Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin
July 19, 2010, 06:19:10 PM
http://earfarm.com/features/daily-feature/monday/1820

Hilarious list of stuff they've "borrowed," mostly from white English group and English folk songs.

I've never managed to like Led Zeppelin, but now I know they're not really a band, so much as a funnel for all sorts of material...

Re: Led Zeppelin
July 19, 2010, 06:32:30 PM
I've never managed to like Led Zeppelin...

That about sums it up for me. Other than invoking some pleasant nostalgia regarding car backseats and loose teenage girls in the 80's, Zepplin has always loomed for me as impossibly overrated, and just not that interesting. 

July 20, 2010, 10:23:12 AM
I don't care if they've borrowed ideas, they've made superior music out of them.

I enjoy Led Zeppelin, but I admit nostalgia plays a role -- before Metallica, Led Zep was my band.

I can't really stand their really bluesy numbers anymore, but the epics, like Achilles' Last Stand and Kashmir, are still great.

July 20, 2010, 11:01:04 AM
Never really been a fan of them, mostly because of Plant's whiny delivery. Musically, they've had some numbers which have caught my ear, and I do appreciate what influence they did have, but when it comes down to it I just don't listen to them by choice.

July 20, 2010, 01:37:29 PM
It should be noted that all of the tracks mentioned in the article are from their early period. Their golden years (1971-1975) were constituted almost entirely by excellent original material.
I don't care if they've borrowed ideas, they've made superior music out of them.

I enjoy Led Zeppelin, but I admit nostalgia plays a role -- before Metallica, Led Zep was my band.

I can't really stand their really bluesy numbers anymore, but the epics, like Achilles' Last Stand and Kashmir, are still great.
I concur. Their masterwork was "No Quarter".(Please excuse the bizarre album art). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKOngTfTMs0&feature=related
Never really been a fan of them, mostly because of Plant's whiny delivery. Musically, they've had some numbers which have caught my ear, and I do appreciate what influence they did have, but when it comes down to it I just don't listen to them by choice.
I've never heard anyone make that criticism of his voice before. His whine factor is definitely much lower than that of Billy Corgan or Axel Rose, for example.

July 20, 2010, 02:32:16 PM
I like them,but not iin the way I like music, but more like a book or poetry or something.  They create entertainment that is also stimulating and not just cerebral.

They usually admit to their barrowings, and usually use the word "stealing" and "theft" instead.  I never bothered calling them thiefs of black music, as all that black music has it's roots in white music as well, save the banjo related stuff.