Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Non-Metal

Non-Metal
February 18, 2005, 01:49:18 AM
I know this is a metal board, but I'm interested in the non-metal preferences of a metal-loving crowd, excluding classical which I'm already very much familiar with. Non-metal I like currently: Autechre, Biosphere, Kraftwerk, Endura, Neptune Towers, Northaunt, Lustmord, Lord Wind, Beherit (EDS), a few other metal side projects + The Doors, King Crimson

Recommendations+Discussion+etc would be welcome.

Re: Non-Metal
February 18, 2005, 02:15:18 AM
I like Vinterikket's "...und die Nacht kam Schweren Schrittes" very much. Any other standouts from this ambient project?

Also, what are thoughts on Beherit's "H418ov21.C" and "Electric Doom Synthesis"?

February 18, 2005, 08:40:51 PM
autechre is great stuff. i'm trying to get into kraftwerk and tangerine dream as well.

Beherit - electric doom synthesis is an essential release, and the title says it all. i wouldn't bother with the other one, though admittedly i haven't given it more than a couple of listens.

February 18, 2005, 09:25:18 PM
I don't know if you omitted DEAD CAN DANCE but their albums through "Aion" are essential.  They have had me transfixed since I discovered them.

February 18, 2005, 10:22:45 PM
If you like ambient like Neptune Towers you'll love Klaus Schultz.  Schultz is awesome, particularly his work from the mid to late 70's.  If you like Lustmord (one of my favorites btw), then you should like Schultz as well.

King Crimson's albums are the peak of progressive rock to me.  In the Court of the Crimson King and Red are two albums I have heard and love.

Some other non-metal music:

-Dead Can Dance

-Swans (good nihilistic new york no-wave band.  has almost a zen meditation approach towards some of the vocals and some baroque, punk, and industrial sounds.)

-Rocky Erikson (brain behind the psych band 13th Floor Elevators.  His solo career had some interesting rock based music with some lyrics you really have to hear.  At this point in his career he was just out of the mad house)

-Peter Ware (modern composer who has some compostitions I rather enjoy. http://www.acoma-co.com/page9.html)

-Mike Oldfield (composer of Tubular bells)

-Inade (fantastic ambient band)

those are just a few of the non-metal acts that popped into my head right now.  There's many more I listen to, I'll perhaps touch on more of them later.

February 18, 2005, 11:34:14 PM
for anyone that likes autechre or kraftwerk i reccomend checking out the following:

plaid
boards of canada
squarepusher
polygon window
two lone swordsman
oval
ladytron
vexion
proswell
temp sound solutions

schulze is good, although i usually prefer tangerine dream.

i didn't care for h418ov21.c but electric doom synthesis, when i can stomach listening to it, is great.

gordian knot - s/t anyone?

enya - watermark, shepherd moons.

here's the next big thing for me along with the electronic mentioned above. 80s pop (no not the songs, there were excellent albums that they came from):

a-ha - hunting high and low
depeche mode - speak and spell through black celebration (when they hit '89 or so they started to suck ;))
tears for fears - the hurting, songs from the big chair
wang chung - points on the curve, mosaic
soft cell - non stop erotic cabaret
men without hats - rhythm of youth, folk of the 80s
talk talk - the party's over, it's my life, colour of spring
the buggles - the age of plastic
the human league - dare
fad gadget
orchestral maneovres in the dark - orginisation, etc.
new order - movement, power corruption and lies, low-life
yaz - upstairs at erics
gary numan
a flock of seagulls - s/t
cutting crew - broadcast
duran duran - s/t, rio

really, all of these are brilliant artists/albums and i spent the time to type them out since no one else probably would have.

oh and of course, the greatest album ever made...

WINGER - S/T!!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2005, 11:37:04 PM
I don't know if you omitted DEAD CAN DANCE but their albums through "Aion" are essential.  They have had me transfixed since I discovered them.

Hah, they're probably my favourite of the lot. No idea how I managed to forget them.

February 19, 2005, 12:45:53 AM
I have no great love of popular music outside metal, for the most part.  Listening to cheesy pop works about as well as anything.  I suppose you could try Univers Zero, sounds like death metal written for older instruments.

February 28, 2005, 01:56:54 AM
GG ALLIN all the way. other then that i only listen to metal

March 06, 2005, 05:49:27 PM
GG ALLIN all the way. other then that i only listen to metal

LMAO

euronymous

March 09, 2005, 01:00:57 PM
This thread makes me no longer ashamed of liking Symphony X  

...and other things.

;D

March 09, 2005, 11:53:34 PM
www.kcuf.com

they have an excellent selection of ambient. thule, by the way, is a really good project.

March 15, 2005, 12:56:16 AM
Beethoven.

March 15, 2005, 03:25:02 AM
Beethoven, Mozart, Schumann, Brahms, Haydn, Schubert....

Tangerine Dream, Neptune Towers, Kraftwerk, Wolfsheim, Brian Eno, Biosphere, Burzum, Robert Fripp, VNV Nation....

REM, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson...

July 09, 2005, 07:17:30 PM
Anything but Mendelssohn.