Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Dragons exist(ed)!

Dragons exist(ed)!
March 02, 2012, 01:31:38 AM
120-Million-Year-Old ‘Ghost Dragon’ Pterosaur Discovered in China

Paleontologists in northeast China have discovered a wildly snaggle-toothed skull that belonged to a previously unknown, 120-million-year-old flying reptile.

Named Guidraco venator, which is Chinese and Latin for “ghost dragon hunter,” the meat-eating pterosaur had a wingspan of between 13 and 16 feet. The basket of pointy teeth at the end of its foot-long skull probably helped it catch fish, and a round sail on its head may have stabilized flight.

“This is really an amazing fossil, but the funny thing to me is that it was found in Asia. It looks very similar but not identical to pterosaurs found in Brazil,” said Eberhard “Dino” Frey, a paleontologist at the State Museum of Natural History in Karlsruhe. Frey was not involved in the work, published online Feb. 22 in Naturwissenschaften.

The closest relative to G. venator may be a fossil Frey and his colleagues recovered in 2003, called Ludodactylus sibbicki, adding further evidence that now 40 known species of pterosaurs were more globally distributed than previously thought. “The longer we search, the more of these animals turn up,” Frey said.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/02/guidraco-flying-dinosaur/

Re: Dragons exist(ed)!
March 02, 2012, 01:37:45 AM
That's encouraging. There's nothing like dragons. And gryphons.
Maybe Saint George really did do what legend says he did.
I've always revered dragons.

March 02, 2012, 06:09:15 AM
Have any of you guys read Eragon? It's about a dude with a telepathic connection with his intelligent dragon partner.  It really captivated my imagination as a kid.

March 02, 2012, 08:44:48 AM
Have any of you guys read Eragon? It's about a dude with a telepathic connection with his intelligent dragon partner.  It really captivated my imagination as a kid.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/

March 02, 2012, 02:51:45 PM
This is really fascinating. Dinosaurs always captured my imagination as a child. They still do, it seems. Always great fun learning about them.

March 02, 2012, 05:13:41 PM
SMAUG

March 03, 2012, 06:44:20 AM
Pffft, didn't even breath fire.

March 03, 2012, 08:06:00 AM
I'd be more elated if they were found resting atop a mountain of gold inside of a literal mountain and exposed to the world because a small man with large hairy feet was trying to steal something from them.

Get your black arrows ready hessian army, we have long extinct dragons to slay!

March 04, 2012, 04:30:46 AM
I'd be more elated if they were found resting atop a mountain of gold inside of a literal mountain and exposed to the world because a small man with large hairy feet was trying to steal something from them.

Get your black arrows ready hessian army, we have long extinct dragons to slay!

+1