Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Metal = Power

Metal = Power
November 30, 2006, 11:18:36 AM
With all the debating we could do about what metal means, let's look at it critically as sound. It's a violent, powerful, uncentered sound. Anything can happen. When you listen to death metal or even heavy metal, you expect sudden riff changes (nature of power chord riffs as harmonically movable) and there's a constant bassy explosive distortion sound. Even Black Sabbath sounded like a war machine cut loose across the land compared to the (limp-wristed leftist hippie) music of the day.

I'd say rock is moralistic. It starts with a pleasant introduction, deepens into a droning riff or two, and operates around a clear tonal center with ambiguous pentatonic riffing that easily changes key without expressing much except rhythm. It's simpleton music.

Power is what metal conveys. Power is a death of morality. Power is a sense of life being important, like riding a wave or conquering an enemy, and inherently refutes the kind of moralistic crowd-pleasing pap that rock music is. I think that's why we listen to heavy metal and why we love it.

Re: Metal = Power
November 30, 2006, 12:44:43 PM
I always thought it was interesting that metal is defined by time.  Black Sabbath is the heaviest band of it's time, but if that music came out now, no one would even call it metal.  It would be stoner rock or something, even if it was exactly the same music.

November 30, 2006, 04:07:05 PM
What about metal that borrows rock techniques?

I'd say that Dimmu's Death Cult Armageddon album is the strongest sounding record I have ever heard despite many rock riffs. The symphonic backing music undoubtably helps this. ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME? is also commonly seen as an extension of power and strength for the listener.

Heavy Classical also conveys this same power as metal.

November 30, 2006, 05:22:30 PM
I always thought it was interesting that metal is defined by time.  Black Sabbath is the heaviest band of it's time, but if that music came out now, no one would even call it metal.  It would be stoner rock or something, even if it was exactly the same music.

I was just listening to Live Evil a couple nights ago and it is a heavy metal album, even with comparison to metal albums of today. It also occured to me that Dio had begun using what we might now identify as death metal vocals during that live album tour, possibly before. I'm pretty sure there was a thread on here about death metal vocals somewhere and where these started. Dio may be the answer.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

November 30, 2006, 10:44:38 PM

I was just listening to Live Evil a couple nights ago and it is a heavy metal album, even with comparison to metal albums of today. It also occured to me that Dio had begun using what we might now identify as death metal vocals during that live album tour, possibly before. I'm pretty sure there was a thread on here about death metal vocals somewhere and where these started. Dio may be the answer.

Dio does always come to mind when trying to come up with the origin of those vocals.  I also notice that if you watch bootlegs of the last few Sex Pistols shows, Johnny Rotten begins singing extremely deep grunts in cover songs and then also does them here and there on the first  Public Image LTD album.  This is interesting as most extreme bands of the 80s claim English Punk as an influence.

December 06, 2006, 02:57:18 PM
The death vocals are like huskier voices used in opera or folk music, just taken to an extreme: emotion at the limits of one's senses.

You can't have power while you have morality. Morality checks you. Will someone be hurt? Will someone be inconvenienced? Will you shatter dreams? Will someone be... offended? Power is the antithesis of that. You see something beautiful and powerful, and conceive something even more so, so you make it happen. Peasants die. Shit happens. But the great thing you did, whether architecture or music or war or invention, lasts eternally in the minds of those who appreciate it.

December 06, 2006, 09:31:13 PM
Metal is an evocation. It is a form of prayer by which one summons forth godlike qualities, or "powers." Therefore, power becomes not only what metal conveys, but also what it is.
"Art remains in the artist and is the knowledge by which things are made. What is made according to the art is correct; what one makes as one likes may very well be awkward. We must not confuse taste with judgment, or loveliness with beauty, for as Augustine says, some people like deformities." -- A.K. Coomaraswamy

December 08, 2006, 06:00:31 PM
True, so very true. To listen to metal and understand it is to become part of that power. Metal is unity of idea in a world of confusion.

December 08, 2006, 06:58:50 PM
Once again Nietzsche comes to mind in this context with his will to power thesis. Metal is just another manifestation of this will to dominate over all.
In a state of permanent Abyss

December 17, 2006, 08:59:01 PM
Once again Nietzsche comes to mind in this context with his will to power thesis. Metal is just another manifestation of this will to dominate over all.

I think it's VERY nietzscheian but maybe the will to power is expressed in a desire for realism, like the way death metal talks about death when everyone else is busy denying it ("he passed away").

December 24, 2006, 04:46:49 AM
I aplaud this topic.

The satan and evil metaphors need no explanation accompanying this kind of sound.

December 25, 2006, 02:52:34 AM
Metal is powerful, I will agree. But that's not what defines metal. Atmosphere, message, and ideology is what defines any form of true metal.

December 25, 2006, 02:57:58 AM
but all of the ideals behind all forms of metal take a powerful sound as there chosen form of expression, so i agree with the statement metal equals power

December 28, 2006, 11:09:40 PM
but all of the ideals behind all forms of metal take a powerful sound as there chosen form of expression, so i agree with the statement metal equals power

Is this the Nietzscheian will to power, a transcendence of morality and fear? I think so. Metal leans toward the overman. It wants us to brush aside moral fears and Christian logic, and to reach for higher aspirations, like the stars... metal is the ultimate creative music, meaning deep-brain stimulus.

Jazz is for submitters and other morons.

STS

December 29, 2006, 02:18:34 AM
With all the debating we could do about what metal means, let's look at it critically as sound. It's a violent, powerful, uncentered sound. Anything can happen. When you listen to death metal or even heavy metal, you expect sudden riff changes (nature of power chord riffs as harmonically movable) and there's a constant bassy explosive distortion sound. Even Black Sabbath sounded like a war machine cut loose across the land compared to the (limp-wristed leftist hippie) music of the day.

I'd say rock is moralistic. It starts with a pleasant introduction, deepens into a droning riff or two, and operates around a clear tonal center with ambiguous pentatonic riffing that easily changes key without expressing much except rhythm. It's simpleton music.

Power is what metal conveys. Power is a death of morality. Power is a sense of life being important, like riding a wave or conquering an enemy, and inherently refutes the kind of moralistic crowd-pleasing pap that rock music is. I think that's why we listen to heavy metal and why we love it.

Nice post. Breaking this down, the psychologically astute will realize that one of the fundamental blueprints for music (energetically speaking), especially highly influential music, is composed of certain tones, patterns & frequencies which may have their greatest affect latently. This latent process is extremely powerful in it’s dictation of what does and doesn’t create a “special” experience for the listener.

All musical forums incorporate this technique to varying degree; classical & progressive music is perhaps the most complex example of this technique; classically influenced metal music is another good "modern" example as this thread points out.
A frog jumped into the pond....

...."plop."