Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Demoncy - Enthroned is the Night

Re: Demoncy - Enthroned is the Night
March 22, 2012, 01:42:53 AM
After spinning this a few times, I like it a lot!

Two small complaints:

1) Not enough variance in the vocal department. Demoncy's always had great vocals, and they're still great, but they get monotonous. Would've liked him to mix it up a bit like he did on "Within the Sylvan Realms".

2) The blasting. It becomes monotonous in some areas. Demoncy's percussion was always pretty inventive, and I feel it's a bit too same-y here. It doesn't have that ambient feeling like "Joined In Darkness" so the monotony of the drumming can be tiresome.

Other than that, I really enjoy it.

March 22, 2012, 04:35:08 PM
I agree the drumming may be overactive, and not just the blasting. I liked the more robotic style on Joined in Darkness, although I never thought I'd say that.

March 22, 2012, 04:49:46 PM
I actually have only spun this a few times, and I will have the urge to spin this again and really give it a listen. I enjoyed this falling asleep.

March 23, 2012, 01:13:40 AM
I pretty much listened to this non-stop for the first week and it is awesome. The drumming is almost a shift towards de-centralising rhythm, whereas Joined in Darkness is shaped around a continual pulse, this can almost be likened to the style of the 2nd and 3rd Immortal albums.

March 23, 2012, 02:26:55 AM
I agree, it's much more like thrash drumming than death metal drumming.

March 23, 2012, 05:33:16 PM
This is acceptable.

Edit: Upon further review, this is more than acceptable and is up to par with Engram.

March 24, 2012, 11:46:35 PM
It joins the list of about 10 CDs from the past 5 years that are really good, and not just passable-but-derivative (NWN fans) or passable-but-not-metal (metalcore fans).

March 30, 2012, 01:53:37 AM
This album is great but not what I was expecting. The re-recording of "The Ode To Eternal Darkness" was awesome and I was hoping for something more like that. Something more Dionysian, I guess.

March 30, 2012, 02:54:32 AM
This album is great but not what I was expecting. The re-recording of "The Ode To Eternal Darkness" was awesome and I was hoping for something more like that. Something more Dionysian, I guess.

Do you mean the version from "Empire of the Fallen Angel"? If so, I agree, that version is superior, even though that album itself was meh overall.

March 30, 2012, 03:04:39 AM
haven't listened to the album actively yet, just passively. Judging by the comments, I should quite enjoy it.

March 30, 2012, 03:07:53 AM

Do you mean the version from "Empire of the Fallen Angel"? If so, I agree, that version is superior, even though that album itself was meh overall.

I was referring to this version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXnuZQ369fc

The album version is good too but this version's production adds ethereal quality that really hit me. My favorite black metal song. It's a good hurrrah for the genre.

March 30, 2012, 01:08:26 PM
A couple of back to back spins in and

1. Holy shit. 666

2. I am definitely hearing the Profanatica Profanatitas De Domonatia similarities. And like Profanatica...

3. I don't care what anyone says, this shit is Death Metal. -|-

This is great, I don't deny that. However I think we're all getting ahead of ourselves with the "this is one of the best new developments in 15 years" talk. This is no different than Necros Christos or another highly ranked band out these days in that they're synthesizing this completely within established compositional and aesthetic frameworks. I should pretext this by saying I don't know shit about music beyond what a pure listener can tell, and I can't play much more than a few songs and scales on a keyboard so sometimes I feel like I am missing the depth in metal by not having a more finite understanding of the building blocks they're using underneath. Still, this is about as good as stuff from the golden age. But I hold that Necros Christos, Goreaphobia, Disma and a few other releases here and there can be fit into that same grouping.

Satan hath already given us two blessings this year with this and the Impiety release.

Re: 666
March 30, 2012, 01:12:03 PM
This is no different than Necros Christos or another highly ranked band out these days in that they're synthesizing this completely within established compositional and aesthetic frameworks.

Necros Christos isn't this good. Style is not as important as substance. Substance is what's lacking in the NWN bands...

Re: 666
March 30, 2012, 01:58:42 PM
This is no different than Necros Christos or another highly ranked band out these days in that they're synthesizing this completely within established compositional and aesthetic frameworks.

Necros Christos isn't this good. Style is not as important as substance. Substance is what's lacking in the NWN bands...

I understand the difference between style and substance. And both bands have substance crafted within well defined genres which have been explored to most of their known limits. I have no doubt the consensus will be this is better. Curiously, which bands are we specifically talking about, because I've barely heard of most of the NWN's current listed roster.