Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Atheists now dumber than religious people

Re: Atheists now dumber than religious people
February 29, 2012, 01:33:43 PM
istaros if you have had an awakening of sorts yourself you should know that these realizations can only come from within.

Atheism's surface is disbelief in dieties, but those dieties were never empty things. They represent the real and transcendent and the fruits of their absence are plain to see. In the absence of the most high, only shitty old "me" exists. Distrust and disrespect of authority goes hand in hand with atheism for a reason. It's no blind assumption, it all follows plainly enough.

February 29, 2012, 02:12:26 PM
Distrust and disrespect of authority

That's a good quality. Most of our "leaders" are attention-whores, charlatans, or not much more supreme than the average Joe.

February 29, 2012, 02:51:21 PM
Atheists are like toasters who decide they would do better not being plugged in to the wall socket.
What is left? Physical appearance. All functionality is gone.

Not necessarily since matter can have organization without requiring the supernatural. The explanation is probably simpler than we think.

I don't understand why anyone would choose to be an atheist and make a mission out of that.

It's obvious now that the biggest threat to us as individuals is the trends in politics, and those aren't the fault of religion. In fact most of them come from the really modern people who want no god, no culture, no sex roles, or anything else that evolved over tens of thousands of ideas. That's arrogant and hubris.

It's clear however that modern atheists are just people looking for a role in which they seem intelligent and in control. It's like being in Mensa for dummies.

February 29, 2012, 04:52:14 PM
Haha :)
Mensa for dummies! That's a great line.
Anyway, there are a million ways to skin a cat. "Religious people" are rarely Christians, and vice-versa.
There is, undeniably, to anyone able to detect it, a power-source that is omnipresent.
"God" is a poor description for it. Too much baggage associated with that term.
But the power exists. It is beyond foolish to reject it, out of hand.
It is what puts the life in "life".

What amazes me is that, even though it costs nothing to accept the notion of a Divinity, when there is always the possibility of there being so much to gain, by doing so, why there are so many people who simply reject that possibility, thus ensuring they will never profit by it.
Not that profit is a good reason. But it is a very human one.

Your average atheist seems to imagine that cynical debate, conflict, and winning, at any cost, is the entire reason for being alive, at all.
Some are very intelligent, for all the good it appears to do them.
But life isn't about IQ. Or verbal facility.
Life is about living.

February 29, 2012, 05:35:49 PM
Anyway, there are a million ways to skin a cat. "Religious people" are rarely Christians

Nope: http://www.bible.ca/global-religion-statistics-world-christian-encyclopedia.htm

There is, undeniably, to anyone able to detect it, a power-source that is omnipresent.

Which is why I disregard popular religion as a whole (I don't practice it for personal reasons, namely that it's boring--that's subjective though).

What amazes me is that, even though it costs nothing to accept the notion of a Divinity, when there is always the possibility of there being so much to gain, by doing so, why there are so many people who simply reject that possibility, thus ensuring they will never profit by it.
Not that profit is a good reason. But it is a very human one.

What is this "profit"?

Life is about living.

Agreed, though for me, that doesn't include religion, religious belief, or whatever you want to call it. I think some people on this forum can't accept that "living" is pretty subjective.

February 29, 2012, 10:17:46 PM
@istaros:  the creator of 300 is Frank Miller - a pretty ardent right-winger as it turns out.  I'm actually fairly well versed in comic books and super heroes - they're a very overlooked window into our culture.  And I know exactly what you're talking about:  innocence, purity, naivete, - these things are scoffed at and laughed at in our culture.  The slave revolt of values is totally and utterly resentful and bitter.

March 01, 2012, 01:00:22 AM
I think some people on this forum can't accept that "living" is pretty subjective.

The living know what living is.
Those that aren't sure, refer to it as subjective.
One may be alive, but is one "living"?
I had always suspected there must be more to life than I was able to detect, and made a career out of discovering what I might be missing.
Sure enough, there was. In spades. But the path to discovery was far longer, and more arduous, than the majority of people are willing to undertake.
Nothing worthwhile is achieved without undertaking to achieve it.
But those who never do, can never know that.

March 01, 2012, 04:47:56 PM
If you the kind of atheist that says all of religion is stupidity and that god is a delusion, like Dawkins, then to me this is idiotic.

