Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Girl removed from school due to an essay that her teachers didn't get

http://www.blackeconomicdevelopment.com/13-year-old-jada-williams-persecuted-over-her-essay-on-frederick-douglass/

Jada Williams, a 13-year old student in Rochester, New York, wrote an essay comparing and contrasting her school experience in 2012 to the educational challenges described in “The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass“.

Miss Williams personalized this to her own situation.  She reflected on how the “white teachers” do not have enough control of the classroom to successfully teach the minority students in Rochester.  While she herself is more literate than most, due to her own perseverance and diligence, she sees the fact that so many of the other “so-called ‘unteachable’” students aren’t learning to read as a form of modern-day slavery.  Their illiteracy holds them back in society.

Remarkable how this young person has really struck a chord of truth here. She's reasonably bright for her age, so what do they do? Throw her in a school for "troublemakers". Guess her intelligence was too much of a threat to everyone's feelings.

NHA

Public school is garbage in the U.S. no surprise there. As far as i can tell it only exists to create obedient workers. It's pretty clear they place more of an emphasis on showing up on time and following the rules than learning anything.

I failed a computer literacy test needed to opt out of a class despite knowing like 6 programming languages at the time. I'm pretty sure the teacher just trashed my paper after i handed it in lol.

I managed to achieve the top score ever, at my school, for my GCE English examination essay.
You would imagine that congratulations might be in order.
But no.
I was hauled up before the Headmaster, and accused of 'cheating'.
End of any interest in academic achievement.

I didn't realize it then, but I was from 'the wrong side of the tracks'.
You just couldn't have poor kids out-writing the rich ones.
Now, of course, it would be the other way around :)