Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Equality and diversity = child abuse

Equality and diversity = child abuse
March 16, 2012, 03:57:14 AM
Having failed at all previous attempts, the utopian idealists now require academic negligence of kids to achieve the diversified equality ideal.

They have resorted to counting the number of black and white children pictured in exams to reduce “potential bias” in this year's tests, it was revealed.

Test developers analysed papers – sat by up to 600,000 children in England – to ensure they do not prejudice ethnic minorities, the disabled and boys as opposed to girls by using images that promote one group over another.

But Ofqual, the qualifications watchdog, says examiners should go even further to minimise bias for "protected" groups.

This could result in exam bosses monitoring the performance of gay and bisexual pupils in English, maths and science tests.

Critics have attacked the recommendations and claim that Ofqual should concentrate on monitoring exam standards instead of promoting equality.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9134735/School-exams-subjected-to-equality-checks-to-stamp-out-bias.html

Perhaps only in today's PC-dominated academy does a dean of a Law School reflexively equate plain-to-see divergence in behavior with difficult-to-prove accusations of discrimination.  Dean Edley surely knows that blacks are more likely than whites to be convicted of criminal offenses and that this gap cannot be blamed on "discrimination."  And why should frequent expulsions signify a school's academic insufficiency?  This is a mind-boggling non sequitur, given that there is nothing in these data about academic performance.  Tough discipline can just as easily be taken as proof of academic commitment.  If schools let up on blacks to equalize suspensions, would students suddenly become smarter or more industrious?  Kicking out troublemakers would improve overall academic achievement.  To be impolite, the stupidity of Edley's "logic" is breathtaking -- and from a distinguished Berkeley professor, no less.

Chester Finn begins on a reasonable note -- racism is not necessarily the cause of this gap, and it would be a mistake to keep a disruptive student in class.  Moreover, he adds, some of this discrepancy may reflect excessive enforcement of a zero-tolerance policy.  But, this reasonableness soon ends, and what began as school discipline problem quickly becomes a "let's fix society" enterprise (unequal punishment reflects "larger societal issues").  So to eradicate school misbehavior, we must fix troubled families, even troubled neighborhoods -- and, for good measure, repair America's criminal justice system.  In other words, Finn is a self-defined conservative happy to launch a new Great Society so as to eliminate statistical discrepancies whose meaning is uncertain.

Neither expert even raises the possibility that unequal outcomes might be justified and therefore not a problem requiring budget-busting attention.  Both unconsciously embrace the radical egalitarian agenda.  Nor do Edley and Finn broach the possibility that keeping kids in school who don't want to be there explains their disruptive behavior, and allowing legal, peaceable exits would instantly reduce suspensions and expulsions.  Nor do they acknowledge that a few troublemakers can "infect" scores of other students, so better to get rid of the ringleaders before matters deteriorate.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/03/racial_discrepancy_madness_spreads.html

Re: Equality and diversity = child abuse
March 16, 2012, 05:11:47 AM
I'll reply later when I have more time, but while I am away:

http://i.imgur.com/X6pM3.jpg

March 16, 2012, 10:26:05 PM
Some backward redneck schools are still reactionary:

E.g., "All persons are created equal, so since you made a C in this class, you haven't been working as hard as you should."
 Even though people are supposedly created equal politically, it does not follow that they are created equal in academic pursuits."

http://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/accident.html

March 16, 2012, 11:23:27 PM
The irony is too ironic, perhaps for those not versed in irony.
I sometimes wonder where you got your own mega-dose from...
Ah - I know: Irony Supplements, from the local Health Food Store, where all the staff, as well as the customers, look like they are about to keel over.
If I didn't have a gluten-allergy, I wouldn't be seen dead in such places.
Although - come to think of it - I might.
Be seen.
Dead.

I'm really not sure irony is a good thing.

March 17, 2012, 05:23:23 PM
The irony is too ironic, perhaps for those not versed in irony.
I sometimes wonder where you got your own mega-dose from...
Ah - I know: Irony Supplements, from the local Health Food Store, where all the staff, as well as the customers, look like they are about to keel over.
If I didn't have a gluten-allergy, I wouldn't be seen dead in such places.
Although - come to think of it - I might.
Be seen.
Dead.

