Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

IPO bowtie

IPO bowtie
March 08, 2012, 04:44:38 AM
Input, processing and output take on a bowtie or butterfly form. One or more, typically many inputs or methods flow in to the goal stage where this information/effort is processed and compiled. The last stage are all of the effects that manifest as a result very much like an output.

In some cases, rudimentary comp sci essentials can give us a broad working model for how things generally work out in life. Garbage out because of garbage in does not necessarily apply if the processing stage is bulletproofed with filters, checks and safeguards.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

Re: IPO bowtie
March 08, 2012, 10:18:25 AM
"Rudimentary comp sci essentials" are systems theory and knowing how to write good algorithms.  Possibly the most useful basic "science" one could learn (the abilities to understand data/information flow, structurally, and to promptly invent, order, and streamline solutions to problems).

March 08, 2012, 01:43:40 PM
Being someone who models natural systems, I have no idea what the hell I just read.

Garbage in = garbage out. It's up to the modeller to determine whether the results are meaningful.

NHA

March 08, 2012, 02:22:02 PM
Random Garbage -> Genetic Algorithm (Stochastic optimization) -> Structured output that meets arbitrary fitness threshold.

Sparkling play-dough -> star cookie cutter -> I'm fabulous.

March 08, 2012, 09:22:51 PM
I would say the knot in the middle is the closed system structure at the processing phase. The input(s) is an open configuration structure as is the output phase.

Goal: post a reply

phase 1
Think of a web page form with many data fields and submit button, or post and preview like this reply form. Anyone can visit, click buttons and type copious heaps of garbage in the data fields. Some of the inputs into the web server app are invisible from the end user perspective, or are default inputs that need not be part of the data entry for each submission. Your unique session ID and user name are part of this.

phase 2
Receive data from user, filter any garbage, apply document formatting, write to database as archive for any future requests. Goal attained.

phase 3
Send formatted web page back to original user indicating success. As with the left side, random stuff happens here on the right side of the bowtie knot, also an open configuration structure. Other users react or ignore, original poster sees an error then plans an edit, trolled moderator ragedeletes or yawns, etc.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793