Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

How to survive as an antisocial metalhead

Re: How to survive as an antisocial metalhead
March 26, 2012, 09:17:04 AM
Or speak out against/destroy it?

I'll pick this one. If you don't fight back, it takes over, because there are more people who cannot tell the difference between a turd and a hamburger than there are who know a good hamburger at first sniff.

Most people believe that the music that gets played on the radio, is being played on the radio because its legitimately the best that music has to offer and that theres no need to look deeper or discover what else is out there. Even loads of metallers think like this, that Heavy Metal hit some sort of creative musical slump in the 90s and its only been from 2000 that metal has got its mojo back. Shit, Kerry King even said he hates death metal, see I find it hard to believe he's heard everything that's on offer to allow him to make such a sweeping statement about bands that in most cases were heavily influenced by his band. Even just Death Metal alone, just as a sub genre by its self is so diverse and intricate that to say shit like that about the music makes you a massive knob and an enemy of creatively and Heavy Metal.
People, Metallers!!!!! think that the flag of metal was being held high by grunge, goths, nu-metaller and emos, that they were the cutting edge of that Heavy Metal had to offer. Just Death Metal on its own in the 90s but out works of brutal art but because it was underground and didn't make the bands the same sort of money that thrash made in the 80s they ignore it, put it down like its worthless.

To the Kerry King point, I think it is hard for us to place ourselves in the shoes of a creator of an artistic movement in terms of how followers are then judged. Maybe he hates it because of the influence? Maybe he doesn't even realize it. I think Jeff is more open to later forms of extreme metal.

March 26, 2012, 09:32:48 AM
Then you say nothing, if you dont know what your talking about (he thinks he does)then  you dont get a say, its irresponsible for him to condem death metal and put off his fanbase from exploring and listening to some of the best metal that heavy metal has ever put out. My point is even the people that we take for granted that they see metal in the grander picture are just as closed minded as people who think all metal is one noise.

March 26, 2012, 09:58:13 AM
Then you say nothing, if you dont know what your talking about (he thinks he does)then  you dont get a say, its irresponsible for him to condem death metal and put off his fanbase from exploring and listening to some of the best metal that heavy metal has ever put out. My point is even the people that we take for granted that they see metal in the grander picture are just as closed minded as people who think all metal is one noise.

His allegiance is to the 80s school. I can understand how he has come to that point. Close minded to heretical doctrines that evolved after his. We've seen that behavior before in humans I think.

March 26, 2012, 10:28:46 AM
His allegiance is to the 80s school. I can understand how he has come to that point. Close minded to heretical doctrines that evolved after his. We've seen that behavior before in humans I think.

I can understand that, i give doom and power metallers fucking of dogs abuse. But i know no matter how much i find doom metal to be boring and power metal to be very silly that if I looked long and hard enough (and smoked loads of green) that theres a good chances ill find a band or an album from any genre in metal that iil like, thats done in away that appeals and make sence to me.

You could say"i hate Cannibal Corpse, its just mindless grrr grrr, i dont hear any music" but then to also say the same about early old school european death metal shows most of they dont have a clue.

March 26, 2012, 08:11:41 PM
Doom metal rules, though I have different motivations often for listening to it. I admit it is more of a rock oriented experience. And I'm fine with that. I can forgive bands walk paths already walked more easily because of it at well. Power metal is good as an ideal, but rarely can I find a band that fulfills it without going gay on half the albums tracks. Falconer is a great band in the style.

March 26, 2012, 09:07:21 PM
I would stick with some far older: tradition itself.

Live a sane life:

* Work hard on finding a career that fits you.

* Find a wife and start a healthy family.

* Contribute only to good causes (fuck the girl scouts, etc)

* Don't waste money on crap

* Read the great literature and listen to classical music

You don't need instructions for that: it's obvious.

This is the path I choose, but this is squarely outside the realm of the antisocial metalhead.

March 27, 2012, 09:46:23 AM
Putting emphasis on the career..

