetic but sounds like Incantation, and Black Metal that courts Death Metal lyric and aesthetic but sounds like noisy evil grind.

Sure that's an insectic, arguably loose observation, but I think it serves to point out that metal is confused right now, and here's two alternatives that have arisen that bare the torches of kvltdom. Like it or not, these two "happenings" will bridge the existence of underground metal into their next phases.
"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

July 20, 2012, 03:06:07 PM
This is popular right now: Death Metal that courts Black Metal lyric and aesthetic but sounds like Incantation, and Black Metal that courts Death Metal lyric and aesthetic but sounds like noisy evil grind.

Sure that's an insectic, arguably loose observation, but I think it serves to point out that metal is confused right now, and here's two alternatives that have arisen that bare the torches of kvltdom. Like it or not, these two "happenings" will bridge the existence of underground metal into their next phases.
Do you think it's correct to say that the new Demoncy is Black Metal that courts Death Metal?

July 20, 2012, 10:01:13 PM
The album that Canada's REVENGE just released is very good. MARTIRE also just released their first LP on the same label, NWN.
HE WHO REAPS STORMS, SOWS WINDS. HE WHO SOWS WINDS, REAPS STORMS.

"It is better to go to a house of mourning than to go to a house of feasting, for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart."
-Ecclesiastes 7:2

July 20, 2012, 11:11:50 PM

Do you think it's correct to say that the new Demoncy is Black Metal that courts Death Metal?

I think that's a very great observation. Demoncy to me has always been a conundrum. That riffing style, for all intensive purposes we can call it the *Profacantahej* style, is not necessarily patented to either genre. Incantation and Profanatica/Havohej riffs are so very similar, even sharing certain riffs that these concurrent acts offer both genres exploration into this singular interpretation of the metal guitar playing style. I think that beyond Incantation and Profanatica/Havohej,  the Black Metal genre explored the possibilities of this first, and Demoncy being a high profile exemplar of such. Also, as Wicked Warlock, Ixithra probably learned how to play in this signature style from ex-Incantationers.

I've spoken to John McEntee about this guitar playing style and he told me that when he committed to playing guitar, he was very influenced by Blasphemy.

I don't think there's an answer at the end of the day... just a cool style of guitar playing and composition.
"I hung there on a cross as you are hanging, and I lived, thanks to circumstances and a stamina peculiar to barbarians. But you civilised men are soft; your lives are not nailed to your spines as are ours. Your fortitude consists mainly in inflicting torment, not in enduring it. You will be dead before sundown." - REH

July 25, 2012, 02:09:37 PM
I'm guessing the world will get increasingly messed up in the coming eras and that the transcendental/dissident genres of death metal and black metal will amalgamate into a stripped down, folkier version of its historical highlights. Until then, yes metal is very confused, searching for meaning in all the wrong places; thus no good releases these days.