Metal > Metal

Metal = Power

<< < (3/6) > >>

Brutally Sodomized:
I aplaud this topic.

The satan and evil metaphors need no explanation accompanying this kind of sound.

Thasis:
Metal is powerful, I will agree. But that's not what defines metal. Atmosphere, message, and ideology is what defines any form of true metal.

More Celt Than Sassenach:
but all of the ideals behind all forms of metal take a powerful sound as there chosen form of expression, so i agree with the statement metal equals power

born for banning:

--- Quote ---but all of the ideals behind all forms of metal take a powerful sound as there chosen form of expression, so i agree with the statement metal equals power
--- End quote ---

Is this the Nietzscheian will to power, a transcendence of morality and fear? I think so. Metal leans toward the overman. It wants us to brush aside moral fears and Christian logic, and to reach for higher aspirations, like the stars... metal is the ultimate creative music, meaning deep-brain stimulus.

Jazz is for submitters and other morons.

STS:

--- Quote ---With all the debating we could do about what metal means, let's look at it critically as sound. It's a violent, powerful, uncentered sound. Anything can happen. When you listen to death metal or even heavy metal, you expect sudden riff changes (nature of power chord riffs as harmonically movable) and there's a constant bassy explosive distortion sound. Even Black Sabbath sounded like a war machine cut loose across the land compared to the (limp-wristed leftist hippie) music of the day.

I'd say rock is moralistic. It starts with a pleasant introduction, deepens into a droning riff or two, and operates around a clear tonal center with ambiguous pentatonic riffing that easily changes key without expressing much except rhythm. It's simpleton music.

Power is what metal conveys. Power is a death of morality. Power is a sense of life being important, like riding a wave or conquering an enemy, and inherently refutes the kind of moralistic crowd-pleasing pap that rock music is. I think that's why we listen to heavy metal and why we love it.
--- End quote ---

Nice post. Breaking this down, the psychologically astute will realize that one of the fundamental blueprints for music (energetically speaking), especially highly influential music, is composed of certain tones, patterns & frequencies which may have their greatest affect latently. This latent process is extremely powerful in it’s dictation of what does and doesn’t create a “special” experience for the listener.

All musical forums incorporate this technique to varying degree; classical & progressive music is perhaps the most complex example of this technique; classically influenced metal music is another good "modern" example as this thread points out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version