Time seems to melt away once you move beyond part-time work. Days turn to weeks and then months in what seems like minutes. Though, this isn't necessarily a bad thing as it is part of living... you pay more notice to the lasting moments than the temporary fun. A career that ends in pursuit of an unattainable perfection keeps granting new challenges to overcome, I've found to be most joyful.

March 27, 2012, 03:27:46 PM
fuck the girl scouts
So you really did mean to use the word antisocial.

March 27, 2012, 11:12:03 PM
So you really did mean to use the word antisocial.

Bugger, you got there before me.

"Surviving" is easy.  We all know Metalheads in their twenties, thirties, and possibly even forties, who have secure (shit) jobs which will last them until they retire.  A number of these probably play in a band or two, on the side, as an expression of their love for the music.

"Progressing", on the other hand, seems to be far more difficult for the average "Metalhead".  That guy in his twenties playing local Death Metal gigs every month while he makes his money picking up rubbish in the mornings is going to end up being a guy in his forties playing local Death Metal gigs every month while he makes money picking up rubbish in the mornings (though he might have managed to procure a steady girlfriend/wife and child[ren] by then).

It's not a glamorous life, by any means, but I can accept that it could be considered to be pretty damn good for somebody with the intelligence to deny this broken society and a passion for our music/aesthetic.  I'm not looking to make millions in the city, or to pave my way to stardom with derivative crowd-pleasing "Metal", and I suppose that having a physically stimulating job, a good family, and a kick-ass band in which to play would allow me to enjoy and explore life at a comfortable, easy pace, but it's not challenging in the slightest, and leads us all absolutely bloody nowhere except right back where we've been since the '80s (or worse, depending on your perspective of the decline of modernity).

Hessians need to do more than "survive": we need to coalesce and raise our culture into the real world, instead of keeping it locked in the human world of ideas, dreams, and rubbish collection.

If Kerry King's opinion is causing an automatic dismissal of an entire sub genre, then these fans have a wider problem than lack of appreciation for death metal.

I would stick with some far older: tradition itself.

Live a unsane life:

* Don´t Work hard .

* Find a Bitch , Find a Bitch, Find a Bitch and (Hi Lemmy).

* Contribute only to good causes (fuck the girl scouts, etc) yes.

*  waste money on crap and cds - tape - vinyls - METAL shows and more.

* Read the great Hustler - PlayBoy and Slayer magazine and listen to Metal all day all life.

You don't need instructions for that: it's obvious. if you are really Metalheads.

pd: kerry king FUCK OFF.
greeting from CHILE.

Hessians need to do more than "survive": we need to coalesce and raise our culture into the real world, instead of keeping it locked in the human world of ideas, dreams, and rubbish collection.

I feel no need in impressing others with hessian culture. I'm glad that your average low IQ metalhead has no clue about real music. I'm happy with gaining pleasure from Burzum/Darkthrone and I really don't care if it spreads out into the "real world".

There's no way to spread out into the rest of society without being dragged down to the mediocrity of modern culture. As all culture is subjective and one day will disappear... I only care about discovering better music and sharing it with those who actually care.

I only care about discovering better music and sharing it with those who actually care.

Thus forming friendships, bonds, relationships, and ultimately, a (micro)culture. You can't escape it, holmes, culture is INHERENT to humans!

Best to promote a healthy culture, in the face of all the shit around today.

The older I am, I have less friends and less friends desire, in fact long discard those that do not listen to metal or share my tastes, as to waste my time to show something that did not live or what you do not really believe, from less metalheads better, we become stronger (this in my personal life) work is another thing. because I deal with people from the same workplace, but outside of it I am not obliged to accept their invitations or any type of relationship.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're not into metal, you are not my friend

Heavy metal or no metal at all whimps and posers leave the hall
Heavy metal or no metal at all whimps and posers I said
Leave the hall
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're not into metal, you are not my friend

I find most metalheads to be awful because they usually only listen to shitty music or ONLY listen to heavy metal. Some of the stupider metalheads won't be caught dead listening to classical.