Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Coroner and Tech-Thrash

Coroner and Tech-Thrash
February 28, 2012, 09:56:52 PM
What are the feelings here on the band Coroner of Switzerland?

Also Technical thrash from bands like Coroner and Obliveon seems to be the genre best fitting intellectual styled lyrics. This stuff, especially material from "From This Day Forward" era Obliveon and late 1980's/early 90's Coroner, seems to be very consistent in it's approach; more complexity in song writing over standard thrash equates here with intellectual lyrics.

Re: Coroner and Tech-Thrash
February 28, 2012, 11:09:00 PM
Coroner's early stuff is pretty neat, but gets old fast for me. I almost always go directly to Helstar after becoming bored of them.

Obliveon's From this Day Forward is fucking excellent, and seems more like death metal(a mix of Sepultura's style on Beneath the Remains and a bunch of Voivod). I haven't heard Nemesis though.

Bands that I've seen labeled technical "thrash"(definitely speed metal tho lol) that I've enjoyed in small doses are Sadus(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ7df4tywZo) and Aspid(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDroZ2sVPDQ) who, like Coroner, don't take very long to become totally grating.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

February 29, 2012, 12:51:54 AM
Nemesis is solid.  I'd give it a listen.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

February 29, 2012, 04:09:49 PM
The problem with technical music is that the technical always eclipses music. I know it's a cliche but the desire to write songs gets buried under the desire to play around with music theory. There just aren't songs there, but experiments in dissonance or polyrythym. When I graduated high school people stopped worshipping technical bands like Rush, Dream Theatre and all tech death. It just no longer has any relevance because it all sounds the same once youve heard enough of it.
but i'm not sure if i can tinkle in front of a crowd.

March 01, 2012, 05:09:24 PM
Punishment For Decadence is great. Easily Coroner's finest moment.

RIP and No More Color are also good, the latter a bit more than the former.

Grin and Mental Vortex suck hard.

For Obliveon, I like From this Day Forward, but Nemesis was a weak follow-up. I never listen to it.

Voivod is also great from their beginning up to The Outer Limits (minus Angel Rat -- that one sucked).

The first Watchtower album, Energetic Disassembly, also deserves mention. Just avoid their second one (Control and Resistance), which was basically them moving away from speed metal and becoming typical lame "tech prog."

March 01, 2012, 05:16:44 PM
The problem with technical music is that the technical always eclipses music. I know it's a cliche but the desire to write songs gets buried under the desire to play around with music theory. There just aren't songs there, but experiments in dissonance or polyrythym. When I graduated high school people stopped worshipping technical bands like Rush, Dream Theatre and all tech death. It just no longer has any relevance because it all sounds the same once youve heard enough of it.

Your statement is correct for Rush and Dream Theater and 99% of the tech crap that's put out today.

But I think the bands I mentioned put out great songs that just happened have a little more technique than the average metal band. Coroner, especially, was always about RIFFS and HEADBANGING, primarily. At least, until they went to shit on Mental Vortex and started playing music more like ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME?