Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Divine Eve

Divine Eve
March 24, 2012, 03:36:57 AM
In particular, the bulk of the material heard here are classic CELTIC FROST-style droning verse passages. These are complex and follow the rhythms of the lyrics with several variations. Even when uptempo riffs, reminiscent of CIANIDE, carve their way into each passage, the overall mood of a pervasive and inexorable doom is maintained. On top of this the band pile dark choruses straight off an early CATHEDRAL record and exchanges of death metal riffs that give meat and density to each song, and PARADISE LOST-style lead melodic riffing that drapes each song in an aura of mystery and potential.

What makes this material more advanced than past DIVINE EVE is its consistency. Each part relates to every other part, no matter how simply. There is no extraneous material, or riffs fumbling around for a place in a stream of similar riffs, which gives these tracks more of the early metal feel of NWOBHM or 1980s doom metal.

http://www.deathmetal.org/news/divine-eve-preview-of-2012-album/

That droning feel is there, even when the riffs are faster, as they tend to be. Like Celtic Frost, they trudge and drone but keep a manic and evil energy. On top of those the band pile numerous death metal riff barrages, and then the kind of single-string melodic riffing that crested Paradise Lost songs with an evocative beauty. The result has the intensity of NYHC, the mood of Celtic Frost or early dark death metal, and the deep atmosphere of a doom metal band.

It fits right in with past Divine Eve material, but is more consistent and refined; there's no fat on these tracks. As a result the band drops you into an experience that makes sense from start to finish, like letting your mind rest in the grips of an expert storyteller, and reality is suspended while you listen. But be warned: this is not the stuff of sweet dreams, more like of encompassing nightmares that rush at you and enclose you before you can jolt yourself awake.

http://www.examiner.com/metal-music-in-houston/preview-of-the-new-divine-eve-album

Re: Divine Eve
March 24, 2012, 01:28:26 PM
Interesting. I myself have fairly enjoyed both EP's, but also tend to find them both wanting when long term worthiness is considered. Genuinely cool riffs and a strong sense of continuity (in and in between individual songs), sure, but they can become quite derivative and melodically stagnant (almost no actual progression, mostly circularity) . Here's hoping that they will drop the Celtic Frost worship (which is definitely fun, but one has to ask why not just listen to the real thing?) and rather use the afore-mentioned group's strong sense of dynamics and riff-craft as a base towards forging their own musical language. There is good potential here, me thinks, so fingers crossed.

March 24, 2012, 02:53:26 PM
Dude!!!

I was wondering if this was ever going to materialize.  I'm eager to hear this because, as Whisper points out, in a sense, Divine Eve hasn't been put to the true test yet in terms of making a complete full-length.  I'm betting they pull it off, though.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

March 24, 2012, 11:44:25 PM
I don't think the problem is the Celtic Frost worship per se. If they have a weakness, it's too many similar tempos and riffs, but we're not going to know that from two song samples. The Crimson Relic material showed great variation, and the parts of the 2nd EP that are new showed even more, so I wouldn't worry about that. Besides, a lot of the great bands show essentially little variation and are great at it. Ildjarn? BURZUM? Immolation?