If you just do not believe in the divine that is OK.

Now about the superheroes:

Batman was never corrupted. What frank miller did in The Dark Knight was just a more adult version, but the batman was still good and fighting for justice. SPOILER ALERT just because he killed the joker, a mass murdering maniac that was admited into a clinic to be cured and as retribution tricked everyone saying he was done with killing and then killed some more, it does not mean he was transformed in an anti-hero. The joker had it coming, and so did the Mutant Leader. The purpose of batman was still to defend the people.

In the movie the dark knight he was even more pure: He refused to kill the joker.

March 01, 2012, 05:03:46 PM
If you just do not believe in the divine that is OK.

[typicalANUSsperg]No, cuz like, that would stomp on tradional values, bro [/typicalANUSsperg]

I had always suspected there must be more to life than I was able to detect, and made a career out of discovering what I might be missing.
Sure enough, there was.

Do you understand how stupid you sound? You cannot detect it, yet you can suspect it's there? Face it, you are trying your best to rationalize whatever your belief system is. Don't tell me or anyone else that your view is somehow objective.

March 01, 2012, 05:23:48 PM

Do you understand how stupid you sound? You cannot detect it, yet you can suspect it's there? Face it, you are trying your best to rationalize whatever your belief system is. Don't tell me or anyone else that your view is somehow objective.

I don't worry about 'sounding stupid'. I am comfortable with my extreme lack of stupidity, and I have no control over how I may sound to others.
I said that I was aware that I might not know something. So I - being me - set out to learn what I might not know.
I realize that this ability is quite rare.
Most people assume that if they don't already know something, then it can not be worth knowing.
Wisdom often 'sounds stupid' to the unwise.
It's all about simplicity, which is why it so often gets overlooked, by people who equate complexity with knowledge.

March 01, 2012, 05:27:06 PM

I don't worry about 'sounding stupid'. I am comfortable with my extreme lack of stupidity, and I have no control over how I may sound to others.
I said that I was aware that I might not know something. So I - being me - set out to learn what I might not know.
I realize that this ability is quite rare.
Most people assume that if they don't already know something, then it can not be worth knowing.
Wisdom often 'sounds stupid' to the unwise.
It's all about simplicity, which is why it so often gets overlooked, by people who equate complexity with knowledge.

Well, whatever works for you...

March 01, 2012, 06:34:29 PM
That's a very maganimous reply (:>

March 01, 2012, 10:40:30 PM
Now about the superheroes:

Batman was never corrupted. What frank miller did in The Dark Knight was just a more adult version, but the batman was still good and fighting for justice. SPOILER ALERT just because he killed the joker, a mass murdering maniac that was admited into a clinic to be cured and as retribution tricked everyone saying he was done with killing and then killed some more, it does not mean he was transformed in an anti-hero. The joker had it coming, and so did the Mutant Leader. The purpose of batman was still to defend the people.

You're right about The Dark Knight.  I have no idea what's really going on in the comic book world over the past 5 years or more, but the general point is that in the late 70s and early 80s, comics started getting more "gritty" and violent.  Heroes had drug addictions and this sort of thing.  DC comics came out with their Vertigo imprint which was Mature readers only.  Anyway, like metal, comic books are 99% crap and 1% interesting.

@ Spectrum:  I think you could make your points without using words like "stupid" and dismissive lines like "whatever works for you, man."  By all means, debate, but I cringe when I come here and read silly things like that.  It's an etiquette thing.

NHA

March 02, 2012, 12:31:16 AM
The whole Batman not wanting to kill deal is kind of interesting. It goes against any natural impulse you would have in most of the situations he gets put in but if he kills it would unravel the entire foundation of his being. Watching the murder of his family was the defining moment in his life. If he murders he becomes exactly what he exists to oppose because the loss of his family was a subjective experience separate from any underlying moral context surrounding the murders - even if the murder of his parents would have been considered moral it would have fucked him up all the same. He lives for vengeance but can never take the steps to satisfy it due to the nature of his pathos. The whole thing creates this recursively linked relational mindfuck of interdependence that binds several of the characters together.

March 02, 2012, 01:25:41 AM
Wow. And here I was thinking Batman was a virtuous simpleton.
He could benefit from counseling, don't you think?
Or psychotherapy of some sort.