Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Lord of the Rings with live orchestra (!!!)

Lord of the Rings with live orchestra (!!!)
March 22, 2012, 09:25:59 PM
Join us for an exciting, brand-new journey into the realm of Middle Earth. Over 250 musicians and singers will perform the movie soundtrack live as you watch the full-length film of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

See it from the beginning as Frodo and Sam, with the help of the Fellowship, undertake the perilous quest of taking the Ring of Power to the land of Mordor. Relive your journey into Middle Earth with this extraordinary pairing of film and live music.

http://www.houstonsymphony.org/calendar/view.aspx?id=4047

MLK

shame the soundtrack is crap.

I can't agree. It's background music; there's a good reason classical doesn't accept soundtrack as part of its canon. However, it's good for what it is, in part because it's derivative. I normally don't like the songwriter's work either but I think in this case Peter Jackson browbeat him into effectiveness.

MLK

I can't agree. It's background music; there's a good reason classical doesn't accept soundtrack as part of its canon. However, it's good for what it is, in part because it's derivative. I normally don't like the songwriter's work either but I think in this case Peter Jackson browbeat him into effectiveness.
That surprises me, normally wouldn't expect you to accept 'background music' as an excuse for something being half-assed.

Film soundtrack is not really high art; even still, here it could've been done better.

Its saccharine and repetitive; a handful of cheap emotional cues recycled verbatim over the course of 9 or so hours (?) of film. Only way to keep the proles reminded that its the same story they're watching, maybe.

I don't know what the story is in America but over here things like this seem to devour big chunks of orchestra's concert series programs; because the state funding bodies they live off expect them to do things to keep the idiots satisfied ("come see the music of the movies!!"). Seems a waste of great talent, and I can imagine a lot of amazing orchestral musicians getting very bored doing this.

It's a movie soundtrack. It's grade B material and will not compare to the Bruckner, Sans-Saens, Respighi and Dead Can Dance it was ripped from. But it's there to support the movie and serves its role adequately. I would not listen to it outside of the movie.