Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Conformity

Conformity
March 23, 2012, 01:33:12 PM
I am a nihilist, that means I accept no thought which I cannot figure out is true for myself.

A lot of the posts in this board, are using bias that is out there in the media or society. You don't know it but you have come a parrot. How many of your opinions are your own, and how many did you read or see on tv? They sounded right and you needed something like that to explain yourself, so you've adopted them, like a crutch.

But are they real? Are they yours?

NHA

Re: Conformity
March 23, 2012, 02:08:24 PM
Its just one of many mental traps that one can fall into.

WTB dictionary of dysfunctional thought patterns.

March 24, 2012, 05:07:26 PM
Opinions seduce us. You'd have to refine your self awareness to extremes or practice restraint similar to fighting sexual urges. Even then you won't know what made you take on a certain opinion.

March 24, 2012, 05:32:41 PM
Opinions are complaints against reality.
They state how you think things should be.
Little by little, reality loses definition, and only opinion remains.
I gave up on opinions some time ago.
I deal only with reality, now.

March 24, 2012, 05:40:32 PM
Opinions are complaints against reality.
They state how you think things should be.

Very true.

Two ways to view this:

(1) Everything is an opinion, including facts. Thus we choose the ones we desire, and some of us choose reality.

(2) The way you stated above.

I don't think opinions are themselves projections. I think the problem is that someone in an egomaniac frame of mind, like 99% of the people around us (this goes down to 84% after age 65), will project themselves into everything.

It's like semiotic rape, built from the ego outward instead of from reality inward.

March 24, 2012, 07:19:35 PM
I am a nihilist, that means I accept no thought which I cannot figure out is true for myself.

A lot of the posts in this board, are using bias that is out there in the media or society. You don't know it but you have come a parrot. How many of your opinions are your own, and how many did you read or see on tv? They sounded right and you needed something like that to explain yourself, so you've adopted them, like a crutch.

But are they real? Are they yours?

This is true. I love a lot of things about this board. But as I get older the absolutes offered here are less and less clear as any others. I don't think very many people here actually have kids, wives or families, and thus there is a lot of perspective wholly lacking. I wish this website offered a hessian-parenting guide. Then again, does anyone here get laid?

March 24, 2012, 07:44:07 PM
Haha! That's funny. The question nobody dared to ask.
I am pleased to present this cunning observation...
Advancing age has some surprising benefits:
Finally the obsession with 'getting-laid' fades and disappears.
I speak only for myself here, as someone who spent entirely too much time and energy chasing such things.
Now I get to use that time and energy on other things.
Finally!

Imagine how many stamps I might have collected.
Tea Spoons, from various seaside towns.
Socks I might have darned, etc...

March 24, 2012, 08:10:22 PM
Everyone I know IRL who visits this board gets laid.  I don't know about the rest of you guys.

In response to the OP: I've just spent the past few months infiltrating Descartes's meditations.  The upshot of my research is that, since nothing can be said to be real, nothing can be said to really matter, especially not this crap : )

March 24, 2012, 08:30:08 PM
You mean, you're not sure you exist?
That would be a problem.
But only if you do.

March 24, 2012, 09:54:52 PM
"Some of us choose reality"

What is "reallity" anyway?  Only death is "real", the rest are paths that someone chooses. Some are destructive, some are not. Life is always a struggle against death.

March 24, 2012, 10:25:28 PM
Once again: reality defined in purely human terms.
Reality has nothing to do with humans.
Why are humans unable to understand this?

March 24, 2012, 11:38:54 PM
Reality has nothing to do with humans.
Humans are not part of reality?

March 25, 2012, 12:03:02 AM
Not when they actively counter it.
More like an out of control virus that attacks reality.
Virus plenty dumb: kill host, not good idea.
Virus learn to not kill host: virus plenty smart!

March 25, 2012, 12:10:05 AM
Not when they actively counter it.
More like an out of control virus that attacks reality.
Virus plenty dumb: kill host, not good idea.
Virus learn to not kill host: virus plenty smart!
Even with this explanation in mind, you're still saying reality has something to do with humans (and vice versa). I know I decontextualized your statement originally, but you still seem to be suggesting a position you don't actually hold.

March 25, 2012, 12:15:05 AM
I hold no position. I have no preference. I am aware of the nature of reality, whereas it has become clear to me that most do not.
Thank you for not making much of what is always an imperfect choice of wording.
I am dealing, here, with concepts alien to many.
And none too clear to me, either.