Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

What I hate about metal forums

What I hate about metal forums
March 15, 2012, 11:49:13 AM
A discussion starts. It has promise; content, even.

For example: "What bands made better albums at a time later in their careers?"

It reaches an apex and people find clear examples in the old school bands.

For example: Carcass, Bolt Thrower, Deceased and Megadeth.

And then in comes a stream of people, shambling and hiding behind their bullet belts and vest jackets, etc. who mention bands no one except a niche-clique cares about.

For example: "Oh, definitely CHRIST INSERTION and NECROBOMBAST. Maybe DOG OF THE APOCALYPSE. Yeah, that's the ticket."

It seems to me that's what crushes metal in general. Everyone must participate, and for that reason, they invent importance to music that is irrelevant drivel in the big picture.

Outside of the niche-clique, no one cares about your local bands, your novelties, and flavor of the week. This stuff is a self-referential group selling stuff to themselves. It reminds me of how the Western nations are now structured around a "consumer" population that seems oblivious to the fact that, outside of our fat-lazy prole-ocracies, Kesha and Jodi Piccoult are worthless drivel.

Re: What I hate about metal forums
March 16, 2012, 02:27:30 AM
The great thing about this forum is that most people understand your sentiment and are generally exclusionists of the 'quality over quantity' mindset. Once that is understood it opens the way for some great discussions which is one of the reasons I only come back here after so many years.

March 16, 2012, 11:24:46 PM
What I hate about metal forums is not knowing what metal is, and not being able to bear listening to it, to find out.

March 17, 2012, 07:16:13 AM
If you want a starting point you could just read the reviews for the top 1-3 bands in each genre's page and get a feel for why they are so "special" to DLA without listening to them. You could then later decide to listen to just the top 1 artist for each genre to place noise to the words. I'm not going to pretend that everyone will love metal, but I feel the reviews for our top albums give some very good insight as to what it is we see and appreciate in metal.

Or,

You can listen to classical and talk to us about how much you like listening to Beethoven's 5th.

March 20, 2012, 01:40:00 PM
Pipe Beethoven's 5th through a DS-1 and you'll get the general idea.

March 20, 2012, 03:57:12 PM
A discussion starts. It has promise; content, even.

For example: "What bands made better albums at a time later in their careers?"

It reaches an apex and people find clear examples in the old school bands.

For example: Carcass, Bolt Thrower, Deceased and Megadeth.

And then in comes a stream of people, shambling and hiding behind their bullet belts and vest jackets, etc. who mention bands no one except a niche-clique cares about.

For example: "Oh, definitely CHRIST INSERTION and NECROBOMBAST. Maybe DOG OF THE APOCALYPSE. Yeah, that's the ticket."

It seems to me that's what crushes metal in general. Everyone must participate, and for that reason, they invent importance to music that is irrelevant drivel in the big picture.

Outside of the niche-clique, no one cares about your local bands, your novelties, and flavor of the week. This stuff is a self-referential group selling stuff to themselves. It reminds me of how the Western nations are now structured around a "consumer" population that seems oblivious to the fact that, outside of our fat-lazy prole-ocracies, Kesha and Jodi Piccoult are worthless drivel.

Exactly the reason why it's so impossible to discuss anything properly on the metal archives forum...I still lurk there though.

March 21, 2012, 01:19:13 PM
This isn't specific to metal forums, everywhere you go some hipster is putting you down for not knowing about his favorite obscure band.

March 21, 2012, 03:32:46 PM
"What I hate about metal forums"

Everything?