Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Mike Smith Leaves Suffocation

Mike Smith Leaves Suffocation
March 21, 2012, 07:09:07 PM
Not surprising, given their constant touring with terrible bands and string of bad albums.

The decision was pretty much inevitable. When we first reunited, the economy was in a much different place and I was able to make Suffocation my full-time job. Over the last few years the ability to tour and support a house, family and all it entails, became a strain on myself and my family. Once you reach a certain point financially, decisions have to be made before falling to a point of no return.

http://www.sickdrummermagazine.com/index.php/news/latest-news/2370-mike-smith-talks-about-leaving-suffocation.html

Re: Mike Smith Leaves Suffocation
March 22, 2012, 01:26:28 AM
Fuck, that's terrible.

Then again, the direction they went (metalcore) pandered to hipsters, and there's nothing as faithless as an indie hipster.

"Suffocation? That's so yesterday."

March 22, 2012, 12:53:09 PM
What's the bad blood about?

March 22, 2012, 01:46:49 PM
It sounds like he was angry at their touring guitarist and bassist for not taking the job seriously.

The new drummer won't have a hard time, because the hired guitarists can't play the songs, so he will have nothing to worry about. Whatever songs are played will be the same ones we've been playing for the last 1000 shows or so. Forcing the crew to learn and practice all the Suffo songs was a battle that later became not worth fighting for. You're only as strong as the weak links in a band.

March 22, 2012, 02:10:24 PM
He seemed to allude to some older things with founding members...or did I read that wrong?

March 22, 2012, 04:34:14 PM
Fascinating:

I only direct my concerns with founding stake holding members. The respect that the brand gained and deserves was always a sour issue. In my opinion, it was always a simple concept to respect and protect the brand/band you created. No exceptions. Anyone who knows the dynamics of the band and the individual members already have a realistic understanding of why things could turn for the worst at any moment.

(1) He mentions brand. I've always thought this was really important: if your brand is a certain type of music, you don't corrupt it by releasing Ilud Divanum Insanus.

(2) I think he's alluding to the gap between the respect the band deserved, and what it got, after Cannibal Corpse robbed their style.

He seems more intelligent than average by a long shot. Might be an interesting fellow to know.

There are not many things related to the suffocation brand I can honestly say brings me sadness. Except, the lack of pride that exists within those who have the “right” to claim the name as their own.

This battle has been one that to any focused being, should make obvious sense but has evaded some for 2 decades. Within any foundation the weakest link will always cause all structure to crumble.

The one fact that keeps me at peace is the fact that anyone who has ever seen or spoken to me regarding Suffocation and the industry as a whole, has always left with an understanding of the level of focus and pride that I personally hold for myself, the brand that is Suffocation and the genre We influence and helped create.

As I“ve always said, if you are willing to put your time and soul towards anything at all as I“ve done within the metal community.

Be willing to speak truths, fight and bleed for it if need be. Or take your earned position in the back and wait while others do it for you.

http://www.smithblast.com/

March 23, 2012, 01:47:30 AM
I remember randomly when I was working in a hardware store near my (then) home in Long Island, Mike came in one night when I was on the cash register. When he came up to check out his items, all my 17 year old fanboy self could say was "you guys are fucking awesome!" He laughed and said thanks, and we shook hands. Was pretty memorable.

Shame he won't be involved in Suffocation anymore. I've always thought his drumming really gave their sound character. Culross was pretty awesome on the releases he played on, but it won't be the same.

March 23, 2012, 02:26:24 AM
When he came up to check out his items, all my 17 year old fanboy self could say was "you guys are fucking awesome!"

I think this is totally normal and the correct response at any age.

March 23, 2012, 04:10:41 AM
When you consider that Cannibal Corpse's new album just broke into the American Billboard charts at #38, selling just shy of 10,000 copies in its first week, you can see why he would be frustrated by the lack of success by Suffocation.

They came out about the same time as Cannibal Corpse, and from the same state, even.

Cannibal Corpse went on to become the highest-selling extreme metal act of all time (over 500,000 records sold total), yet most Suffocation records probably haven't even sold 10,000 total.

Even though Suffocation's toured a ton recently, I doubt they pulled in much of a profit considering most of those gigs were the typical 5-band, $20 shows in small clubs and bars.

March 24, 2012, 11:47:47 PM
And when you consider that Suffocation is 400x the band that Cannibal Corpse is...

The Cannibal Corpse guys are good people. I don't think even they would claim their band is "good." It's entertainment and a certain amount of technical musicianship.

Like Hootie and the Blowfish, 0peth, Dave Matthews Band, ABBA, etc.

March 25, 2012, 12:01:43 AM
He seems more intelligent than average by a long shot. Might be an interesting fellow to know.
He was actually interviewed by this website: http://www.anus.com/metal/about/interviews/suffocation/

March 25, 2012, 01:11:16 AM
The last time or two I had seen Suffocation, Smith seemed altogethr uninspired with the whole affair. His playing didn't shine at all - nothing like seeing him back in the early 90's. He has also made various comments in recent years that suggest he expected recognition well beyond the realities of the type of music he/they played.

Here Ross and Bob from Immolation put forward a realistic view of where DM fits in the recognition/stardom spectrum at about the :35 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc3LwhQ1T0A

March 25, 2012, 03:03:28 AM
The last time or two I had seen Suffocation, Smith seemed altogether uninspired with the whole affair. His playing didn't shine at all - nothing like seeing him back in the early 90's.

He answers that at @3:10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JB8eVwiN_w.

Though when I seen them this year he put on a relentless show.

March 25, 2012, 02:01:01 PM
He has also made various comments in recent years that suggest he expected recognition well beyond the realities of the type of music he/they played.

Watching Cannibal Corpse, Slipknot, Korn, etc. steal the show must be really painful. In fact, I don't want to think about it.

Suffocation, Deicide, Morbid Angel, etc. deserved more.

The only ones who got recognized were like Sepultura and At the Gates, all sold out, and then the recognition was tasteless and they got bitter and fell apart.

March 26, 2012, 02:09:38 AM
^ True!