Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Demoncy - Enthroned is the Night

March 06, 2012, 06:33:03 PM
After my time in the gym, I come home to find the new cd of Demoncy(as well as a Graveland "In the Glare of the Burning Churches" t-shirt), so I will report in once I give it a spin. Great packaging and I believe this was worth the wait!

Re: Demoncy Enthroned is the Night
March 08, 2012, 12:46:55 AM
Forever Plagued Records?

I just ordered the two Graveland CDs from them (Celtic Winter and In the Glare...). Fast delivery and good packaging.

March 08, 2012, 03:25:07 PM
Yes, Forever Plagued Records is great quality store!

March 09, 2012, 04:18:03 AM
Just downloaded this. I will be buying it as well.

Short review:

This punchy CD is a lot like Empire of the Fallen Angel done up in Joined in Darkness style. It attempts to be more "musical" and less pure chromatic than JID, which is probably Demoncy's peak, and its lengthier single-string riffs call to mind what Profanatica did with Profanatita de Domonatia. Its weakness is that its patterns are sometimes too obvious, being built on basic harmony and two-part riffs in which the second is an obvious complement to the first. However, over repeated listens these deficiencies fade to the background. There's a lot more classic death metal in this as well, giving it a voice of its own that is pure dark evil stuff that rushes at you and then melody comes out of it. As a result, it's ahead of the pure rhythm department bands like Angelcorpse or Grave, although many of its riffs resemble those as well. Drumming may be slightly overstated. Vocals are evil as always and production seems good, capturing the spacious emptiness and yet filling it with roaring sound. Better than almost anything released over these last two years, and while not perhaps on par with JID, very little is and JID II would make us all feel queasy like hookers given free blow in exchange for a buddy hook-up. I look forward to listening to this even more, which for me is a total rarity with any metal discs at this late date for the moribund and decomposing genre.

Edit: Update. Oddly this reminds me a lot of early Unleashed.

March 09, 2012, 06:52:19 AM
Edit: Update. Oddly this reminds me a lot of early Unleashed.
Not odd at all; the harmonization techniques are pure Swedish metal.

My copy came in the mail today.  Aside from complaints about the packaging (so, we have a giant cardboard sleeve to hold another cardboard sleeve?  WTF), it'll take more listens to say anything useful about it.  It's definitely not Joined in Darkness part 2, and it's definitely a more overtly musical Demoncy.

March 09, 2012, 08:42:26 PM
I have always enjoyed Demoncy, and this is not different from this new effort.

I played this straight through my speakers and the bass was very punchy despite have the bass eq turned to nil.

No, we can never expect another Joined in Darkness, nor shall we. Simply his darkest creations and where he decides to take us is all that matters.

March 09, 2012, 08:46:26 PM
I don't think it is any better or worse than joined in darkness. The objectives seem different for both albums. That being said, my only complaint is the abrupt ending to the album. As a result, it does not feel complete as a whole.

March 10, 2012, 01:34:54 AM
I'm enjoying this new album overall but there are a few obvious detractions. To start with it's certainly not as direct as Joined in Darkness and the later part of the album loses a bit of definition. Joined in Darkness thrives on simplicity (a bit like Transylvanian Hunger meets Profanatica), the simple riffs are supported by simple pump beat drumming and mostly it's only in so far as necessary, whereas the continual stream of drumming found on Enthroned is the Night would be useful in supporting more complex melodic content which the album doesn't really have, besides that there's less variety of tempos and 'doom' sounding riffs to help carry the content through each song. However certain aspects of the vocal/riff phrasing are extremely effective and there's a great sense of 'journey' as oppose to primitve blasting evil in some of the songs. The roaring low-frequency production aesthetic is also refined to fit the compositional content perfectly. Overall, it's easily one of the best metal albums in a long time.

March 10, 2012, 03:08:07 AM

True, but the riffs have a similar rhythmic sensibility, although sometimes at 2x speed. I've been describing it to people as sounding like newer Profanatica crossed with old Unleashed. In that light, the beauty of this album emerges. It's fucking death metal to the core.

In particular, the title track rips a riff from Shadows in the Deep. Land of Ice?

March 12, 2012, 09:32:38 PM

True, but the riffs have a similar rhythmic sensibility, although sometimes at 2x speed. I've been describing it to people as sounding like newer Profanatica crossed with old Unleashed. In that light, the beauty of this album emerges. It's fucking death metal to the core.

In particular, the title track rips a riff from Shadows in the Deep. Land of Ice?

Yes, it's Land of Ice.  Listened today to confirm it.

Enthroned is the Night = success.  Less challenging than JiD but as Cynical, says, more musical.

March 15, 2012, 06:09:11 PM
This is a great album, and yes, it certainly is approaching melody and structure from quite a different angle in comparison to "Joined In Darkness."  I'm going to make this a listening priority once I get some quality headphones, for sure - I like the production on this one.

March 18, 2012, 01:42:25 PM
It's far more musical than your average black/death metal but still retains the primitive energy. I think this one is going to conquer.

EDIT:

Re: Demoncy - Enthroned is the Night
March 21, 2012, 12:23:16 AM
Many other types of music emphasize pleasing textures and simple patterns in order to spoon feed listeners a readily digested tune to ultimately just sell copies of itself to audiences. Underground metal has its massive presence when played but it isn't at all intent upon appeal or invitation, as if indifferent to listeners and instead purely focused on majestic evocations.

Unlike popular tunes, this magic isn't the proficient use of instruments or charming appeal but instead what is summoned for us from their use which is significantly more than the sum of just chord, beat and some words to remember come karaoke night at the bar.

The prominent chordal topography in sincere metal defies conventional spatial concepts, yet somehow a shifting and renewing terrain emerges nonetheless. The initiated know this terrain well but everyone else is, as they explain, stuck right at the difficult instrumental textures. Not many can listen to compile torturous input into a magnificent geometry of winding stairsteps, a bristling bouquet of steel wires to paraphrase a reviewer here, or what have you.

March 21, 2012, 12:31:56 PM
This is on par with the best output from the '80s and early '90s.  This and Engram are the only massive breakthroughs in Metal for the past 15 years (or more), and yet I don't believe many are going to try and explore the revealed depths.

March 22, 2012, 01:25:47 AM
This is on par with the best output from the '80s and early '90s.  This and Engram

Total worship.

I also recommend the BLASPHERIAN. Simpler but good for fans of CEREBRAL FIX, OBITUARY, later INCANTATION and early IMMOLATION.