I'm really not sure irony is a good thing.

Whats up with you and your god damn riddles? Can you just say it plainly?

March 17, 2012, 06:02:52 PM
I could.
But where's the fun in that?
I wage a holy war against the overly-serious!
Everybody dies, but the goal is to die laughing.

March 17, 2012, 07:17:55 PM
Too much purple prose and your language is so colorful I don't get your meaning, crow. It pays to be direct.

Anyway, onto the topic. Looks like I'm home-schooling my kids. Fuck advancement, fuck intelligence, fuck the future of bright kids; EQUALITY!

March 17, 2012, 07:37:01 PM
The French have this way of saying it: Je m'amuse.
"I amuse myself."
I think that sums it up rather well.
One uses one's internet connection as one sees fit.
I use mine to amuse myself.
Interspersed with moments of revelation, which I contribute, with no specific goal in mind.

Besides, I find it a good thing that Shakespeare, for example, refrained from writing like everybody else.
That is why people remember him.

March 19, 2012, 07:05:52 PM
I could.
But where's the fun in that?
I wage a holy war against the overly-serious!
I hate unnecessarily serious people too, but this isn't D&D and you aren't the bard.

Looks like I'm home-schooling my kids.
Send him to regular school so he gets a feel for where society is at, maybe get in a few fistfights. I think being exposed to a lot of stupidity is better for the kid than being too sheltered.

March 19, 2012, 07:23:06 PM
Who is to say this isn't D&D and that I am not the bard?
I am what I am, when I am. Aren't you?
It is what it is, for me, when I decide it is. Isn't it for you?

You want a serious discussion, then be serious.
You want to laugh and have fun, make it so.
You want a fight? Start fighting.
Of course, whatever you may want is only one side of the equation.

What are you looking for, right now? Express it.
Who knows what may happen, as a result?

March 20, 2012, 01:39:17 PM
No one knows how to behave anymore. You can be serious about a topic, light-hearted and playful in tone, and yet reverent in approach. None of this is rocket science but in our one-dimensional world it seems to be.

March 20, 2012, 05:11:04 PM
Send him to regular school so he gets a feel for where society is at, maybe get in a few fistfights. I think being exposed to a lot of stupidity is better for the kid than being too sheltered.

Good point. I'll want him/her to toughen up a bit. Exclusively homeschooled kids tend to be shut-ins in my experience.

March 20, 2012, 06:00:11 PM

Good point. I'll want him/her to toughen up a bit. Exclusively homeschooled kids tend to be shut-ins in my experience.

You can always just rape/beat them yourself. That's how most people do it.

I haven't noticed this tendency about homeschooled kids, provided the parents aren't crazy. If anything, the kids are bolder and more intellectually curious.

March 20, 2012, 09:00:18 PM
You can always just rape/beat them yourself. That's how most people do it.

provided the parents aren't crazy.

Hah, damn your sharp wit.

The area where I grew up is notorious for producing shallow, hollow people; the few kids that I knew who WERE home schooled were shy, introverted, and a bit awkward (probably because of their parents). Most of them were much more pleasant than public school kids though.

March 20, 2012, 09:12:24 PM
The area where I grew up is notorious for producing shallow, hollow people; the few kids that I knew who WERE home schooled were shy, introverted, and a bit awkward (probably because of their parents). Most of them were much more pleasant than public school kids though.

There's probably a causal relationship between the two. For me one of the most shocking revelations of this life was the realization that no amount of education, laws, regulations, process/procedures (ISO 9002), etc. could turn vapid people or stupid people into responsible fellow citizens.

Home schooling can be awesome, but it depends on parents, and their reasons for homeschooling. If the parent is homeschooling the kid to indoctrinate them, then there's going to be problems later. There are also some nice public schools, generally in all-white semi-rural and affluent areas (go figure) but these are more fascist than Hitler. It's part of the secret of their success: more interesting work, more Draconian rules. Oh well.