Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Is tape trading dead?

aimanirrajim

Re: Is tape trading dead?
December 07, 2006, 09:52:13 AM
if you like tapes, i suggest you go to siam. there is one label there that is continuing to release rare and good metal albums.. (licensed from other labels mostly) and dont forget to visit neighbouring malaysia. the scene there is totally DEAD, and labels have already stopped realeasing tapes, but there are still many tapes left in stock in some shops.. (most of them date back at least 5 years!!)

December 30, 2006, 01:53:16 PM
I have to say tape tradeing Is DEAD.When I was growing Up it was really Big you would go out into town and search for the tape you are looking for. I have around 800 tapes from where I used to trade.

STS

December 30, 2006, 06:37:26 PM

Surely everything actually worth listening has been transferred to a digital format by now?

Not really. There are tons of classics that are far below the radars of the MP3 generation.

December 31, 2006, 12:56:02 AM

Not really. There are tons of classics that are far below the radars of the MP3 generation.

Indeed!

December 31, 2006, 01:08:20 AM
One other thing.  

I just got an acct at soulseek to download some stuff I couldn't find anywhere else.  Material that is just too obscure or not sought after.  I thought I'd give it a chance anyway.  I didn't have any mp3s on my computer to share when I joined.  I asked someone in a room right away...

ME: Does anyone have the Funeral "Beyond All Sunsets" demo?
Some_Asshole: Not for a leech.

This attitude is "I have it.  I don't need to give it to someone who isn't giving me anything."  As though they have a right to their pirated copy.  Not to say that tape trading didn't propagate a similar phenomenon, but I feel as though these people think because they 'stole' the album, no one else should have it.  Its absurd.  There is no community between who you download music from.

I think the point of trading shouldn't be the format.  It should be something you want to hear from someone who knows their shit (i.e. Kontinual).  Not the convenience of making  folders for the At The Gates releases you're too much of a faggot to not own or sincerely care about.

So maybe tape trading is the most alive form of trading today.  Because it lives in the people who are passionate about this music.  Internet downloads from people as lifeless as their computer circuitry should be considered 'dead'.

December 31, 2006, 01:39:55 AM

Such as? Anyway, why not just rip them to flac and post them on the internet, rather than going through all the hassle of dubbing cassette tapes and sending them through the post?

STS

December 31, 2006, 08:31:26 AM

Such as?

If I told you, you would digitize them and post them to the internet.

January 03, 2007, 06:27:54 PM
If I told you, you would digitize them and post them to the internet.

That would be great, as it would crush the false elitism of some tape traders.

January 03, 2007, 07:50:35 PM

That would be great, as it would crush the false elitism of some tape traders.

That smelled like an attack.  In many cases it isn't the traders wishes but rather the artists to keep their music away from the exploitation of, what passes for, the underground.  

January 04, 2007, 08:50:33 AM
In many cases it isn't the traders wishes but rather the artists to keep their music away from the exploitation of, what passes for, the underground.  

In many but not all cases.

You may sense an attack, but it might not be an attack on a person, only a statement. The statement was not sensible. Do I need to sugar-coat it so the masses aren't offended?

STS

January 04, 2007, 04:51:13 PM

In many but not all cases.

You may sense an attack, but it might not be an attack on a person, only a statement. The statement was not sensible. Do I need to sugar-coat it so the masses aren't offended?

Face it young man, not everyone is going to spoon feed you MP3s.  I don't think any of us 'elite tape traders' are really that upset by anything being posted in mp3 form, but if you seriously require internet file sharing to find classic bands for you then I will be more than happy to not oblige.

January 04, 2007, 05:03:03 PM
its human nature to want to be important, it doesn't matter in what context, if you want a tape a person has that person has power over you and if they like the idea of being important through a massive tape collection they wont easily give you the tape (sort of like how i feel slightly important because of my number of posts)

January 04, 2007, 05:17:10 PM
Face it young man, not everyone is going to spoon feed you MP3s.  I don't think any of us 'elite tape traders' are really that upset by anything being posted in mp3 form, but if you seriously require internet file sharing to find classic bands for you then I will be more than happy to not oblige.

The only people I hear who talk like this are useless scenesters. If the music is good, it wants the widest audience it can get. Idiots still don't dig Bach because they cannot understand it, while idiots are all over jazz and most metal. I think you should consider whether you're helping the metal community, or just creating a clique.

STS

January 04, 2007, 05:33:25 PM

The only people I hear who talk like this are useless scenesters. If the music is good, it wants the widest audience it can get. Idiots still don't dig Bach because they cannot understand it, while idiots are all over jazz and most metal. I think you should consider whether you're helping the metal community, or just creating a clique.

There’s no need for the attitude; and “scenesters” is a local community specific term I think is more or less used in lieu of better retorts. Nice try though.

Here’s what I think- you’re upset that we’re not giving you a free and easy way to discover “new”obscure music via your computer, and personally I’m not against free music, but your attitude is so overarching and childish I don’t think you deserve to be given such a hand out in the first place.

January 05, 2007, 11:33:37 AM
Here’s what I think- you’re upset that we’re not giving you a free and easy way to discover “new”obscure music via your computer

On the other hand, I'm reasonably certain you don't have anything I want. Between mp3 trading here, and "for metal as a community" resources like Gay Christ records, I've got everything I could ever need.

Also I trade CD-Rs with this guy

http://www.metalcurse.com/

And some people from this community

http://s3.invisionfree.com/thesilentenigma

All of those people are content to trade music through mp3s, or just to make it available, because they know if only a few scenesters listen to it the music will die out where if it is shared it lives. And what is the most important? the music. There you have it.

I'm sorry for calling you a scenester. I was just having a rough day. But you act like one. Maybe you are having a rough day, too?